Author Topic: Maggie Dresden's GPA  (Read 898 times)

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Maggie Dresden's GPA
« on: April 13, 2023, 09:19:57 PM »
In Christmas Eve we find out that Maggie came home from her first semester of school with a GPA 'above 4.0'... Maggie is in Elementary School (my math says 5th grade).

GPA is out of 4, the highest you can get is 4, straight A's is a 4.0.

In Highschool if you take AP courses you get +1 point per AP course (so an A is 5.0) making it possible for a HIGH SCHOOL student to get higher than a 4.0.  A Junior High School student would need to take a high school level AP course to get higher than a 4.0, an Elementary School student would not be able to get a 4.0. Period.

Goof? or did Maggie skip grades? (Skipping grades (three of them?) AND taking AP classes and getting straight A's and doing all that after immigrating from South America to Chicago and growing up without parents and...)

This is just a mistake by Butcher right?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Dresden's GPA
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 10:57:14 PM »
Different schools & districts may do things differently.

Likely a goof, but there may be some places where they give "GATE" students extra-credit (and thus above-4.0 grades) for exceptional work.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 11:02:44 PM »
Different schools & districts may do things differently.

Likely a goof, but there may be some places where they give "GATE" students extra-credit (and thus above-4.0 grades) for exceptional work.
They didn't at my school and don't at my children's school and I couldn't find any evidence online that anywhere does and I can't find any Junior High School that does either...

I mean, I agree it is possible... but I can't find any evidence of it.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 06:39:29 AM »
Well, I took AP in high school - and the marks went in normally, no plusses. We also were on a percentile system. I think some areas have A+ grades, etc. Likely depends on the school district

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 04:40:01 PM »
Well, I took AP in high school - and the marks went in normally, no plusses. We also were on a percentile system. I think some areas have A+ grades, etc. Likely depends on the school district
AP classes counting as +1 is something that depends on the district... AP classes only happening in High School isn't. You can't take an AP class in 5th grade for a boost to GPA.  I can't find any evidence of any schools that do it.  Every reference I can find says it ONLY happens in High School (not college or junior high) so while I could see a private school aimed at feeding Ivy League offering more AP or even AP to Junior High students... I don't see much chance of it happening with 5th grade or below... I could be wrong, but that's what I am looking for... has anyone actually seen or heard it happening at the JH level or below?

A Private school feeding Ivy League would make it so that a HS student could take only AP courses for all 4 years and thus achieve a 5.0 GPA for High School (most high schools don't offer AP gym and several other courses, especially for Frosh/Soph courses so you can't actually get a 5.0 GPA) so I have a hard time with above 4.0 in JH being possible... but at Elementary it has to be a private school (maybe the one Erwin went to?) and even then doesn't seem possible.

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 12:48:23 PM »
Wow picking on little Maggie now! How low will you guys go to discredit Jim. Shame I say!
😂

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 06:47:49 PM »
It’s Mouse of course.