Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 29645 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2023, 11:45:46 PM »
The one thing I will say about that character
(click to show/hide)
There is one thing I'm really, really hoping the show doesn't do. I'll know early next season if they are planning on doing it though.
Ok. I plan to continue reading the first book once I have finished An Inheritance of Magic. Looking forward to it.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2023, 11:57:33 PM »
The first book is definitely a little bit of Early Installment Weirdness like most people think Storm Front and Fool Moon do. I listened to the audiobook with I think Michael Kramer and Kate Reading? I definitely didn't love it, but I had free Audible credits and wasn't sold on the series yet. :P
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2023, 11:58:09 PM »
We just watched Indiana Jones. Dina, you were right. It felt like one if the old movies. I also liked it. Funny: once they entered a building at night, didn't stay long and when they got out, it was day. LOL. May have missed something in between, but my husband also said: "didn't they go in at night?"
Did you notice Antonio Banderas? At first my husband didn't believe me, but it was him.
I do not remember the building thing, but the time is quite random in the movies  :)
I've noticed Antonio Banderas but it took me an embarrassing long time. When I heard him talking I immediately thought he sounded like him (which is weird because I am not good with voices and accents, I am more a faces person) but I did not think he looked like him. Until they showed a closer look and then I said "oh yes! He is Antonio Banderas!".

DC, I guess we will talk after the new season  :). Also, about that character, yes, as a not book reader i have not idea what is going on with that.
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 18, 2023, 12:56:23 AM »
The first book is definitely a little bit of Early Installment Weirdness like most people think Storm Front and Fool Moon do. I listened to the audiobook with I think Michael Kramer and Kate Reading? I definitely didn't love it, but I had free Audible credits and wasn't sold on the series yet. :P
LOL. I have mentioned this before. I could not continue listening to it. Kate Reading is great. She did the Codex Alera and I liked it a lot. But I did not like Kramer's way of talking. It didn't fit this kind of story and I was too annoyed with him so I could not bring myself to listen to more. I also had a free Audible credit. I guess Kate Reading does the female parts? Maybe I'll try again.
I also have the ebook. They synchronize with the audible version. So sometimes I switch between reading and listening, depending on where I am and what I do. I could read the male parts and listen to the female ones.

@Dina:
I noticed the similarity to Banderas at first sight, but then I wasn't sure if I was correct until he looked directly into the camera.
You told us about the Spanish actor in WoT. I liked him, but didn't know him before.

On the 20th there will be the new Percy Jackson series on Disney+.
Mini and me are very excited. We both loved the books but were disappointed by the movies. The author wasn't thrilled either, so he decided to play a more active role in a new adaption. In an interview he said, he was happy with the outcome. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 18, 2023, 04:07:53 AM »
I've saw the ads for Percy Jackson in Disney+. I have not read the book but I have the feeling a series will be better than a movie. And yes, I also read that the author was quite involved in this show, so hopefully it will be good and you and your girl/s will enjoy it.

I forgot to say that I managed to read more of the CS book, I am in chapter 53 I believe, so the end is near and things are. of course, looking...well, grim. Or Grimm  ;D. I want to finish reading it so I can visit the forums and post about it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2023, 01:01:26 AM »
Oh yeah the actor who plays Logain is fantastic.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2023, 03:31:21 AM »
I've finished the book!
Even when it took me forever to get invested in it, I really liked it! I am going to write in the CS forums soon.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 22, 2023, 12:39:02 PM »
Just came back from my violin teacher. He is satisfied now that we have finally finished the book with the Christmas songs.
But he had to play almost blind, because he couldn't find his glasses, lol. He asked if it was normal for old people to forget for example where they have put their glasses, and I said sorry but yes, this kind of knowledge is widespread. ;D
He sometimes is confused, but he has only two students at the moment. His partner and me.

Mini and I have watched the first two episodes of Percy Jackson and we liked it a lot. Most of it was almost like in the book. The new episodes will be out every Wednesday from now on. It looks like they are doing one season for each book, which I think is the best way to go about it. Also the actors will age with each season, which will be a bit like the Harry Potter cast aging with each film, just like in the books.

I have still not yet finished An Inheritance of Magic. It will definitely take me until after Christmas, because the days before there is usually not much time for reading, though I can do a re-listen of the DF while preparing for the holidays. I'm at Death Masks right now.

Today there will be one last pre-Christmas dinner with my husband's computer club, which is every year. They don't do much except this one dinner once a year any more, lol. But the club still exists officially recognised since their youth. It's funny, because I knew some of the members or their wives before.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 22, 2023, 10:20:53 PM »
Yes, it is perfectly normal to forget those sorts of things. But do not be sorry, at least for him it is good news that what happens to him is normal, and not a bigger problem.
I am glad you are enjoying Percy Jackson. I may watch it in the long weekend.

I am thinking I may do a quick reread of The Aeronaut Windlass, especially because I was checking some inconsistencies between the two books and I was hooked again. I loved that book.

The dinner with the computer club sounds great. Some  of my best friends are from long ago when we were in a Star Trek fan club  ;D, so I think I understand the situation more or less well.

Hubby and I are going to spend Christmas's Eve alone but on Christmas Day we will go to my cousin's home. The family is a quite sad because yesterday they have to help their doggy to cross the rainbow. I will miss the sweet one myself. I bet there will be tears. But at least they have a cat that (I bet) will suddenly become even more spoiled. Besides that, with the terrible situation, they won't be the happiest Hollidays ever, but I hope being together will be enought to be happy. It will be the first time I met my cousin's son after he came back from Europe (I told you he was in Brno for 3 months+ and he was back mid November) so that is enough to make me smile.

Well, in case I do not "see" you before then, HAPPY HOLLIDAYS FOR EVERYONE!!!!🎄🎅🏽✨
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »
Hello all! I saw "Godzilla Minus One" last night and it's superb, maybe even better than the original 1954 movie, which it very much resembles. Let me just say, for those who have not seen it yet.... one, GO SEE IT! two, this Godzilla is *not* the friendly if grumpy monster we see in the 1970s run. This Godzilla is legit terrifying, and unstoppable and three, it has a real emotional core to it and it *does* hit you hard in the feels. It was strange seeing this after the trailer for "Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire", which is a far more fantasy styled movie with an essentially heroic Godzilla. It just proves Big G is a monster for all seasons, I guess.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2023, 08:14:29 PM »
Happy Holidays for everyone

@PilgrimDan:
Is this a new movie? Where did you stream it? Or did you see it in a cinema? Sounds interesting.

@Dina:
Star Trek fan club!!! I would have joined you. I knew nobody who liked Star Trek. But I have realised a few years ago, that I was just unlucky to know too many people who didn't share my interests, be it Fantasy or science fiction. It was just a bubble and later I got introduced to other bubbles, so I knew I wasn't the weird one. THEY WERE.  8) ;)

I hope your cousin's son talks a lot about his experiences in Brno. And also sad about the dog. :(

Today I have prepared the dips for our fondue tomorrow. My mother will come and maybe my brother-in-law. I have invited him, because his girlfriend broke up with him at the beginning of December and he will be alone at Christmas. But he told us, he already has a new one and not yet sure if the will spend the Holidays together. Ok, he is living his second youth or so, lol. He is 60.

We put up the tree today. The cats are extremely interested and I had to spray them with water several times because they would not stop trying to eat the branches and jump on them, lol. Now they are tired and my husband and the kids are starting to decorate the tree.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2023, 09:41:33 PM »
((((((((PD))))))))))
I have seen the Godzillas (I think pretty much all of them, but I am not a super fan. So I guess I will wait until it is in some stream.

Regen: Oh yes. I knew my hubby from the university but watching Star Trek was one of the things that united us (for example, he did not have cable TV so he came to my home to watch some Star Trek) and so, we joined the same club together. It helped a lot to see there were a lot of people crazy like us  :)

I hope you have fun with your family, with or without your brother-in-love. Fondue sounds awesome!!

The mental visuals of your three kitten watching the tree is amazing. I hope the tree is all decorated now and all pretty, ready for the kitties first Christmas  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2023, 12:05:41 AM »
LOL. I'm the only one still awake. And I just found Mr da Vinci near the top on the tree, looking at me with innocent cat face. Like: I really have no clue, how I got up there. One moment I was on the floor and the next... just like magic!  ;D
And some of the decorations on the floor. We chose a non poisonous tree with soft needles and only wood, straw, plastic and wool as decorations. And we attached it to the ceiling which we never did before with other cats, but I had a feeling, this time it would be necessary.
Before I go to bed, I'll put some cloths around the tree with some spray on them which should keep them from going near, though it never worked with any of our other cats.
I wonder what I will find in the morning. Very exciting. 8)
I don't worry. They should not be able to hurt themselves. We even shut down the electricity for the lights.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2023, 12:28:25 AM »
LOL, I have such a fun imagining that. But I am glad you will cover it so the kitten would not be in danger.

Did I ever tell you I play Pokemon Go? (I know I spoke about that here in Weird but I do not remember if you, Regen, were present. I comment it now because it is so fun these days. The pokestops and all the backgrounds are sporting Christmas' decorations and...snow. Lots of snow. There is also a Winter event featuring ice pokemon. Problem is here is Summer, we are having around 32 C and we even have a pokemon who has a form for each season and it is now wearing his Summer form. So...contradicting and funny.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 24, 2023, 07:50:38 AM »
LOL, I have such a fun imagining that. But I am glad you will cover it so the kitten would not be in danger.

Did I ever tell you I play Pokemon Go? (I know I spoke about that here in Weird but I do not remember if you, Regen, were present. I comment it now because it is so fun these days. The pokestops and all the backgrounds are sporting Christmas' decorations and...snow. Lots of snow. There is also a Winter event featuring ice pokemon. Problem is here is Summer, we are having around 32 C and we even have a pokemon who has a form for each season and it is now wearing his Summer form. So...contradicting and funny.
Yes you told us about Pokemon Go. How cute they decorate for the season.