Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 29677 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2023, 11:26:41 PM »
((((((((DC)))))))))))
I've only read the prologue and ch.1 so far, I've been busy. I hope I can read it on the weekend.

My foot is still sore, even after several kinesiology sessions. My doctor asked me an MRI (I think that is the proper English acronym. For us is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (RMN) but apparently is nothing wrong. I am in less pain when walking, but when in bed or with the feet raised or sometimes when I am just sitting for a while it just hurts. I do not know what happens, but my doctor gave me more kinesiology sessions.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2023, 08:46:00 AM »
My book has arrived earlier than expected. I'm in chapter 3 now. :)

@Dina
That's weird, that your foot hurts more without movement and weight on it. I have no idea why that can be.
I hope the doctor can help you there.

My knees hurt, if I don't move them. That's because of the arthrosis. My foot has arthrosis, too. But it hurts most while standing and a lot when walking, especially with the wrong shoes. But not at all while doing nothing.

Could it be that there is some inflammation in the tendons? Do you take pain killers. Most pain killers also go against inflammation.
I also do foot massages, foot baths and I roll my foot on a hard massage ball with some kind of spikes. That's good for the blood flow. And sometimes I use a bandage for the foot, but I guess that's the same effect as kinesiology, by distributing the feeling of pressure to other areas and making your brain concentrate on the feeling in those other parts while being able to blend out the original pain.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2023, 11:22:30 PM »
I am only in chapter 6. I am so interested because I like some of the characters so much.
The following day I got the result (information? Summary? Detail? I do not know the name. In Spanish it is informe) of the MRI (It is not the images, which I got  in the moment, but the text were a doctor or technician analyzes it). It says that I had a bunion (I already knew that, it is not super serious) and also "sesamoiditis". Which is what my doctor suspected with the first X-Ray. If I understood correctly, sesamoid bones are small things tangled with the tendons, so you were right in asking about tendinitis. So, more kinesiology, time and patient. The bunion was not a problem before, unless I had been wearing very slender shoes, but since the fall it seems to be much more sensitive.
I do not know why it hurts when not doing nothing but I suspect it is that when I remain still the inflammation is affected by gravity.
I had taken an ibuprofen (which is good against inflammation) last night (as I had a kinesio session some hours before and I won't have another one for a few days) and I slept better. The effect remained, as in general I was more or less all right today.
And definitely the shoes are important. I also hope your doctors help you with your knees and feet, with or without surgery.
Yes, in kinesio I sometimes roll balls, spiky cilinders and things like that.

Presidential elections are on Sunday! Next week I will tell you how it went.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »
@Dina
Oh dear. I'm feeling with you. I don't have hallux valgus myself, but I know some who do, including my mom. So I guess it'll come to me too, some day. Because it runs in families and I also have the kind of foot form which results to that some day.
But I do have the inflammation. It is annoying and it hurts. It is annoying because it hurts. But I have had good results by wearing the right shoes with extra soft soles and doing some of the things you mentioned. Also sometimes cooling the foot helps and sometimes warmth is better.
I'd like to not have to take ibuprofen for a longer period, because it does funny things with my blood pressure. So I try to get by without medication until it gets so bad that I have to take it again. Then I alternate between those causing low and high blood pressure, damaging my liver and damaging my kidneys, in the hope to give everything time to heal in between.

The Olympian Affair: I'm still just in chapter 3. The book is big and I can't take it with me everywhere as I would my kindle. My good friend made a crocheted bookmark for me. It's the form of a black and white cat and I made a picture of it while it was between the pages. And I told her how fitting it is especially for this book. ;D She should definitely read it, too.

Next week we will have a concert with our choir. It's the 30th anniversary.  I am a member for 22 years now.

The kittens are still cute and fun to play with. Yesterday Mini's best friend was visiting and she was very shy and seemed a bit afraid of the cats, though she was looking forward to playing with them. They have a dog. She would like to have cats of her own, but her father is allergic, so we told her she could be godmother of our cats, lol. She's very proud of that. :) personally I think young dogs can hurt you more when playing with you. Also depending on how strong they are and how tall you are, they can run you over. Ok, technically a cat can run you over too and they have very pointy teeth and claws, but it never happened to me. And they are usually much smaller than dogs. The rug rat races excluded.

There are some not so nice names for small dog races.

Like Trethupe:
If you step on the dog, there will be a honking sound.

Halbe Leberwurst: a half liver sausage (not sure if this one is official though, my dad used to say it)

Wadenbeißer: bites you into the calves, meaning the dog is so small, it can't reach further up.

There are no such names for cats though. At least I don't know any.

But imo there are less weird looking cat races than weird looking dog races. Except those without hair and those almost without noses. Poor things.

So maybe I'll read some more today. My favourite characters are Grimm, Benedict and Rowl. But I am generally not so addicted to books that constantly change between different characters. Just when I have adjusted to one, suddenly everything is from another's point of view. Makes it hard for me to stay in the flow of the story.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2023, 12:12:51 AM »
Thanks Regen!
I know hallux valgus runs in the families, but I do not remember any of my parents complaining about it. Even when it is super obvious when you look at my feet, so far it only bothers me if I use really slender shoes, what I try not to do. So do not worry. If you ever develop it, I do not think it will be too bad if you do not have it yet.
I am glad to hear you found several remedies for your inflammation. I hope mine will recede, as it was triggered by a falling and hopefully will get better, but if not, I will learn to live with those things that helped me. I try not to take painkiller or anything so I could track how the thing is going. The day I told you I had taken ibuprofen, it was really bothering me, but it has been moderately good since that moment. Today in particular there are moments I do not feel any pain at all, and others were it really hurts, mostly when I leave it still for too long and then try to move it.

I had a very lazy Saturday and I did not feel like reading the Olympian affair. I had been so emotionally depleted by the political climate, that I ended reading silly things on internet and playing small games, things like that. But I will try to read some tomorrow to distract myself for the news until the results are announced.

I loved your story about Mini's friend. I am sure she is a proud godmother.

I remember you telling us about your choir before. I hope the concert is awesome and that you enjoy the celebration.

We have a word meaning the same like Wadenbeißer for small dogs. It is "Garronero" as garrón is a name for the calves. But I do not remember other names like that. We have cuzquito but that means that it is a small dog and nothing else.

I had a few news about some friends, and I was happy to hear them. One of them is having twins soon! He has twin brothers himself and I hope they help him  :D

Well, I try to write soon, meanwhile I hope your weekend goes well. ((((((everyone))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2023, 11:52:56 PM »
Well, and the new president is the one I dreaded. He won for a broad margin. I am confused, sad, and scared, but hopefully I am the one in the wrong and my people voted what is best for the Country. I do not know, I am utterly devastated, but I wanted to let you know.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2023, 10:35:36 AM »
Well, and the new president is the one I dreaded. He won for a broad margin. I am confused, sad, and scared, but hopefully I am the one in the wrong and my people voted what is best for the Country. I do not know, I am utterly devastated, but I wanted to let you know.
Oh no, I saw the news. Only time will tell. I hope you and yours are well.

@all:
My mother has covid. I'm glad that the current version seems to be rather mild to what we've experienced before. In her case it's not the danger of the illness itself what is bad, but she would have had surgery next week. She is getting a new joint in the hip. But now, being ill, she will have to wait for the next appointment. Those sometimes take months. For now she just has a sore throat and a little fever. And she is annoyed because she already had to wait for the surgery for months.

The upside is: she will be home at Christmas. For which I am very glad, because I don't want her to be alone in some hospital. It's the first Christmas without my father and also it was his birthday.

Books: I am still not done with Olympian Affair. I think it is because the book is so large and it is not easy to read one-handed or take it with me.  :) So I got myself the audio version. That's better. I'm in chapter 8 now.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2023, 11:26:27 AM »
Thanks for your good wishes!

I am sorry about your mother having COVID and having to wait but really, it is so good that she will be at home for Christmas. The first Christmas without you loved one is always bad. It will be bad for you and your girls too, so it is good that grandma is home.

I am around ch. 20 of The Olympic Affair and quite interested but I've been busy and I could not read too much. Like you, I have some trouble focusing with the constant changes in each chapter (I mean, we follow different people every chapter).

I've been better of my toe but yesterday I did a short run at home to answer the phone and it really hurt. It was super sore all day, but today is better.
((((((((everyone))))))))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2023, 11:27:59 PM »
Gwen is the best character in The Olympian Affair. Can't wait for you guys to read the rest of the book and agree with me.  ;D :P

Boo, COVID. Not a fan, to be honest. I took the past two days off because I wasn't feeling well. Got home yesterday at around 10:30, laid down on the couch...woke up around 17:00. :o

Apparently I was even more tired than I thought I was, but the nap was nice.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2023, 09:33:46 AM »
(((((((((((((DC)))))))))))))))))
Sorry about Covid! And yes, sometimes you need a nap, even if it is a super long one. I had one of those days a few days ago. I did not take such a long nap but stil. I took a nap. I think most of anything I am emotionally tired. This has been an stressful year. And besides, I've been sleeping uncomfortably due to the heat (A couple of days that were not so hot to put on the fan, but enough warm to feel uncomfortable. Luckily today, after a storm, the temperature is more pleasant.

Gwen and the aetherialists are my favourite characters in the first CS book. I still had no time to keep reading TOA but I hope to do it this weekend.
I also like Grimm, of course, but he is quite a more polite Harry Dresden. I think I am liking other characters in this book.

Doctor Who specials are on Disney+! I watched the first one and I loved it and I am looking forward to the second one tonight.

My foot was extra sore two days (after what I told you about in my previous post) but it is much better now.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Hello!
I've been down with covid, too, but I'm a bit better now, though my head hurts more than yesterday. I guess I exaggerated with showeling snow for 2 hours. Technically I would have showered for 1½ hors but then the guys with the municipal snowplough came through and I had to do the sidewalk again, this time including the heavy ice plates from the street. Yay. In my street the sidewalk is on the same level as the street,  which us not usual, but only because the street is so narrow. So this happens a lot. I am grateful they are making the streets safer to drive, and I tried not to get angry at them, but I only managed because I didn't have the energy to get angry, lol.

There is a lot of snow now, and I hope I can send Micro sleighing with her friends. It is good heavy snow for building snowmen and other stuff. And she is the only one without symptoms.

I hope the snow stays for a while now.

The kitten have grown a lot. The tomcat has very big paws and thick fur. I guess he'll become a tall one.

@DC
Napping is always good.
I am at chapter 25 or so in the audio book. Almost half the book. I am alternating between reading and listening. Though these last sick days I preferred listening, because I could lie down with closed eyes and still go on with the book.

@Dina:
We have watched both Dr Who specials yesterday. Very cool. I wonder if they will do a season with Tennant and Tate after that. Apparently Jodie Whittaker reincarnated to become David Tennant again. I didn't see this. Looking forward to the third special.
Hope your foot gets better soon

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:55:32 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2023, 08:14:12 PM »
Hello there! I hope you are better now.
I never been in a place with a lot of snow, so my poor mind always struggles imagining that. Rationally I know some things but I am sure I miss a lot and I cannot completely gather the concept.
Ugh, having the sidewalks at the same level than the street sounds so dangerous. And Charly would complain so much (Charly is a forumite who goes by the name Cenwolfgirl even when they identified as not-binary now. They had not come here in a while). Charly is visually impaired (severely so) and the fact that their walking cane cannot tell when the sidewalk ends is always a problem.
I've seen pictures of several places of Germany this week, all covered in thick snow. Absolutely stunning postcard images, but I imagine it can be quite complicated for everyday living there. Anyways, I hope both your children have fun. And make sure the fur babies are warm!

I've seen the second Doctor Who special too and I liked it. It was both scary and emotional. Yes, Jodie's Doctor reincarnated in David Tennant so he is now the Ten and Fourteenth Doctor. He is not exactly the same person, he is more mature, sad and open. And no, apparently there will be not a season with them. At the end of the 3 special or at the beginning of the Christmas' special, Tennant will regenerate in the 15th Doctor.

I think I am in ch, 33 or 34 of TOA now. Super interested! There is a lot of action including a
(click to show/hide)

I also watched until episode 3 of Wheel of Time season 2. I have not read the books, but the show has an interesting world and the show looks beautiful. But the first season was not so interesting in itself. Season 2 is much more interesting for me for some reason, but every episode is so long I only watch one at the time.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2023, 01:52:00 PM »
Hi, Dina.
There's no problem with the sidewalk, being not distinguishable from the street, because we live in a cul-de-sac and also in a small village with only those living in the street going through. As we live almost at the end of the street, there are not many people driving by. Most are walking in the middle of the street anyway. The street is so narrow a proper sidewalk would only be in the way. Nevertheless it IS a sidewalk and as such we have the duty to keep it free from snow and ice.
I usually also showel for our elderly neighbour. My mother had one of her neighbours showel for her.
The snow is great, but it took me by surprise, because I was sick and didn't follow the weather forecast. It was long ago we had that much snow in December. And it was from zero snow to 45 cm in one night. They cancelled flights, trains and trams in the cities, because they were not able to remove those masses in time. This is rare outside the mountains, especially for December. Usually there is more snow and colder temperatures in January. The communities are equipped and prepared to deal with sudden snow and ice, but not with so much at such short time.  But it definitely is a sight, if you don't have to get to work somehow, lol.

Now I'm going to take a hot shower and then grocery shopping.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »
Hi Regen! I hope your shower and grocery shopping went well.
Oh, I understand about the sidewalk now. I am glad it is not dangerous. So, cleaning the sidewalks of snow is your responsability? I mean of the people living there? It is good that neighbors help each others, especially with the elder people.
I also get what you mean about nothing prepared for so much snow in such short time. It is more or less like when it rains too much. For example, rains are common on my city, and there is not a problem, but sometimes it rains a lot in just a few minutes and the street drains are not enough. Then the streets are flooded.

I had to stop myself from reading too much yesterday night because I had things to do and then I had to go to bed. It is definitely quite interesting now, but still do not like too much that we have so many "groups" to follow.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2023, 05:03:02 PM »
@Dina:
Yes, keeping the sidewalk free of snow and ice is in the responsibility of the owner of the estate. One doesn't have to do it oneself, but one has to make sure it is done. Some of our neighbours don't have any sidewalk at all and some have a lot. Theoretically, if someone slips on my sidewalk and hurt themselves, because I didn't clean it, they could sue me, but I have never experienced this and never did it myself.

I get what you mean about the book. I like it a lot, but sometimes it is hard to keep the flow, because of the often changing viewpoints.

Today I visited my mother. To see her again after covid and to help her with her phone. I also helped her find a good and cheap tablet online, because she wants to read the newspaper with a bigger screen she can take with her in her purse.
She is well again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:30:39 PM by Regenbogen »