Author Topic: Fallout of E=K  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fallout of E=K
« on: April 26, 2023, 08:10:15 PM »
Do me a favor, assume Elane is Kumori.
Assume Elane is still alive.

What does that mean for the Dresden Files and the future.

Specifically (but not limited to) the Paranet is being managed in part by Elane and signs point to the Paranet either replacing the White Council or merging with it.  If Elane is Cowl's loyal apprentice and has been shaping the Paranet she will absolutely have been shaping it to replace the White Council and join Cowl's Circle (black council).  This will do a LOT of damage to the forces of good (Harry).

How else is Elane positioned to cause problems and what kind of damage could she do with the Paranet?

Offline Cthoniq

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout of E=K
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:19:58 PM »
My bet is a paranet heel turn in the later books. Picture this: the white council breaks down over time. Harry has personally saved their asses many times, now they've turned their back on him, and Jim has thoroughly shown what happens to groups that can't adapt when they don't have a protagonist on their side. The paranet starts to become the premier magical organization in the world, since it accepts all magical types, including presumably increasing numbers of former white council refugees. These wizards train up the minor talents, making an organization of literally thousands of increasingly competent wizards, backed up by a support base fully integrated with modern tech and society. It's a nice big support structure of suitably grand scale, just in time for the BAT. But Jim pulls a Wheel of Time, and has the Paranet go full Black Tower, with our protagonist's baby suddenly turning evil, because Elaine (probably a thrall herself, her actions in Dead Beat are not logically consistent) has enthralled or influenced many commanding members of the paranet, just like peabody did with the council. They do work for the same guy after all. Plus Elaine is demomstrated using mental magic twice that I can think of, so it's not outside her skills.

Jim has repeatedly says his goal as an author is to hurt the reader, ang having Harry's big ray of hope in the paranet suddenly turn to the dark side right aa the BAT kicks off would be a great (and foreshadowed) gut punch.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 12:06:07 AM »
There is a very very high probability that Elaine is Nemfected.

She was mentally-dominated by DuMorne, who was an Outsider-summoner.  With the big Harry/Justin fight, she fled to Summer...  And who was the first Nemfected we met?

Why, it was Elaine's "patron" and primary contact in Summer, Aurora.  Elaine was the very-clear vector from Justin's Outsider-influence to Aurora's corruption.

The entire Paranet is a tool of Nemesis.
And Harry laid the foundations, and handed it over.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:12:01 AM »
Evidence for E = K please. Elaine was part of the Summer Court during the Kumori episodes and there is nothing to suggest Cowl had any connections at that point in Summer.

Cowl does seem to have connections with Winter, the attack on Arctis Tor, the suborning of Lea and Maeve. Nameless has even more of a connection, with all of the above openly so covering the changelings as well, including Sarissa, and even apparently Mister.

S = K is far more probable based upon the books.

Stay on topic. The OP has asked you to work from the assumption that E=K, not to debate the validity of that theory. Work within the parameters of the discussion please. - Mod Team

It is far more likely the White Council will take a renewed interest in Elaine because she is openly using the title Wizard, and they are trying to prevent Harry using that title.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:42:38 AM by Yuillegan »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 12:13:19 AM »
Nemesis is limited to 13, it cannot therefore infect the entire Paranet, only bombard its members with spam and cat videos.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 01:45:24 AM »
Evidence for E = K please.

It's circumstantial, but she does tick a couple of boxes. There's a relatively small pool of women who meet the WOJ that it would cause Harry pain when he discovers who Kumori is - his first love going over to the dark would fit that in spades.  She's tall enough to fit holding a knife to his throat.  Her residual fondness for him would account for her trying to find a way to stop him from interfering short of killing him, and hesitating rather than kill him when he spoke to Bob in the end.  And if Cowl is really Simon and faked his death to go dark full-time, it makes some sense Justin's master would have picked up the reigns to her enthrallment.

And it's weird that Elaine never asked him what happened to his burned hand in White Night, after last seeing him before the major injury. Except Kumori did ask him, and he answered to her.

On the other hand, Elaine seems to have helped Harry stop a couple of Nemesis plots by helping him stop Aurora and spike Cowl's own plans for the White Court.

As for the original question of what the fallout would be if she was Kumori? I suspect a lot of the Paranetters would have been taken by the Fomor ... which seemed to be happening.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 03:41:54 AM »
Evidence for E = K please.
I said to assume because I don’t want to turn this thread into a debate on who k is, I want to talk about the fallout if Elaine is Kumori.

Here is some evidence, but if you want to talk about IF Elaine is Kumori let’s do that in another thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/b2kb7n/the_many_evidences_supporting_the_notion_that_ek/

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 04:40:52 PM »
  1] Elaine is still alive, plenty of evidence of that.
   2] Since Aurora went bonkers, most likely Nemfected after Elaine sought refuge at the Summer Court after Elaine fled when Harry killed Justin, it is either a real coincidence or Elaine is infected and passed it on to Aurora..
   3] For all of that, no, I don't think Elaine is Kumori. 

Stay on topic Mira - the OP has asked you to consider that E=K and work from that assumption. This thread isn't about debating the validity of that assumption, but discussing what happens if said assumption is correct. - Mod Team
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:40:52 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 05:23:08 PM »
  1] Elaine is still alive, plenty of evidence of that.
   2] Since Aurora went bonkers, most likely Nemfected after Elaine sought refuge at the Summer Court after Elaine fled when Harry killed Justin, it is either a real coincidence or Elaine is infected and passed it on to Aurora..
   3] For all of that, no, I don't think Elaine is Kumori.
That's why it's a listed assumption.  For the conversation it doesn't matter much if Elaine is Kumori or just Nemfected so take that assumption... What damage does she do?

Jim wants to torment readers through Harry, so my guess is Elaine will oversee the Paranet merging with the White Council and then leaks security information on the council and creates a second Archangel (ironic because if Elaine is Kumori then Simon Pietrovich is likely Cowl and was responsible for Archangel too) and my guess is tries to blame Ramirez for it (or Luccio, but I think she goes after Carlos) and failing that splinters the Paranet and compromises a LOT of the council secrets in the process (the paranet having taken over communications for the council)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 07:55:54 PM »
That's why it's a listed assumption.  For the conversation it doesn't matter much if Elaine is Kumori or just Nemfected so take that assumption... What damage does she do?

Jim wants to torment readers through Harry, so my guess is Elaine will oversee the Paranet merging with the White Council and then leaks security information on the council and creates a second Archangel (ironic because if Elaine is Kumori then Simon Pietrovich is likely Cowl and was responsible for Archangel too) and my guess is tries to blame Ramirez for it (or Luccio, but I think she goes after Carlos) and failing that splinters the Paranet and compromises a LOT of the council secrets in the process (the paranet having taken over communications for the council)

A lot of damage, but I don't buy it.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 10:53:50 PM »
Nemesis is limited to 13 ...
Cite, please?
I know it as a popular fantheory, but I know of no "canon" or WoJ on the topic.

... it cannot therefore infect the entire Paranet...
If a few key leaders -- Elaine, 1-2 other key/influential Paranetters -- are Nemfected, the entire Paranet would trend in whatever direction Nemesis wants, and most info known to the Paranet would be known to Nemesis... and mostly, Nemesis would act to prevent critical info from flowing up to Harry, or to Carlos/Wardens, etc.

It's worth considering that Carlos had a fair number of interactions with Elaine, but she didn't try to tell him about "Grey Cloak" sightings associated with multiple practitioner-deaths in multiple cities.  I suspect she had a good feel for him as a reasonably honest, decent guy... why not put him on guard?

... only bombard its members with spam and cat videos.
Arguably worse than Nemfection.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 03:31:23 AM »
Cite, please?
I know it as a popular fantheory, but I know of no "canon" or WoJ on the topic.

There's a WOJ that there is an upper limit on the number of beings it can control at once. Which makes sense, because if it could just spread without limit and infect all the (non-starborn) mortal population, it probably already would have won that way.

It's fan theory that the number of the cap is 13, though.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 07:00:43 AM »
There's a WOJ that there is an upper limit on the number of beings it can control at once. Which makes sense, because if it could just spread without limit and infect all the (non-starborn) mortal population, it probably already would have won that way.

It's fan theory that the number of the cap is 13, though.
I'm more the fan of 3 at once, but yea. There is a defined limit, we just don't know for certain.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 08:08:20 PM »
It’s 13, Corner Hounds are just a single Outsider with 13 bodies, that is made clear in Peace Talks.

The Corner Hounds though create bodies from Ectoplasm from the Never Never, they are the only animating spirits, in possession they are taking on beings with differing Wills and Power levels against whom they are competing. Nemesis was forced out of Lea we saw a battle wills which Lea won, with the help of Mab. Nemesis probably had their entire essence imbued in Lea, passed to Maeve and then to Justine.

Justine can split off into another 12 mortals weakening her, perhaps allowing Justine and the baby to overwhelm their fragment of Nemesis. Nemesis was likely whole when facing Harry before Demonreach they would need their full power for that.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 12:58:06 AM »
It’s 13, Corner Hounds are just a single Outsider with 13 bodies, that is made clear in Peace Talks...
I don't see that the Cornerhounds' 13 says anything about Nemesis.

I suspect the "correct" answer might be "however many this story requires."