Author Topic: Christmas Eve and Prime Numbers  (Read 557 times)

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Christmas Eve and Prime Numbers
« on: April 13, 2023, 09:02:43 PM »
[q]I opened the envelope. It had one piece of paper in it. On it was written a very large number. [...] I picked up the piece of paper. If you left off the decimal points, it was a prime number. It represented the costs of medical care for tens of thousands, and funerals for thousands more.[/q]
This always struck me as strange... who looks at an 8-10 digit number and thinks... oh that's prime...

If I recall correctly Harry calculates prime numbers in his head to help control the winter knight mantle (logic over instinct) and Mab says Summer=emotion; winter=logic... (end of battlegrounds harry says the eye was pure hate and how could you survive it, mab says hate and love are the same force in opposite directions, while the opposite of hate is logic, she ran the numbers and knew she could survive).

Has Harry calculated prime numbers for so long in his head that he got to the BILLIONS and kept going?
Is the Winter Mantle influencing Harry, making him more logical (cold logic) without him realizing it and this lets him look at a number and know it is prime? (some form of limited intelectus)
Am I missing something and there is another explanation? (he did sit down for a good cry after molly left before noting that the number was prime... it is possible he tried to factor it for a while)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve and Prime Numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:08 AM »
In TC, he counted in Prime Numbers to 2239 while trying to stave off thoughts of how he Saw Shagnasty.