Author Topic: Honestly Will the Dresden series ever be finished.  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Dragon_c123

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Honestly Will the Dresden series ever be finished.
« on: March 08, 2023, 02:04:00 AM »
I have been reading Dresden for well over a decade and originally he was releasing the books left and right, but now even after his personal issues which were traumatic and hard to go through. He is busy writing a different series and producing one Dresden book a decade.

Legitimate question- will he be able to finish the series as there seems to be at least 8 books left.

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Honestly Will the Dresden series ever be finished.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 03:37:18 PM »
I think so but not solely by Butcher.  Either he'll take on a co-writer who will take over the majority of the writing with Butcher focused on plotting the story, editing and punching up the drafts, or the publisher will take it over at some point.  I think it more likely to be the former and frankly, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't happened already.

BTW, I won't be surprised if Butcher's son becomes that co-writer or successor-to-finish.

A more personal question:  At what point do you stop caring enough to purchase the books (whether in hardcover or waiting to buying the paperback) and either borrow from your public library or just quit reading them at all?  FWIW, I think I'll always be interested in the resolution of series even if that means just reading the summaries on Wikipedia or some other website.

The most personal question:  Do you think the series be finished during your life expectancy?  I have a friend in her late 70s who has quit reading the series because she knows she won't be around for the finish but even more immediate, the gap between books became long enough that she had to do homework to remind herself about where things had been left, the peripheral characters, etc. and that wasn't worth it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 03:49:32 PM by Lord Kinbote »

Offline maguswine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 05:35:45 PM »
As much as I truly enjoy the books (being visually impaired, I get the audiobooks), there will surely come a time when Jim Butcher writes himself into a corner since, with each one, he does seem to pack more and more in.
Didn't he say, though, that he'd stop after book 20 - although I doubt he will last that long. It'd have been logical to end it after Changes but I guess it's interesting to see him being the Winter Knight, maybe Cold Days should have been book 13 and then that'd be where it ended

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 02:38:36 AM »
I think yes, the saga will be finished in about 15 years.
Would I like if it is finished earlier? Of course, but it is not my call, but Jim's.
Will I be alive when the series ends? Who knows? One can hope.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIM!!! AND THANK YOU!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:51:12 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 10:15:01 PM »
... He is busy writing a different series and producing one Dresden book a decade ...

I think he is now writing at about 24-30 months/novel pace, alternating between Dresden Files & Cinder Spires.
Novellas & other shorts may cut into that.

But we're going to need to see several novels in a row -- after the much-delayed PT/BG duology -- before we can really get a good take on what his progress is looking like "these days," and whether he seems to be sustaining a pace... or producing too irregularly to predict or generalize

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 07:12:50 PM »

The alternate way to look at it is that by the time new material is published, reviewing the old books is like getting dynamic, exciting prequels for free.       I'm not fussed to see the finish; as Frodo and Samwise knew,  the best tales never end.

I dropped DF for a literal decade - and coming back is fine.    I wish I'd gotten the early work in hardcover - all of my paperbacks up to PG are acid-paper wrecks by now.     

The most personal question:  Do you think the series be finished during your life expectancy?  I have a friend in her late 70s who has quit reading the series because she knows she won't be around for the finish but even more immediate, the gap between books became long enough that she had to do homework to remind herself about where things had been left, the peripheral characters, etc. and that wasn't worth it.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 07:23:42 PM »
He just decided NOT to ever finish the DF citing that he's sick of people questioning wether he'll finish it at all he's decided this is the only way to give a definitive answer 😞
😄 On the bright side head canon just became the only Canon 🤣