Author Topic: Instinct, short stories for puppy rescue  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Instinct, short stories for puppy rescue
« on: February 28, 2023, 08:50:28 AM »
Hey, everyone!
Now, who is looking forward to the short story about Mouse and Cerberus?
I do!
Though I'd prefer a new Dresden novel, of course. And the new Cinder Spires.

But in this collection there are several stories by several authors I am interested in. For example one by Patricia Briggs about the werewolf Sherwood and his kitten Pirate I am looking forward to. In the last main novel Sherwood's
(click to show/hide)
I wonder if it is from his point of view or from the cat's. Though I expect it to be from the werewolf's POV. She has never done an animal POV before.

Still I hope after the release there will be news about the progress of Olympian Affair, like is he done now and in the editing process or is he still writing. Something like that.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Instinct, short stories for puppy rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 11:58:13 PM »
Now, who is looking forward to the short story about Mouse and Cerberus?
<raises hand>
I am, for sure!

Still I hope after the release there will be news about the progress of Olympian Affair, like is he done now and in the editing process or is he still writing. Something like that.
That'd be very nice!  Not really expecting it, though.

If he is planning to drop some news, I expect he'll delay for a week or three, so as nor to overshadow the release of Instinct.

He has to have been done with the short-story for months, now (since the project has gone through editing and been printed & shipped).  So he *could* be planning a news drop, but I don't think so:  if he had wanted to do so, he could have released info a while ago.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:18:36 AM »
See, now there's another reason I hate to jump into anthologies... if I buy it, and like it, I have a spoiler on Briggs already... better to do things in non-continuity...

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 01:03:48 AM »
There are three snippets on the website, and Mouse goes all Michael Carpenter on someone.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 02:30:40 AM »
Read it, my theory of the Nemean Lion was correct, as to who would make the most suitable host. And that Cowl really isn’t a cat person, he doesn’t understand them.

Maggies temporary baby sitter is I think Stheno the Gorgon and sister of slain Medusa.

We learn that as implied in Zoo Day My Shadow was taken by Cowl which confirms another theory on my read through of Blood Rites, that Cowl was responsible for the puppies abduction, and that he was based in Chicago even then and that MyShadow is called Ash (probably due to the building fire) and that he is a very bad boy.

There are four practitioners in Chicago capable of banishing the Lion we would certainly include Harry, and this would also be within Morts bailiwick and power set, he has the sheer will shown in Ghost Story. The other two? Molly but who is number four? Sarissa ? Was Cowl counting himself? An unnamed practitioner stationed by the White Council to keep an eye on Harry? Miss Laplander?

Maggie is currently staying in the school dorm, rather than with the Carpenters.

The Castle has been set to disperse illusions and veils in its vicinity. No Gargoyles, so would appear to be set before the Good People/Christmas Eve and as this is a personal attack by Cowl against Harry, I suspect it takes place after The Law, and Cowl call’s Harry by name a pain in the ass, suggesting a degree of familiarity not previously present in their relationship, which slightly advances my Cowl is Nameless theory as does his proximity to Chicago. One further new clue as to Cowls identity

“Cerberus let out a little growl. “When it escaped Hades, the Lion had help from the outside. And now there is a force at work against me. Not mortal magic, nor divine in the way I have come to know it.” Sounds very much like a Demi-God to me… and it took a Demi-god Heracles to subdue the Lion in the first place. Cerberus alludes to it being similar to Mouse but Cowl later claims he freed the Lion. Nameless, Mouse and MyShadow are all scions of gods/divine beings.

Oh and partial confirmation of my theory by Mouse that Ronald McDonald exists in the Dresdenverse as an entity. Wasn’t expecting that. Urgh this leads to the possibility Ronald McDonald is Cowl.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:04:18 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 10:58:28 PM »
Molly is the Winter Lady, not the Lady of Chicago. She's based out of Arctis Tor (or Arctis Minora). She barely uses her apartment. When she's in Chicago she's a tourist. Plus, Mab keeps her moving. And that's intentional.

My guess would be Harry, Marcone, Butters, and Mort.

The unknown magic was Ash, Mouse's 'My Shadow'. Cowl calls My Shadow by that name several times.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 02:44:14 AM »
... Ronald McDonald exists in the Dresdenverse as an entity. Wasn’t expecting that. Urgh this leads to the possibility Ronald McDonald is Cowl.
;D ROFL!!!

But no.

If Ronnie McD exists, so does BK's "The King" -- and as Jim likes to torment Harry, Cowl-as-baddie would have to be from Harry's favorite fastfood.   ;)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 11:35:22 AM »
They are the Mab and Titania of the Burger Courts.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 08:32:46 PM »
They are the Mab and Titania of the Burger Courts.

Wendy's is right in there, though, same-size as BK at 7-thousand-ish stores (vs. 13K for McD).

Subway is bigger than either (at least, in the USA).
So's Starbucks.
Pizza Hut, Dunkin'Donuts, and TacoBell are up there, too.

I'm not sure the "faerie court" model is the right one...  Faeries as burgers, and the other foodstuffs as other Supernaturals?

Faeries as Burgers?  Pretty sure Mab & Titania would vie for the right to kill you, for that one...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 10:58:39 AM »
Wendy is Kumori.

Peabody was in fact Colonel Sanders.

Kringle is a shill for Coca Cola.

All McDonalds back onto McDonaldsland in the NeverNever. Never open a Gateway in one of their restaurants, especially under the Goldern Arches.

The McDonalds arrangement of happy birthday is a summoning ritual. The clown appears.

It’s belief which creates new entities in the NeverNever - so high profile fast food, cereal and sports mascots toys and cartoons will become embodied. This means there should be a Brown Court ruled by Count Chocula whose sworn mortal enemy is Lacuna. After the sugar high of the cereal, the crash coming down is actually the Brown Court drawing off a bit of life force, sometimes fatally, the Brown Court are cereal killers you know.

This would be something which really should be investigated in the Maggie and Mouse series, Maggie destroys the Brown Court of Vampires, just like her dad.

On a more serious point, Harry was able to form a mind touch with Elaine, so surely he should be able to do the same with Mouse? The bond was formed through love, and since then Harry has gained Soulfire making the forging of such a bond easier.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:22:14 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 04:53:59 AM »
Elaine is human, Mouse isn't.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 08:56:29 PM »
Ah yes, Mouse is a semi - divine Foo dog who appears  to have access to Soulfire just like Harry, and both dearly love each other. Plus Harry has had mental links with Lash a non-human. Silly me.

It does mean forging such a link wouldn’t be a third law violation, it would skirt it like Sue.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 10:18:41 PM »
Elaine is human, Mouse isn't.
That might not be the critical issue.  If forced to guess, I'd guess a "mindlink" spell is possible, but very-much harder than with humans.  Alfred has a link to Harry, but Harry just speaks when he needs to communicate to Alfred.

I suspect a sharp demarcation at "can/cannot soulgaze."  Mindlink spell is (relatively) easy with someone a wizard can soulgaze, relatively-hard with someone who cannot be soulgazed (and Mouse cannot, or it'd have happened -- dog & their owners do look at each other, making eye-contact!).

Really, though:  it depends on whether Jim wants it, or not.  I think he's actually happy with the state of "wordless communion" between Harry & Mouse... Harry talks at Mouse, who woof's, or sneezes, or just rolls his eyes.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 10:25:09 PM »
... Plus Harry has had mental links with Lash a non-human. Silly me.
Lash is just as human as Harry.
Lasciel isn't; but the Shadow was -- essentially -- a form of insanity imposed upon Harry by the Fallen Angel.

A "dissociative identity disorder" existing in Harry's own brain.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 03:20:32 AM »
That might not be the critical issue.  If forced to guess, I'd guess a "mindlink" spell is possible, but very-much harder than with humans.  Alfred has a link to Harry, but Harry just speaks when he needs to communicate to Alfred.

I suspect a sharp demarcation at "can/cannot soulgaze."  Mindlink spell is (relatively) easy with someone a wizard can soulgaze, relatively-hard with someone who cannot be soulgazed (and Mouse cannot, or it'd have happened -- dog & their owners do look at each other, making eye-contact!).

I don't rule out the possibiliy of a link, just that it is easier with another human. As for lash or Alfred, they are DESIGNED to communicate with humans, it is a key function - in Lash's case, absolutely essential.

Are mental links a violation, or is CONTROL a violation? I don't think Mouse and Harry communicating is a violation, enslaving Mouse would be. (also likely a bad move - I think the beast has mojo). And even Michael has been known to use them - when Kincaid was hurt, Michael said "It's not his time" "how do you know?" "I asked"

I'd also guess that creatures of a certain level don't get auto-soulgazed. I don't think you can stare at Uriel and forge a link unless he permits it.