Author Topic: Small Details  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
Small Details
« on: May 25, 2023, 02:27:26 PM »
I thought it might be nice to have a thread listing out little parallels, details, and insights Dresden never calls out explicitly in the series. Apologies if one already exists. There are a few I like, Butter's comment about getting a lightsaber is a classic, but I thought I'd start it off with one I'm not sure many others have caught or brought up:

In Turn Coat, Dresden talks about how the wardens are being spotted all over the country looking for Morgan. He concludes it's a wild goose chase, but he's not sure why the wardens would be showing up in these random cities.

The Summer Court's anti-tracking measure for Morgan is a deliberate nod to what Dresden did to their tracking spells in Small Favor, sending them bounding around the city via Little Chicago. Eldest Gruff even asks how he did it. Clearly, they figured out something along the same lines.

What are some of your favorite details and nods to past events?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Small Details
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 07:28:04 AM »
Morgan doesn’t have a cat.

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 09:00:07 PM »
Alright, you win, I'm stumped. What in the world do you mean?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 05:33:42 AM »
While both had the same Oak pins, Harry achieved his spell with a model of Chicago, an elastic band, a small bag of catnip and a 30lb grey Tomcat.

Morgan only had the pin.

More likely is that Morgan used the Ways in an unexpectedly efficient fashion. His Journal shows that he was friendly with Margaret LeFay, mistress of the Ways and he recounts using them to nuke a Naagloshii. Doubtless therefore  he had already had a pre-planned escape route designed to throw off a hostile by appearing in dozens of places wide apart within an hour, then used his Oak pin favour to shield him whilst taking several more trips to get to Chicago.

This way he doesn’t need a cat…….
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:40:07 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 01:06:11 AM »
No, I think you missed the point. I'm not saying Morgan cast a similar spell, he definitely didn't. When he called in his favor with Summer, they were tasked with frustrating the tracking spells of the White Council. They found a way to do so that was a direct reference to when their own tracking spell was frustrated by Dresden; by sending the White Council on wild goose chases across the country, just as they were sent on wild goose chases throughout Chicago.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 05:35:58 PM »
Nah they shielded him from all tracking spells except their own.

Summer has been at that type of thing for millenia, copying a parvenu like Harry would be demeaning.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 05:43:23 PM »
copying a parvenu like Harry would be demeaning.
Gotta disagree, Eldest Gruff was very impressed with the way Harry dealt with the tracking spell and wanted to know how it was done. Making the spell lead to random locations and constantly change is more effective than stonewalling it, it makes the other team waste resources chasing what they think is the objective but isn't... Gruff would have to work out a way to do it... and I hope it wasn't with a 'Little Earth' because... shudder... yeah... just hope it wasn't that... but he recognized that what Harry did was more effective than the normal response and could have tried to replicate it.

Offline Elequosoraptor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 05:18:56 AM »
Here's another one: In Fool Moon Susan suggests photographing the supernatural using a telephoto lens from a long way off. In Turn Coat, Dresden hires Vince Graver to photograph some wizards with a telephoto lens from a block away.