Author Topic: Names  (Read 1430 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Names
« on: April 23, 2023, 05:52:43 PM »
Just was reading something else and the name, Shiro, came up. It means White. Looked up Sanya, it means Defender of Man, and Michael, who is like or resembles God.

I'm guessing many knew this already, but I thought it was kinda cool.

I mean, Harry says Names are important and have power.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Names
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 07:06:20 PM »

Just looked up the name "Waldo," means power of God..
  Harry apparently means, home ruler...

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 08:39:20 PM »

Just looked up the name "Waldo," means power of God..

And he ended up living in a Castle……..

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 10:51:59 PM »
Well doesn't seem to cool since some bored dude long ago said Lucifer means ...

But anyways got me thinking of "nameless" isn't referring to "nameless" give him a name if another knows exactly who you are referring to with zero effort?

So can't he be summoned? Remember when Harry summoned kravos using a different name. Because he knew who is summoning but he was using the wrong name...

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 12:33:56 AM »
oh that's gonna be really ironic by the end I think..

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Nam
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 01:15:07 AM »
The lack of a true name restricts the summoners power over Nameless, summoning is not just the use of the name but is often accompanied by focus items, see the summoning of the Erl King in Dead Beat all designed to re-in force control over the summoning. You require every advantage in dealing with a more powerful being, and the closer to the true name the better. You might therefore summon Nameless with the name  Talvi Inverno, but not be able to control the summoning resulting in Nameless being able to attack you with impunity. Similarly a death curse aimed at Talvi Inverno may not land with full power if Nameless is not in front of you to focus on his physical self.

Talvi Inverno is actually Winter Winter, it’s not really a name (but sounds like one) but is actually a descriptor of his allegiance to Winter. You might therefore accidentally summon one of the Winter Queens using that name unless you used additional focus items specific to Nameless. See the point ? the lack of a true name adds a new degree of uncertainty and danger to any ritual such as tracking, summoning, binding, cursing etc.

If I was going to do any of the above a business card (I doubt he gives those out given he is VERY exclusive) or headed signed notepaper would be a good focus item, failing that a stack of recorded cases Talvi Inverno won would be the best option, but these would contain other true names. It should be noted that in Even Hand that Marcone mentions letters from his lawyer, at this point in the timeline that would be Nameless (so yes we had mention of Nameless before The Law, just not by name, of course) so Marcone has personally signed correspondence from Nameless, giving him a hold over Nameless. Nameless probably has Miss Lapland pp inter parties correspondence and send e-mails on his behalf  otherwise - he can’t get away with that for court filings requiring his original signature, so unless you are Marcone you would need to break into the court office to get his original signature on an filing to aid as a focus. I bet there are few viable photos of Nameless as well to act as a focus - neither Bob nor Gary mention one, and slippery customer like Nameless would likely  have some magical protection against his image being recorded accurately, to preserve his anonymity but also deny a use of an additional focus. Of course he would litigate as well to preserve his anonymity.

It is basically a loophole in a lot of magical practices aimed at an individual, and Nameless is of course a lawyer, well placed to exploit it. Just one of the reasons I think Nameless is Cowl.  Both go by alias and are careful about preserving their anonymity. Try to track Cowl and you have nothing to go on, and under that you have the uncertainty of Nameless, unless you know Inverno and Cowl are one and the same and have additional focus items for Inverno. This suggests Harry would have to ask for Marcone’s help in tracking  Cowl when a link between Cowl and Nameless is established. Now that fits into the narrative.

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 04:29:45 AM »
Cowl not nameless

Pretty sure Cowl is Simon.

Harry was able to summon kravos by using a totally different name. But his intent and will alone was able to bring him forth. Sure Harry will be able to slap a name on him one way or another if need be

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 05:06:50 AM »
Harry's pretty good at just making a name stick for that matter. Don't gotta name? Make one.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 04:20:59 PM »
I think "Nameless son of Loviatar" is a pretty good identifier if push comes to shove.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 08:29:18 PM »
And yet it isn’t due to The Law

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 03:39:36 AM »
What if Harry were to get nameless mother to name him lol if he is from Finnish mythology...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 12:57:56 PM »
Or get Father Forthill to baptise him? Equally are as likely.

Nameless exists and is set up for a larger purpose in the series by Jim for a reason. I suggest that reason is that he is Cowl, but it might be another. Jim had to write a Novella to introduce him and certain important information connected to him.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 08:56:46 PM »
Or get Father Forthill to baptise him? Equally are as likely.

Nameless exists and is set up for a larger purpose in the series by Jim for a reason. I suggest that reason is that he is Cowl, but it might be another. Jim had to write a Novella to introduce him and certain important information connected to him.

I still dislike this theory for the simple reason that The Law has such a specific & limited distribution.  Amazon may be the 800-lb gorilla, but it's still only one of the beasts in the jungle.  Some folks will not do business with Amazon, at all.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 12:39:42 PM »
Have you thought this is exactly what Jim intended?