Author Topic: The WK AND SK, AND LADIES power level and purpose  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The WK AND SK, AND LADIES power level and purpose
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »
When did he use lightning? I would have said wind for the early books, lightning shows up in Storm Front and technically Fool Moon true, but it's hardly a motif. I don't think he uses it again until Turn Coat against the skin walker, and then in Battle Grounds.

Don't know if you have read the short stories or not, but Harry has used "earth magic," I've forgotten which story now, but it is one of the most powerful forms.

It's also worth noting that Dresden uses the mantle kind of constantly, especially in the last two books. He's taking advantage of the physical power an skill it gives, for one thing, and every single instance of ice magic we see is the mantle. Dresden on his own has 0 skill with ice evocations, that's entirely the mantle, not his own magic. The reason he hasn't tried experimenting is probably because, in addition to being concerned about the mantle's influence, he just hasn't realized there's more to it. The man can be insightful about magic, but he can really miss the obvious when it comes to applying it (see his total failure to use soulfire, which solidifies his spells, for anything but the most ephemeral fire evocations instead of like, a shield). Still, I think his current use of it is a far cry from "emergency situations only". Ice almost gets more use than fire these days.

Harry is gaining more insight into Soul Fire, which he needs to do to use it properly.  He hasn't that much to go on other than it was gifted to him by Uriel, who was very vague on the subject.  Harry did ask Bob, but as he pointed out in Cold Days, some things Bob doesn't know that much about.  In Cold Days up against Mother Winter Harry begins to get a first inkling of what Soul Fire is and more importantly what it means.  Look as much as we want to know two books ago about this or that, it isn't good story telling to reveal everything at once.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2023, 08:07:03 PM »
You big beautiful nerd you! Bringing Science into this.
Butter' s theory makes sense given the info he has. And everything he sees just shows him how scary THE WK IS.
The WK IS more powerful than anyone including  Butters thinks. I think he is in the same range has most Fae Eldest.

Thank you, I think.  But I'm just trying to think like the character would think.  As Harry says, his nerd .... er junk is larger than everyone else's. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2023, 11:56:46 PM »
...  As Harry says, his nerd .... er junk is larger than everyone else's. 
No, he says Waldo Butters' junk is the biggest.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2023, 07:23:03 PM »
I am quite sure that by Battle Ground it is much smaller due to wear and tear…..

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »
Thank you, I think.  But I'm just trying to think like the character would think.  As Harry says, his nerd .... er junk is larger than everyone else's. 
1 of my favorite things is people calculating feats eg Deathbattle
On that note, Harry does ruin dnd campaigns with the wolves by calculating how much energy each feat such as a fireball would take. Will and friends dont like it

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2023, 08:19:10 AM »
1 of my favorite things is people calculating feats eg Deathbattle
On that note, Harry does ruin dnd campaigns with the wolves by calculating how much energy each feat such as a fireball would take. Will and friends dont like it

I don't think he RUINED his dungeon, I think the rule change was bad for D&D - and the nitpick was the area of effect. Which is EXACTLY what would bug Harry. If a fireball was a 20' radius sphere, and blown off in a cave, etc. of limited volume and sturdy walls, it would gush out of the contained area like a beer shaken up. Or the bunch of explosive charges that blew Harry and Lara in their force bubble out of the Deeps....   Harry is a "fire is fire" guy - he tells Murphy that when they go to the Shedd and he sees the CONTROL on the circle of power - he isn't sure he could muster that much, and he surely couldn't CONTROL it if he did.  Magically evoked, but then like normal physical fire.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2023, 08:32:29 AM »
I think the Ladies are above the SC, at least in raw power. When she thinks Harry killed fix, Lily starts blasting at him and he knows she will beat her way thru the shields, and she has very little skill - it's a boxing match against a gorilla. You can have all the skills in the world - that raw power will beat you down. Is a Lady that much Inferior to a noble? Eldest gruff wears the mantles of SC wizards he killed in fair duel on his belt. Now, maybe Eb can take Summer even if she is stronger, if she does not have the skills. Molly, who has SOME skills, may be beyond him. Molly in 50 years? A hundred? how much power will she have?