Author Topic: New novella?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
New novella?
« on: March 25, 2023, 07:51:07 AM »
So, I just reloaded Jim Butcher's website almost by accident and what did I see?

He’s started writing the next Dresden, Twelve Months and he’s working on a novella called “Warriorborn”.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like he is writing a Cinder Spires novella after finishing the main novel.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New novella?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 09:56:45 AM »
looks like it. Maybe a bit of backstory as to what a warriorborn is? Abilities? Are there types? Sark seemed like an insect, Benedict maybe more...cat?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »
Imho they are the descendants of genetic experiments for creating super soldiers generations ago. So long ago, nobody remembers their origin. Probably there is some old electronic information somewhere which people don't know how to access anymore.

I have not delved into this sub or read any information about the book anywhere, but it is my theory that Cinder Spires is our world in the far far away future probably after a world wide nuclear war or similar catastrophy. I am very interested about what we will see on the ground and think there will be a lot of history to be found, ruins of cities, libraries and so on, if someone survives a research trip. 

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 03:09:51 PM »
Yeah, there certainly are hints to that nature. However, since there seem to be angels and at least one godlike creature roaming around, it might have been more a "Wrath of God" scenario which finished off the old world, IMO.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 03:00:42 AM »
Not a fan of it being Earth.  the ether electricity and crystals are a bit too out there. Reads more a Lost Colony type thing.  Deposited there, the mother ship had the equipment to make the spires, but the ship moved on. Left them with hydroponics knowledge to grow food, at least some electronics, Journeyman has his instruments to check crystals, and electricity. They have metalworking, but it sounds like iron rusts FAR faster there than on earth, from the talk on gun barrels and sword rust spots. Maybe connected to the ether electricity, but to change the atmosphere so much and people survive? No.

Genetic manipulation of the warriorborn sounds likely. I'm thinking it is a recessive gene, because they spoke of the possibility of the heir to a house being a warriorborn - so if two apparently normal people can have an heir that is warriorborn - recessive. I also note the 4 warriorborn we have seen - Benedict, Esterbrook, Sark, and Ciriaco - are all men.  Possibly there are female warriorborn, but just less in number. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 07:26:02 PM »
In case you check here, Warriorborn will be available in Sept 19  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)