Author Topic: Can't find a WOJ?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Can't find a WOJ?
« on: June 06, 2023, 04:47:24 AM »
The one where Jim says Marcone picked up Namshiels coin before they left the island?

I think there was something about wagner or valkyries still playing?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a WOJ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »
HAHA! Found it!

Dragoncon 2022

"When did Marcone take up the coin? Ride of the Valkyries was still playing, before the chopper was back to the city."

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »
This suggests he had the coin during the hiring of Nameless and the events of Even Hand, suggesting Nameless doesn’t know and that despite everything in Even Hand Marcone wouldn’t reveal Namshiel. He will only put out for a Titan.

There is a nameless reference to Nameless in Even Hand, Marcone refers to the letters his lawyer sends him and it is on the subject of the Accords, so not a normal lawyer. This is the only reference to Nameless prior to The Law. I would point out that Even Hand was published in Dark and Stormy Knights (indicating Marcone was a knight of the Blackened Denarius, there are no other Knights in the story at this point so sneaky of Jim, it only fits the anthology after Battle Ground more than a decade later, why didn’t any of us pick it up?) the publication date was 20 June 2010. Turn Coat was published 7 April 2009 the year before, so Jim had decided almost immediately after writing Turn Coat that Marcone had picked up the coin in writing Even Hand for the anthology.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »
This suggests he had the coin during the hiring of Nameless and the events of Even Hand, suggesting Nameless doesn’t know and that despite everything in Even Hand Marcone wouldn’t reveal Namshiel. He will only put out for a Titan.

There is a nameless reference to Nameless in Even Hand, Marcone refers to the letters his lawyer sends him and it is on the subject of the Accords, so not a normal lawyer. This is the only reference to Nameless prior to The Law. I would point out that Even Hand was published in Dark and Stormy Knights (indicating Marcone was a knight of the Blackened Denarius, there are no other Knights in the story at this point so sneaky of Jim, it only fits the anthology after Battle Ground more than a decade later, why didn’t any of us pick it up?) the publication date was 20 June 2010. Turn Coat was published 7 April 2009 the year before, so Jim had decided almost immediately after writing Turn Coat that Marcone had picked up the coin in writing Even Hand for the anthology.

I don't remember the Nameless nameless reference in Even Hand, but even people who see the WOJ argue that it was just Namshiels Shadow like Lash was up until Even Hand and he only accepted him after the events of it.

But the other thing I take away from it is that the Denarians succeeded in one of their goals of Small Favor. They recruited Marcone. Took a couple of years to realise the goal but they're used to playing the long game and it may as well be a couple of months investment for them.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 10:21:47 PM »
Marcone refers to letters from his lawyer he needs to read and these letters are  the spooky side of things not the crime Lord or property developer.

The law tells us Nameless was working for Marcone at this point, and is Marcone’s top guy. Ergo he is referencing Nameless.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 12:37:38 AM »
That's one possible explanation but not necessarily true. It could just as easily have been a lawyer referred to Marcone through his contract with Monoc. We know for sure that he had that connection, a connection with Nameless is more tenuous.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 06:24:02 AM »
True, but why would Jim otherwise seed this fact of the lawyers existence and in The Law seed the fact that Nameless had been working for Marcone since before then.

Several of the Novellas and short stories have been used in this fashion, especially the more recent ones. The inclusion of Even Hand into Dark and Stormy Knights told us Marcone had picked up the coin, it told us about pistols and bullets he would eventually use in Battle Ground (Checkov’s gun) and it drops on Nameless without naming him. Two of those had a pay-off in Battle Ground, the third in The Law.

Zoo Day for example drops a clue that the puppies were abducted by Cowl and Kumori, a previously unknown intervention in Blood Rites before their formal introduction in Dead Beat. This is fully confirmed in Fugitive. One then has to wonder how much Cowl was involved in the B Story involving Mavra in that book, did he help set up her nest, did he then try to use her to take out Dresden because of that? The first Black Court intervention is the Securty Guard at the airport when Harry is returning the puppies to Brother Wang, that suggests coordination between Cowl and Mavra in hindsight not a random attack.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 07:23:13 AM »
Zoo day also drops Mouse calling his brother my shadow, not a shadow. But his specifically. Another thread for the light and the shadow theory. One issue with doing a mouse short is he knows too much. This is him casually mentioning important information.

🤔 I'm thinking someone mentioned the Stormy Knights connect, though I don't recall who.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 06:48:54 AM »
Zoo day also drops Mouse calling his brother my shadow, not a shadow. But his specifically. Another thread for the light and the shadow theory. One issue with doing a mouse short is he knows too much. This is him casually mentioning important information.

🤔 I'm thinking someone mentioned the Stormy Knights connect, though I don't recall who.

Which speaking of Ash/Shadow. EVeryone seems to recognise Temple Foo Dogs as Devine so therefoe trustworthy. Even Ancient Mai confirms that Mouse can be trusted at the Trial in Turn Coat, and the Svartalves are reluctant to harm Mouse because of who he is right after an assassination attempt.

I wonder if Ash could exploit that people automatically trust him despite working for the other team.

@Conspiracy Theorist. I'd have to read Even Hand again with a comb to scan what you're talking about. Which I might do sometime this week.

It's possible even plausible could be Jim setting things up. Could be that Marcone has lawyers is referenced everytime Harry's thoughts reintroduce Marcone on the scene in every book he's in.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 08:03:08 AM »
The point is that Even Hand is Marcone’s point of view, not Harry’s. When I did a re-read of everything earlier this year I paid special attention to interactions of Harry with lawyers, and nothing Nameless connected popped up except for Even Hand. There are other points of interaction like the Winter Court, but I found only one thing there in Summer Knight where Maeve in talking to Harry is referring to someone telling her about Harry buts cuts herself off.

Nameless has kept himself off Harry’s radar for years, given the circles both move in, there should have been more interaction unless Nameless had good reason not to interact with Harry such as being Cowl. Harry knows Marcone’s people generally it’s something he keeps abreast of, and was knowledgeable enough of Winter to identify the major players. Sometimes an absence is a clue.