Author Topic: Is Mister a Changeling?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Is Mister a Changeling?
« on: April 25, 2023, 09:04:08 AM »
We know
1. Mister is the only thing which looks the same under Wizard Sight (suggesting Harry needed to look at Mister at one point)

2.Mister is extremely large for a cat, and it is suggested he is Maine Coone (he has been drawn as one.)

3. The Little Folk refer to him as “Dreadbeast Mister” Dreadbeast is a gaming term for a magically enhanced animal

4. His food bowl reads “Emperor” a reference to the Sith Lord EMPEROR palpating

5. Mab likes him.

6. He is 18 at this point in the narrative. Maine Coones live between 12.5 and 15 years, and in robust health.

He suffered no ill effect from hosting the Nimean Lion

I believe Mister is the scion of Cat Sith taken by Lea to be a spy in Harry’s household using a memory Harry had of Malcolm rescuing a kitten and nursing it back to health. Lea as a dog person didn’t realise this would spectacularly missfire as Mister totally ignored his mission, because Cat.His tail was removed as its unusual length together with his size would show his Malk heritage (Like Merle) He has decided he his perfectly happy as he his which is why he appears as he does under Wizards Sight, and refuses to choose mortal or Fae like Sarissa. If so he would have a massively expanded lifespan (explaining his current age and health).

Mab is a cat person (like Sheldon she appreciates their indifference) which is why Mister ended up on her lap.

Harry knows this on a subconscious level hence the “Emperor” food bowl.

Nameless was in with all the Winter Changelings as part of Maeves Court  he would therefore know Mister is a changeling. He as Cowl would know that as such Mister would be a good host for the spirit of the Nimean lion giving him the idea for his petty revenge. Misters biology as a changeling is predisposed to transforming into a much larger form. This is why he takes the transformations in his stride without harm.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mister a Changeling?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 12:08:43 PM »
Your first point is erroneous..
Mavra also looks exactly the same.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »
He’s a vampire cat?

When did Harry ‘see’ Mavra? He used his Third Eye In Blood Rites but only caught the Hellhound.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 04:14:02 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 04:50:58 PM »
You had me up until...
Nameless was in with all the Winter Changelings as part of Maeves Court  he would therefore know Mister is a changeling. He as Cowl would know that as such Mister would be a good host for the spirit of the Nimean lion giving him the idea for his petty revenge. Misters biology as a changeling is predisposed to transforming into a much larger form. This is why he takes the transformations in his stride without harm.

Cats can walk across Circles without disrupting them. It isn't unreasonable to think all cats look the same under Site.  The Age is an issue, so either he is a Changeling (or something worse) or Jim just doesn't have the heart to kill Mister.

I lean to it being Jim just not wanting to kill Mister, Bob would probably have noticed during a ride along if Mister was something more...

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
I lean to it being Jim just not wanting to kill Mister, Bob would probably have noticed during a ride along if Mister was something more...

Maybe, but scions can be pretty subtle.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 05:37:22 PM »
He’s a vampire cat?

When did Harry ‘see’ Mavra? He used his Third Eye In Blood Rites but only caught the Hellhound.
it's how she's introduced in GP, he feels her presence and opens his third eye to see what it is
You had me up until...
Cats can walk across Circles without disrupting them. It isn't unreasonable to think all cats look the same under Site.  The Age is an issue, so either he is a Changeling (or something worse) or Jim just doesn't have the heart to kill Mister.

yes and no. The Mavra connection makes me think it has something to do with being... Transubstantiated? Blamps are inhuman creatures mirroring whom they used to be but, that mirror is precise and in parallel to life/unlife. They are born through the singular vessel... Kinda xenomorphic I suppose, taking on the character of the being they basically subsume.
Err. Rambling.. the second thing I'd draw attention to is Uriel. He had a purely human form under that jumbo jet. Without the Jet would he look exactly as he was?
I think Mister is either an "old guard" from when humanity worshipped cats themselves sans his jumbo jet, making him effectively just a cat. OR all cats are thus, divine beings who've been born into the world proper but never entirely left the aether either.. dual citizens? On technical level with fae queens and arch demons in that they would require the same sort of circle macfinn needed. A being of flesh AND spirit.
🤔 Though exactly why they wouldn't disrupt the circle.. can't wrangle if that means they have, or don't have free will, or something else more chaotic altogether.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 05:39:01 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 10:18:56 PM »
On technical level with fae queens and arch demons in that they would require the same sort of circle macfinn needed. A being of flesh AND spirit.
🤔 Though exactly why they wouldn't disrupt the circle.. can't wrangle if that means they have, or don't have free will, or something else more chaotic altogether.
Remember that Cats can see ghosts... all cats. They can touch ghosts...  They are indeed beings of Flesh and Spirit... (I don't think you forgot, but it should be stated in the thread)

I don't think they are in the power tier of Angels or Macfin... but they are more spirit than normal animals.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 10:36:46 PM »
Maybe, but scions can be pretty subtle.
I think you meant Changeling not Scion, Scions can be very non-subtle (they can be subtle too, at least on the surface).

A changeling is about the only supernatural thing Mister can be.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 02:24:22 AM »
Remember that Cats can see ghosts... all cats. They can touch ghosts...  They are indeed beings of Flesh and Spirit... (I don't think you forgot, but it should be stated in the thread)

I don't think they are in the power tier of Angels or Macfin... but they are more spirit than normal animals.
you misunderstand, if cat's need a higher circle than like the others, it's because they hold freedom of Will/choice in the mix. Something as far as we know most animals do not. It's usually a human centric thing in the DF.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 04:00:41 PM »
you misunderstand, if cat's need a higher circle than like the others, it's because they hold freedom of Will/choice in the mix. Something as far as we know most animals do not. It's usually a human centric thing in the DF.
I don't think cats are affected by or affect circles regardless of type or power.

Circles are disrupted by will, its a lack of will that makes circles keep you out and it is the presence of will that allows you to break a circle.  Humans break circles by an act of will and they create circles through an act of will. I don't know why Cats can walk across Circles without disrupting them but it isn't because they are will, it is because they don't exist on that axis or they are part of the earth and thus part of the environment (wind doesn't affect a circle either).

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 07:38:53 PM »
Unfortunately our sample size of cats in the Dresden files is very small. We have Lions (Nimean and otherwise) And the Malks. And the Mister.

Mister in being a Changeling who has decided he is fine as he is, is ultimately more ‘Real’ in the spiritual world than other normal beings, he is the feline equivalent of the Faithsaber in that regard. Ghost Harry was therefore able to interact not with Misters body, but with his spirit which is exactly the same as his body as shown by Harry’s third eye. This is why he is so deadly to the Little Folk, it’s not just his physical mass, it’s his spiritual mass as well. It’s why he wasn’t phased by the Nimean Lion possessing his body, it was fun whilst it lasted. His hatred of dogs may date from his time with Lea, so having a go at Cerberus was exactly what he fancied.

Forget about circles, all you need to summon Mister is a bag of catnip.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »
Unfortunately our sample size of cats in the Dresden files is very small. We have Lions (Nimean and otherwise) And the Malks. And the Mister.

Mister in being a Changeling who has decided he is fine as he is, is ultimately more ‘Real’ in the spiritual world than other normal beings, he is the feline equivalent of the Faithsaber in that regard. Ghost Harry was therefore able to interact not with Misters body, but with his spirit which is exactly the same as his body as shown by Harry’s third eye. This is why he is so deadly to the Little Folk, it’s not just his physical mass, it’s his spiritual mass as well. It’s why he wasn’t phased by the Nimean Lion possessing his body, it was fun whilst it lasted. His hatred of dogs may date from his time with Lea, so having a go at Cerberus was exactly what he fancied.

Forget about circles, all you need to summon Mister is a bag of catnip.
ALL CATS can move through circles without disrupting them, ALL cats can interact with ghosts.  We don't have a lot of examples of cats, but we have quotes stating all cats.

I don't think we have reason to believe Mister is unique in any of this.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 12:01:01 AM »
ALL CATS can move through circles without disrupting them, ALL cats can interact with ghosts.  We don't have a lot of examples of cats, but we have quotes stating all cats.

Quotes please, about circles sir Stuart talks about cats and dogs sensing ghosts on page 72 of Ghost Story, on page 82 Harry is shin tackled by Mister and he reaches down and is able to stroke him, again proving my theory that Mister’s Spirit is both unusually strong and perfectly equates to his physical form.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 03:48:00 AM »
Quotes please, about circles sir Stuart talks about cats and dogs sensing ghosts on page 72 of Ghost Story, on page 82 Harry is shin tackled by Mister and he reaches down and is able to stroke him, again proving my theory that Mister’s Spirit is both unusually strong and perfectly equates to his physical form.
Stuart says near as he can tell all cats can sense ghosts but most treat them the same as they treat any other humans… they ignore them.

Cats in circles I think was on demon reach in cold days just before they covered everyone in mud… or just after? Just finished a full reread through, of the series and remember it strongly but don’t have time to grab the quote, I will look for it tomorrow. The full quote includes a comment about that being why cats were familiars.

Edit: Cold Days chapter 47; hard back page 451
There were certain creatures who could move back and forth across boundaries like that without disturbing them in the slightest — most notably the common cat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:06:50 AM by Melriken »