Author Topic: Help finding a Theory (Marcone is Arthur to Harry's Merlin)  (Read 1644 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a Theory (Marcone is Arthur to Harry's Merlin)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »
going to read it now, but wanted to start with...

Thanks.
you're welcome 😁

I have seen this theory around for a few years, I myself have thought about it myself (whether that was inspired subconsciously by someone else's theory or not I cannot be certain). I don't think I ever wrote any of my thoughts down about it.

Obviously the easy links are those Jim has hinted at for a number of years. Harry has many obvious (and some less obvious) connections and parallels to both the Dresdenverse OG Merlin, and the literary figure.

Jim has both said in multiple interviews and AMAs and Q&As, as well as once or twice in the books, that Marcone would have made a good feudal lord or king. Which seems true enough I suppose, given how effectively Marcone rules his territory.

But I think it's important to examine the differences too.

Marcone is primarily a lawful evil character. He works within his rules, but he commits many morally evil acts. This would rule him out (at least for the time being) from being a "good" king, and Arthur is supposed to be the Western ideal of a "good king". Arthur of course makes many mistakes during his tenure, but ultimately is a lawful good character.
indeed tho. As pointed out, the current timeline is likely the inverted one. So most things will be slightly backwards from what's expected. Still waiting on it, but I think the big cluebat Jim's waiting to hit us with on this is Marcone in the MM universe.
She may, or may not get the Sword.(he has options for that obviously) but Murphy's revival under the presumption of Guinevere would be accurate then. Course, Thomas being basically dying then going to DR could place him more firmly on that particular path of Arthurian legend now.
Was trying to find a good way to metaphor these changes and I think the earliest I can think of is best. The details change, but the shadows on the cave wall stay the same to someone looking at them. The Archetypes are there, but the paths themselves vary.
Furthermore, Marcone is a Denarian now, which while not ruling him out forever from holding a Sword of the Cross, it does rule him out for as long as he holds that Coin AND doesn't repent and attempt to atone, just like Sanya is doing. Arthur famously held Excalibur, and we of course know (as of Ghost Story) that Amoracchius (Michael Carpenter's Sword) is also Excalibur by a different name. So Marcone doesn't seem like the right option right now.

I feel Marcone is closer to Vortigern, if anything.
that's still an option tho, unlikely I admit. Marcones change came about from the regret of what he caused. You only regret if you care though. Marcone becoming the Archetype of Selfless evil, Evil for the sake of minimizing the pain of others. Directly opposes Harry's, do good for the sake of what you love. Which is almost selfish. Indeed, only when seeing the similarities of watch the world burn vs watch Maggie burn does he realize the difference.
Now, this is actually in exact opposite of Lucifer and TWC. Evil for selfish reasons and loving selflessly. Everything coming about resembles what was, but isn't exactly the same. That's why I modified the basis around the conservation of history when that idea showed up. I realized it's not necessarily the people, action's or events. But
Similar Paths.

Nobody takes over Kringle, based on the above mentioned theory Harry's going to get together with Molly to birth a new mantle all his own that's wintery. Most likely old man winter 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:03:20 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a Theory (Marcone is Arthur to Harry's Merlin)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 09:50:25 PM »
Unreliable narrator, Harry has had many head injuries and memory modification.

However I don’t think he got the date of use of the HQ wrong. The White Council may have thought Dee had got totally married or was pyramid sitting.