Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 29518 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2024, 06:52:58 PM »
Well, a little gratuitous violence never hurt anybody..except for the victim, that is. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2024, 08:44:14 PM »
 :)
It is fun to watch.
I've finished American Gods, a show I had abandoned before, and I am sad to report that the show ends without resolving anything, as if it was expecting a new season that never came  :'(
I am playing a Nancy Drew game I bought a few months ago and had no time to play before. These Nancy Drew games are story and puzzle centered, which is right in my alley. They still sometimes frustrate me, like when I need to do a quest so my silly character can learn the Greek alphabet or when she refuses to see what is obviously happening, but in general I like them. I am also planning to caught up with Stray, the game about a stray cat that was a hit a while ago. i bought it, played it for a while, got frustrated in a part I could not pass, and abandoned it. I will try again, perhaps with hubby help.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2024, 07:30:31 AM »
There is a new season of Outer Range? Or are they still working on it? I haven't watched Reacher. Not sure if I should. Didn't sound interesting.

We are watching some Korean series, which is quite well made and a little bit disturbing and tragic. It's s horror series called "Sweet Home". It's the typical monster apocalypse, but they managed to do it well. There is a virus and some humans transform into different kinds of monsters. When they do, most of them can't seem to remember who they were and can't control themselves. But there are nuances. Some seem to be able to control it and there were monsters saving people. And there are some who don't transform permanently. They can transform at will. And of course there are evil monsters killing people on purpose and there is the government/military which kills monsters and humans alike. The monsters and the humans who can control their monster can not die except by being burned to death.

Not a new idea in many variations, but I like the characters.

We will visit my mother today. She is in a rehab center 2 hours away. LOL, at first she was in a very luxurious room. She was very surprised about it and sent pictures. But now she had to move to one of the normal rooms. They just put her and some others in the special rooms for a few days, because the normal rooms were not yet availlable.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2024, 10:56:07 AM »
Hi everyone!

Regen, that show sounds so bonkers! I have never watched a Korean series, I am afraid if I begin I will fall thought the rabbit's hole and I won't be able to stop  :)

I hope the visit to your mother went well. She must have been so disappointed when she discovered her accommodations were being downgraded.

I am slowly watching the "What If...?" show because I try to watch all things MCU, but so far it is quite boring. The Christmas episode and the Sakaar one, were those I liked better so far, but nothing impressed me too much. When i finish this, I am planning to watch "Echo", which seems to be a very different kind of show, much darker and sad.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2024, 01:13:30 PM »
@Dina
Echo sounds interesting. I've just watched the trailer.
Sweet Home is on German Netflix in dubbed version. We are watching the second season now. Mini was like: oh no! Please no more characters whose names I can't remember. To our ears they all sound similar and I am never sure who they are talking about when I can't see the actor's face. We just call them "the firefighter" or "the boy with the wing-like arm" or "the shop-owner's wife", "the ballerina" and sometimes "the asshole" or "the nice soldier" or "the idiot". LOL

My mother is well. But she will definitely mention the room change in the questionnaire at the end of her stay. Not only the downgrade but also the fact that she had to move after a few days. We are talking about people who can't walk and can't pick up stuff from the floor very well. When we arrived, I had to pick up a big plum from the loor, because she dropped it yesterday and her grap help thingie couldn't grab it. But everything else is OK there. The only thing that's bothering about her new room is, that she does not have a refrigerator any more. So she had to drink the bottle of beer we brought as soon as possible. We got the bottle as a present from the Hundertwasser museum beside a local brewery. We went to the museum and after the visit you could exchange your ticket into a bottle of beer of your choice. The kids got bookmarks with a painting of the artist.
As I don't like beer, we decided to give my bottle to my mother.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2024, 10:49:18 PM »
Hello everyone!
I watched one other episode of What if...? and I really liked it. It is about a new superheroine, an original one, called Kahhori, who is from a Mohawk tribe when America was first conquered by Spain. I liked that all the episode was spoken in Mohawk or Spanish and it featured a full change of history. Also, there is a Heaven like place which has an Avatar (the last airbender) vibe.
I have a friend who is into Korean series and has the same problem about the names. She laughs at herself because sometimes she is very confused.
I hope your mother is well, and that she enjoyed her beer, even if she had to drink it fast. The story made me laugh.
We finally watched Oppenheimer (it is on demand now). I think it was excellent and very interesting.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »
Sorry about the double post. I hope everyone is doing well  :)

I've finished Percy Jackson. It was all right and a little bittersweet due to seeing an actor that is no longer among us.

We had been having a super light Summer but this week is very hot and i am tired just because it is hot.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2024, 11:31:51 PM »
We finished Percy Jackson, too, today.
We are also watching "The end of the f****ng world". A series about two troubled teenagers.
I am also near the end of my re-listen of Turn Coat (I started with Storm Front) and again I have to say that James Marsters does an incredible job. It really feels as if Harry himself was telling me his story.
After that maybe I'm going to reread the Iron Druid books. They have their flaws, but I liked their humour. There are also many funny short stories from the dog's point of view, which is hilarious.
I got the idea because my daughter was telling me about a black and a red squirrel she saw running up a tree. She tried to take a picture of both, but most of the time only got either one tail or just some blurred black and red stripes.
I told her, the squirrels were probably plotting how to take over the world, so of course they would not want proof of their meeting. She didn't believe me, so I took out the short story "a squirrel on the train" by Kevin Hearne, and there it was, lol. He knew all along.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2024, 02:37:37 PM »
Hello everyone!
It is finally cooler, so I guess they were just a few very hot days.
I loved the story about the squirrels  :)

I think I did not tell you the other day I went to a Museum, it is the Latin American Art Museum here in Buenos Aires. I am ashamed to admit that I had never been there before, even when it opened more than 20 years ago. I finally decided to use one day of my holidays to go there. It is not a big one, but it has some interesting pieces and I enjoyed it. There are a couple of Frida Kahlo's works, one of Diego Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros, one Botero. Of course, several Argentinian ones.It was a pleasant visit, and there was an exposition of a female artist who does things Nature related, mainly with water and seeds. I had a good time, but it was a torrid day, so the commuting was tiresome. I arrived home more tired than I should, but AC was a good thing.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2024, 02:41:19 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I wanted to write earlier but I always got distracted.
@Dina: the museum sounds interesting.

My mother is home again. She is doing well considering the circumstances and she needs some help with daily stuff, so I visit every day.
The weather feels more like spring now. I will have to cut the plants soon and do some wheeding.
The cats are well, too. They are like some black furred destroyers. But mostly it is paper or cardboard boxes. And fortunately we still have the old sofa in use though it is starting to fall apart, lol.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2024, 11:24:58 AM »
Hello! I just realized i never answered this post.
I am super glad your mom is at home and that she is doing well. I am sure she enjoys you visiting her everyday.
And I am sure the furred destroyers are the delight of your family, so do not even try to pretend that they annoy you.

I just watched a movie in Netflix which is called Apollo 10 1/2. It is an animated film about a child growing up near NASA around the Moon landing, and how he imagines he goes to the moon himself but cannot tell anyone. I liked it because it shows life at the time, and it also got me thinking. In the movie, they got color TV in 1969 (but not all the shows were in color). That also reminded me the show The Avengers (the one about British spies John Steed and Emma Peel or other women, unrelated to Captain America and his friends). That was a 60's show that in one season began being "in color". When did color TV arrived to your countries. It arrived here in 1980! My family, like many others, got one in 1982, for watching the World Cup. It was ironic that even when the 1978 World Cup was in Argentina, and filmed in color, we could not see it in color until many, many years later. I fully remembered the emotion of having the color TV.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2024, 12:42:54 AM »
Anyone here?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2024, 04:33:30 PM »
I'm here now :D A little busy these days, well not really busy, but farm work takes longer when you have 3 puppies running under your feet the whole time. I have to do the puppy shuffle, as I explained it before. Raise your right foot no more than 5 cm, move it forward slowly, nudge the puppies to the right, put your foot back on the ground. Repeat with the left foot, and have infinite patience :/ Can't wait till they're old enough to handle a couple of light kicks to teach them to get out of my way :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 06, 2024, 09:40:03 AM »
@Fcrate: lol. Puppy shuffle. I know the kitten shuffle. It's almost the same as the old cat shuffle. Old cats tend to suddenly appear behind your feet without you noticing.

@Dina.
I am so sorry, I did not answer sooner. When I read your post about the color TV I immediately did some research, asked my mother and so on. And then all kinds of stuff came up and I was too busy to answer and completely forgot about it. At work there are several sick colleagues we have to compensate for and one of them will soon be at a rehab facility for several months. My mother still needs help, so I am responsible for two households. The usual chaos, lol.

But now I am here and have some time to breathe.

I researched that it was technically possible to have colour TV in Germany since 1967.

My mother can't remember since when they had a colour TV.  But she remembers that my grandparents bought their first black and white TV in 1960 as a special occasion for her younger brother's birth. My grandmother had several still births after my mother was born. There are 6 years between my mother and my uncle. So they celebrated his birth with a TV for the family.
I guess they didn't immediately replace it 7 years later. Those old TVs were very robust and ran for decades. Maybe I'll ask my uncle, because he might remember when the colour came during his childhood.

And this Sunday I will see my father's sister. She used to be the one remembering all the family history from my father's side of the family.
But I think she will tell me that they did not have any TV until they all moved out and had their own families. My other grandmother was an early widow with 4 children. She would not have been able to afford such luxury. And also my father was older than my mother, while she was the oldest child in her family and he was the youngest.   His oldest brother was born in 1943. My father told me they used to beg for bread each morning at the back window of the local bakery. They always sent the youngest kids and usually the journeyman gave them bread and even some sweet baked goods.

During my early childhood I can remember that we didn't watch TV very often. We mostly worked or played outside or read the newspaper or books. My parents liked to sit outside for hours during summer evenings, even when it was raining (my father had built a roof over the terrace for this purpose.)

The TV was mostly used for watching the news at 7pm, my father watching car races (boring for me, at least after the first 5 minutes, lol), my mother watched her favourite soap once a week, and I watched "Die Sendung mit der Maus" (a famous informative children's show we still watch every Sunday. Maybe your hubby wants to try it some time, they are nice, easy language for children but not boring or annoying).

Later in my childhood, when I was about 10 or so, there was an increasing amount of children's shows or Anime shown. But I wasn't allowed to watch too much, because my parents said it would make me stupid, lol.

When I was older I bargained for TV time on Wednesdays, because they would show Star Trek. And my father liked the Star Wars movies and generally science fiction, fantasy and documentaries we could watch together. Usually once a week on the weekends.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2024, 02:11:14 PM »
Hello Weird!
Fcrate, I am glad all is well, and the puppy shuffle is so real. Or cat, as Regen said.
That reminds me, did you ever googled "cat" or "dog" and clicked in the paw print? So cute.I

Regen, I hope your mother is doing well.
I am glad my question send you in a family history trip  :). Thanks for the recommendation for hubby, I told him.
I watched a lot of TV in my childhood, especially in weekends. I usually spent Saturdays in my grandma and grand-grandma house and they napped after lunch, so I watched TV. Mainly local children shows, but also animé (Heidi, Kimba, Astroboy, Speed Racer_which is called Meteoro here.) and Maya the bee. And of course, everyone watched the news in the evening and night shows. When I was still a child by older I watched several series and I remember one animé that was called Angel the flower girl here but is called something like Lun Lun in the original, I think.
Missing you, Md