Author Topic: Black Council & BG  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Black Council & BG
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 12:07:18 PM »
You can trigger the Merlin with just the words “Harry Dresden” the triggers were to push the Senior Council to a more extreme version of their existing position. The more it played into their character the more difficult to erase them.

Nameless created Cowl specifically to be seen to do things Nameless can’t, and yes he can magically fool both Mab and Namshiel because Harry describes how, he wasn’t given  a true name. We learn in the first chapter of Storm Front the value of that. When Mab took anyone in she would have made sure she had their true name, she couldn’t with Nameless, leaving him a degree of freedom other vassals didn’t have.

You will note these actions were not against either Mab or Marcone directly where Winter Law would hinder Nameless/Cowl, but against third parties, it’s just that those actions were intended to  disasterous for the Accords and Mab

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 05:01:54 PM »
Do we think Cowl is the leader of the Black Court? Something tells me even he is just an agent. Perhaps they have no leader. Just a group of like-minded nutjobs and villains. Still not convinced he is Nameless, but I would love to know more about the connections between the two.

Agree about the various cat's paws and attacks. It is interesting that someone knew to attack the Carpenter's house. Speaks to Black Council involvement, particularly given how they like to attack Harry's most precious things (family and friends).

Not so sure about the Merlin being able to be "activated" with a trigger word. The threat of this is discounted rather strongly by Ebenezar in Turn Coat as older wizards can't change who they are as well as younger wizards. It's the smaller, subtler decisions being changed that is scarier. The sub-conscious being altered. Just look at the damage Lasciel did initially to Harry's psyche when her shadow (prior to being Lash) got into Harry's head. She wasn't driving the car. All she had to do was push the right buttons and Harry did all the rest.

When you say Black Court, are you refering to the Black Court of Vampires or are you refering to the Circle (aka the Black Council)?  Cowl is NOT a vampire and is NOT a member of the Black Court. Cowl is a member of the Black Council (aka Circle) and does seem to be the leader or at least spokesperson for it... it is hard to say because he is the only one we ever see that is for sure a member of it...but all the various plots we see him leading, so he seems to be in charge, but so would Morgan if we were talking about the White Council in the first books.  Cowl has his fingers in ALL the pies of the Black Council and is it's most active member (he may be it's only member and is just using the name 'The Circle' to trick people into thinking there is a large organization with power behind him).  There is no connection between Nameless and Cowl, Nameless is just a new character that is a peaceful villain and has thus been latched onto as a possible Cowl.

Nemesis (through Justine) claimed responsibility for attacking Michaels house, Listen (the fomor sorcerer not listens to wind) also claimed responsibility for the attack on Michaels house when Cat Sith was spying on the Fomor.  So Listen is likely a member of the Circle, and I believe he is lower ranked than Cowl.

Agreed, the Sr Council can't be programed like the younger Wardens were... they can be and were SLIGHTLY influenced, but this would NOT include trigger words (Though I do agree with Conspiracy Theorist that the Merlin is triggered by "Harry Dresden"... though I find myself agreeing with most of what CT says... other than the idea that Nameless is Cowl...  :P)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 04:37:51 AM »
I don't think we would have seen Cowl as much as we have if he was the head of the Black Council. The big boss does not take to the front lines - we do not see the Merlin fight, do we? I think he's just an agent - a significant one, but not the main man.