Author Topic: Fuego  (Read 1600 times)

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fuego
« on: June 29, 2023, 11:49:03 PM »
Im new here but I've been through this series at least 4 times. My last reread of Changes was via audio and I noted and had missed it before that someone on the "Grey Council" also used Fuego for fire. Harry mentions it.

If I recall, early in the series the words wizards use are personal to them.

Am I remembering this right? If so what does that mean? Of the 13 people who came to the battle, one of them also used fuego? That seems semi-significant. I know its a spanish word, but still...

If this was covered previously, sorry I did a couple searches but didn't find it.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fuego
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 06:06:33 PM »
If you mean the "fuego" shout at Chichen Itza, I never interpreted it as coming from the grey council. Were they even there yet? But from some of the Rampires/half-Rampires being Mexican and just shouting "fire" in Spanish. Which confused Harry at first.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 06:45:44 PM »
I thought it was from another magic user as well.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 10:50:23 PM »
There were non magical weapons at Chicken Pizza being used by half -Ramps etc.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 11:55:39 PM »
It's one of the Red Court nobles who uses the word, which makes sense given some of them would have been conquered by (or perhaps themselves were) Spanish invaders. It irritates Harry a bit irrationally as he has a foolish sense of ownership of the word, even though it's quite likely there would be other magic users that use Spanish as their magic words.

I won't get into how using a live-language would have so many problems (not to say the least if he actually learned Spanish, it should in theory diminish the protection provided by those words). Which seems to be why a lot of wizards use older languages (many of which are no longer in use) e.g. Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Sumerian, etc.

The Grey Council had indeed arrived by this point.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 12:26:45 AM »
Harry must never, never, never visit Tierra del Fuego.

“The Archipelago was on fire, and it was my fault”

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 03:04:51 AM »
Rereading it again it’s actually unclear but I took it that it was a wizard. Page 395, US Hardback.

Harry is talking to Ebenezer.

“Fuego!” Shouted someone from the walls - and for a second I was hit with a little sting of insult. Someone was shouting “fuego” and it wasn’t me.

It’s such a random statement in that chaos to be random, right?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 03:15:18 AM »
Rereading it again it’s actually unclear but I took it that it was a wizard. Page 395, US Hardback.

“Fuego!” Shouted someone from the walls - and for a second I was hit with a little sting of insult. Someone was shouting “fuego” and it wasn’t me.

from the walls? Wouldn't that imply it was indeed someone telling the mortal gunmen to fire?
Though of course the ultimate troll move to him saying that would be, it was actually future/alt Harry all along.

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 03:27:01 AM »
Yea. It’s kinda what I was angling to without saying it. Again, it’s probably nothing, but it’s so damn random and Jim doesn’t do anything random.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 04:58:14 PM »
Yea. It’s kinda what I was angling to without saying it. Again, it’s probably nothing, but it’s so damn random and Jim doesn’t do anything random.
Just a little gratuitous jab at Harry's ego (Jim loves to alternate between frustrating Harry, giving egoboo, putting in a beating, and delivering humiliation).

We heard about the mortal gunmen (mercenaries, likely) getting ready on the walls; then Lea opened the Gateway & summoned the Grey Council; then "someone on the walls" shouted "Fuego!," and within a second the riflemen opened fire.

Of course, Ebenezer had already called the Blackstaff to his hands; he simply killed the mortals, saying "you took the wrong contract, boys" (hence my surmise they were mercenaries).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:17:12 PM by g33k »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 11:36:37 PM »

It is vague, true. But the walls are where the Red Court were. The Grey Council were in the ball court.

from the walls? Wouldn't that imply it was indeed someone telling the mortal gunmen to fire?
Though of course the ultimate troll move to him saying that would be, it was actually future/alt Harry all along.
I always assumed it was someone else using fire magic, but telling the mortal gunmen makes more sense. Always something to learn!

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »

Great. Harry jokes. Kinda like Chuck Norris jokes.....

"Chuck Norris once went to the Virgin Islands on vacation"

"Now they are simply called "The Islands"

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
Im new here but I've been through this series at least 4 times. My last reread of Changes was via audio and I noted and had missed it before that someone on the "Grey Council" also used Fuego for fire. Harry mentions it.

If I recall, early in the series the words wizards use are personal to them.

Am I remembering this right? If so what does that mean? Of the 13 people who came to the battle, one of them also used fuego? That seems semi-significant. I know its a spanish word, but still...

If this was covered previously, sorry I did a couple searches but didn't find it.

I'm guessing it is probably used as a mental focus,  so you don't really want everyone using it around you making your mind wander. Maybe like training a guard dog to respond to commands in.. German, say. 'ANBEISSEN!". Harry, with his mail order, would say "Bitte", and the dog would look at him...   "Please"?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 12:25:34 AM »
Perhaps because I am a native Spanish speaker, I never had any doubt that it was someone telling people to fire (shoot) their guns, and that Harry had been silly for believing it was someone using "his" spell.

This made me laugh, because I remember once, many years ago, I was on a plane, coming back from Ushaia (the capital of Tierra del Fuego) and there was a man reading one Alera book. I had to bite my lip not to ask him if he was a true Butcher fan and if he was in this forum.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)