Author Topic: Would a magic circle protect against mental wammys?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Would a magic circle protect against mental wammys?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2023, 07:37:51 PM »
They either create it physically, or more dangerously hold it in their mind, in either event this is something a practitioner does. Butters realised as a non-practitioner he could make a simple circle.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2023, 09:10:54 PM »
They either create it physically, or more dangerously hold it in their mind, in either event this is something a practitioner does. Butters realised as a non-practitioner he could make a simple circle.
yes? Though that's not a summoning circle per se.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2023, 09:52:56 PM »
Which is exactly the point I am making if you read all my posts.

Please stop trying to selectively quote me out of context again.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2023, 10:31:51 PM »
Which is exactly the point I am making if you read all my posts.

Please stop trying to selectively quote me out of context again.
no it's not 🙄 and no I'm not 🙄 give me about 5 hours and I'll take apart every comment of yours in this thread piece by piece my friend.
Idk where you get the linear equation from me pointing out that's not a summoning circle either. That's a direct response. Maybe you'd like to actually quote and respond to a part where I actually did that? Because that's literally a tit for tat conversation. I post something, you post something, I reply directly in response to that. 🤔 and then you deign to reply with this 👀🤷‍♂️
I think circles are a further protection of the White God for humanity, like thresholds or dawn break, if that is so then working from that premise they are proof against supernatural intervention.
And farther, how would TWG, who's agents have no power over outside,(can't even see or protect against it per PT/BG)manage to make said outside, beyond reality, his domain or anywhere he hold power,and manage to uniformly make something apparently block all outsiders, who don't react to reality🤷‍♂️ wheres your thoughts process or are you just wagon? How do circles working equate prevention of supernatural intervention? After all, certain classes of NN are not held by traditional circles, including demon lord's. Are.. demon lord's part of TWGs entourage to come and go as HE pleases? Or is it their own willpower that lets them do so and it's merely a contrivance of most of the NN not possessing of Soul/choice to do so? Would not Nemesis, who allows them to break this, automatically break circles by default like a Demon lord?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 11:54:53 PM by The_Sibelis »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »
The WG is the champion of Free Will for humanity, he closed off the outsiders, limited the power level of gods etc in the mortal realm, and gave humanity protections against the lesser supernatural predators, making a more level playing field for humanity to evolve, not to stultify or seek to rely upon divine intervention to solve its problems. When the Denarians arose to upset that balance, a counter balance was created, the Swords. Uriel has schooled Harry on the balance between the infernal and the Devine and even Harry realises this now.

Again there are different types of circle and circles of protection which provide protection from outside supernatural agency, and cut off power of practitioners within the circle are different to those used for summoning and binding. Binder used the latter to summon his grey men, Molly used the former to cut Binder off from his power rendering them ectoplasm.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2023, 01:36:13 PM »
The WG is the champion of Free Will for humanity, he closed off the outsiders, limited the power level of gods etc in the mortal realm, and gave humanity protections against the lesser supernatural predators, making a more level playing field for humanity to evolve, not to stultify or seek to rely upon divine intervention to solve its problems.
I could pick up any monotheistic religious book and say it holds the answers to creation, but that doesn't really get to the meat of why they all disagree. Same here.

When the Denarians arose to upset that balance, a counter balance was created, the Swords. Uriel has schooled Harry on the balance between the infernal and the Devine and even Harry realises this now.
well actually...
How can Kusanagi be a Sword of the Cross when it predates the crucifixion?
Because the Swords are ideas and symbols as much as they are physical objects–maybe even more so. Kusanagi isn’t the original Kusanagi, Exaclibur isn’t the original Excalibur, etc. But their title, their /idea/ has been passed down from one generation to the next, much as the names of warships are passed down to the next generation of ships, with the new ship inheriting the titles, victories, and traditions of its forbears. The nails are passed on from one sword to the next, bringing bits of the metal of each sword that came before
That implies even if the swords themselves didn't exist before the fall the ideas behind them did, which is to say the avatars of them, the angels. Whom are not TWG and seem to hold over power each individually.(although if you subscribe to the horsemen reborn theory, the 3 would be the first horsemen and TWC/G basically Death having power over all of them) the only thing we can say for sure happened with the nails is the swords became more real, just like the spear. They hold reality. Considering the exchange with ethniu it's actually implied the graces were attached to the swords separately by choice of the attendant angels.
Again there are different types of circle and circles of protection which provide protection from outside supernatural agency,
yes?
and cut off power of practitioners within the circle are different to those used for summoning and binding.
prove it. Define WHY  they are different and how. Because I already took apart the first point of a pentagram, not all wizards use pentagrams. And to elaborate on the other, Merlin's circles still up. He's not alive necessarily though. And as I said, I do believe the original explanation in SF has a bit about toot actually empowering it himself, the blood just closed the loop.
Binder used the latter to summon his grey men, Molly used the former to cut Binder off from his power rendering them ectoplasm.
and both were round circles note, no pentagram for Binder. And what's the difference? Seems to me after cutting him off she could have used it as a summoning circle🤷‍♂️

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 01:39:19 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2023, 01:37:20 PM »
In Dead Beat, the ghoul was right there... it probably could have taken him out before he had time to form a circle, but even if he got it up, I think they're physical-enough to just walk right through a Circle and mess him up with claws & teeth.

Harry has *never* (that I recall) tried a Circle against ghouls (presumably because it wouldn't work).

But I think that the magic of Capiorcorpus would be blocked by a magic-circle; I just don't think DB ever offered circumstances where Harry could usefully try it.

FWIW, a circle certainly blocked the whammy from the Mind Fog in Summer Knight.

Precisely.  A circle might not offer much protection and in combat might be penetrated quickly by physical means.  However, with mind magic, as we have seen… seconds matter.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »
It’s shoot repeatedly for ghoul, preferably after they have been frozen solid.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2023, 12:20:14 AM »
It's also worth noting that yeah, Harry might be able to protect himself from mental domination with an empowered circle- but an empowered circle will also stop him from doing any magic which...

Well, a Harry that can't do magic in a fight is a dead Harry.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2023, 04:30:51 AM »
yes? Though that's not a summoning circle per se.
Harry summoned Uriel into a mental circle.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2023, 04:45:13 AM »
that's not contrary to my point.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2023, 05:43:56 AM »
... Summoning circles are a different matter and require a pentagram inside, and are powered by the practitioner.
I'm pretty sure Harry summoned Toot with a simple, non-Pentagram'ed circle.

I think the addition of a pentagram gives Harry some extra structure, to attach extra power & protection to his summoning.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2023, 06:12:31 PM »
Toot is very much small fry, and is best summoned with the form of a magic circle containing pepperoni and mozzarella.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2023, 05:19:23 AM »

And Uriel response was to tell him 'LOL that's cute'.

The Circle isn't there to summon the creature, it's so that whatever you summon doesn't eat your face.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »
And Uriel response was to tell him 'LOL that's cute'.

The Circle isn't there to summon the creature, it's so that whatever you summon doesn't eat your face.
that's true. And we do have another example of no circle summoning now that I think about it. The phages. Which was more through sympathetic thoughts.
🤔 Makes me double down on circles just being a part of yourself extended beyond your body. In this case specifically as a barrier between you and the summons. Definitely not required.