Author Topic: Why couldn’t Bonea talk to Harry?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Why couldn’t Bonea talk to Harry?
« on: January 11, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
I’m up to Skin Game Skin Game in my reread.  Why couldn’t Bonea
talk to Harry?  An agreement?  A prohibition?  Why?  That seems really odd.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 04:12:18 AM by SerScot »
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why couldn’t Boniea talk to Harry?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
Most likely, she didn't know how. She was still developing. Her ability to help keep Harry alive was probably only possible with step-by-step instructions from Mab and Alfred.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »
Most likely, she didn't know how. She was still developing. Her ability to help keep Harry alive was probably only possible with step-by-step instructions from Mab and Alfred.

Very possible, but I think there is more to it.  Remember in Ghost Story, when Harry woke up, Bonea was referred to as the "Parasite." No explanation, while on one hand, Bonea may not have been able to talk, but on the other hand, to act as a heart/lung machine to keep Harry's circulation going, is no mean trick.  To take instructions and carry them out takes a degree of intelligence, so if Bonea could do that, she should be able to talk.  So maybe communication was forbidden?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:16:54 PM by Mira »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:40:04 PM »
  Very possible, but I think there is more to it.  Remember in Ghost Story, when Harry woke up, Bonea was referred to as the "Parasite." No explanation, on one hand Bonea may not have been to talk, but on the other act as a heart/lung machine to keep Harry's circulation going.  To take instructions and carry them out takes a degree of intelligence, that if Bonea could do that, she should be able to talk.  So maybe communication was forbidden?

That’s the only thing that makes sense, to me.  If she could communicate with Alfred and Mab why couldn’t she communicate with Harry?  It has to be a binding.  When Harry died it was probably “sink or swim” for Bonea to keep Harry’s body operating forcing her to develop rapidly.  Mab probably put a deal on her just like on Alfred.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:55:37 PM »
Alfred can barely communicate with Harry at that point in the story. And she could communicate in a limited way with Id-Harry, just not his conscious mind.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 11:13:18 PM by vincentric »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 10:51:45 PM »
Very possible, but I think there is more to it.  Remember in Ghost Story, when Harry woke up, Bonea was referred to as the "Parasite." ...

Remember, it was Mab who referred to her as a "parasite."

And we know that Mab is always careful with her words; not to convey maximum information & minimal misunderstanding, but to get people to do what she wants them to (without technically "lying").  So while (to quote ghost-ObiWan) "it was true... from a certain point of view," it was also deceptive as FUCK, and intended to get Harry to do what Mab wanted.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 10:53:00 PM »
Most likely, she didn't know how. She was still developing.
This, I think.  Some mixture of too weak and/or too disorganized.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 11:16:14 PM »
Just a thought also, when Alfred first spoke to Harry, it caused him pain. Bonea was causing Harry's headaches. Maybe that was her trying to talk to Harry but lacking the proper frequency.

Mab knew this but says nothing because she wanted a lever to manipulate Harry. Alfred just doesn't think about these things unless Harry asks. Harry asked how to get Bonea out, not how to communicate. It took a meeting with Id-Harry to introduce her as something other than "the Parasite". Until then Harry didn't know Bonea was potentially a friendly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 11:22:56 PM by vincentric »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 11:24:50 PM »
Just a thought also, when Alfred first spoke to Harry, it caused him pain...
I think that was just the sheer unrestrained power of Demonreach.  The spirit was unused to how fragile mortals could be, and maybe was still self-calibrated to reach Kemmler on a worldwide basis.

... Bonea was causing Harry's headaches. Maybe that was her trying to talk to Harry but lacking the proper frequency.
But the pain was getting worse and worse and worse; as she developed, Bonea should have been getting closer and closer to "tuned in."  I think Bonea was simply -- as presented in the novels -- getting "too big" for Harry's brain to contain 2nd entire independent being (and, of course, just the intentional parallels to the discomforts of pregnancy & childbirth).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Why couldn’t Bonea talk to Harry?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 11:56:20 AM »
But the pain was getting worse and worse and worse; as she developed, Bonea should have been getting closer and closer to "tuned in."  I think Bonea was simply -- as presented in the novels -- getting "too big" for Harry's brain to contain 2nd entire independent being (and, of course, just the intentional parallels to the discomforts of pregnancy & childbirth).

Or Athena springing forth from the brain of Zeus..

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 07:31:44 AM »
Or Athena springing forth from the brain of Zeus..
That too!

I wonder if Zeus will point this out in Fight Night (or whatever "the wrestling book" is called), the way Hades pointed to similarities between himself & Harry.

(And if we carry the Athena/Zeus parallel forward... Athena was a premier soldier/warrior; does Bonea have similar potential?)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »

(And if we carry the Athena/Zeus parallel forward... Athena was a premier soldier/warrior; does Bonea have similar potential?)

Makes sense, in the sense that Bonea is half fallen angel and half wizard ID..

Just a thought, that moment in White Night when Harry hears a voice after he plays the guitar, we all think it was Lash, but could it have been Bonea?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:10:18 PM by Mira »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 07:08:16 AM »

Just a thought, that moment in White Night when Harry hears a voice after he plays the guitar, we all think it was Lash, but could it have been Bonea?

I have seen the theory that "Bonea" *is* Lash, essentially.
Much moreso than she is an equal product of Harry-and-Lash.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 05:02:07 PM »
I have seen the theory that "Bonea" *is* Lash, essentially.
Much moreso than she is an equal product of Harry-and-Lash.

She could be Lash, but then one has to wonder if because of her sacrifice, Heaven gave her a shot at redemption by turning her into Bonea? 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 07:34:35 AM »
She could be Lash, but then one has to wonder if because of her sacrifice, Heaven gave her a shot at redemption by turning her into Bonea?

Reincarnation? Of Lash, as Bonea, as opposed to a spark of Lasciel?