Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 28310 times)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 12:05:23 AM »
I read the news today, oh boy..

I'm excited for the new Cinder Spires, and it's interesting that Jim gave a prediction on how long he's going to take to write the next Dresden.

I am still alive.  Hope all is well in the Secret Hollowed-Out Volcano. 

Hi Dina!
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 05:10:38 AM »
((((((((((((((((((Don)))))))))))))))))))))))
So happy to see you!

Well, the SHOV is mostly deserted these days, but lights are stil on for the occasional patron. For those who want to visit, like you.
And yes, we have news! New book is coming! I will need to reread TAW in the next weeks. Meanwhile, next week I begin my classes, but tomorrow is a free day, so long weekend. Still, March 24 is a day of remembrance of the last dictatorship and how much it costed our Country. It is not a happy day, but at least I welcome the fact that I do not need to work.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 11:24:40 AM »
Hey, Don!

*** lights some lava lamps***

I think I'll reread TAW some time in summer. Then it is fresh in my mind.  ;D

I've just finished Academ's Fury in my first read through. I had some problems with the first Alera book. It took me a long time to finally finish it and several attempts to get past the first pages. Just didn't hook me that well at the beginning.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:26:50 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2023, 07:18:09 PM »
I never read Alera, I did not find the premise interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2023, 07:14:35 AM »
[quick "I'm still alive" post]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2023, 08:12:33 AM »
(((((((((((PD)))))))))))))))) Always good news!
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2023, 09:30:02 AM »
((((((((Dina))))))

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2023, 12:37:35 PM »
How are you doing?
I am more or less ok, tomorrow I have my first class in the year, I am getting read for it. This will be the first totally in-person year since the pandemics, because last year we had some troubles with the computers, so we decided to make some of the practices on-line (and some of them in person). I miss the virtual classes, even when I love the in person exchange with the students. It is only that it was so good to be at home, skipping the commute, and having all the material in power points and things like that instead of several papers.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2023, 04:13:35 PM »
Oh, I'm doing well. Gotta lot of catch up reading to do. Thing is, the back log keeps growing because I keep getting new books to read and I forget about the beck log. Need to fix that.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2023, 11:24:22 PM »
 :D The struggle is real.
Did you read the news about Cinder Spires? Jim has finished book 2! He also began writing the new Dresden one.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2023, 05:50:59 AM »
((((((((((((((((((Don)))))))))))))))))))))))
So happy to see you!

Well, the SHOV is mostly deserted these days, but lights are stil on for the occasional patron. For those who want to visit, like you.
And yes, we have news! New book is coming! I will need to reread TAW in the next weeks. Meanwhile, next week I begin my classes, but tomorrow is a free day, so long weekend. Still, March 24 is a day of remembrance of the last dictatorship and how much it costed our Country. It is not a happy day, but at least I welcome the fact that I do not need to work.

I get to listen to audiobooks while I work, so I have the book and audiobook of TAW.  I enjoyed it more the second time than the first.

I hope your classes are going well..  And days of rememberancve are at least handy reminders of something horrible so that history is less likely to repeat itself.  Although it always seems to anyway :/

Hey, Don!

*** lights some lava lamps***

I think I'll reread TAW some time in summer. Then it is fresh in my mind.  ;D

I've just finished Academ's Fury in my first read through. I had some problems with the first Alera book. It took me a long time to finally finish it and several attempts to get past the first pages. Just didn't hook me that well at the beginning.

Hey RB!

I really enjoyed the first Alera book.  Don't want to put any spoilers here, but I found the way the tension built up in the middle to be fun.

I never read Alera, I did not find the premise interesting.

Game of Thrones Lite  :P

There's an interview when someone asked Jim if he read the ASOIAF series, and he said that he didn't..  but I think he was fibbing.  Alera was started before GoT came out on HBO, and there are too many parallels for it to be coincidence.  But that's just my opinion.

[quick "I'm still alive" post]

Glad to see you are also alive.  Serious time has passed, and I would guess that not all of us still are.  I think about the old crew a lot and wonder how people are doing.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2023, 06:05:48 AM »
(((((((((Don))))))))))))
Yes, my classes are going well so far. And you are right about remembrance days.
I am glad you can enjoy audiobooks!

I have never read ASOIF either. I watched GoT but I won't be fooled again, so no House of Dragon for me.

I watched Last of Us. It was a good one.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2023, 06:12:46 AM »
I have not watched Last of Us yet. 

House of the Dragon was alright.  People seem to really like it, but I didn't get too excited over it.  I listened to the audiobook, so now I know what happens.

I'd like to know how the original series turns out, but the author keeps working on spinoffs rather than finishing what he started.  It's annoying.  But I can't blame him.  Those spinoffs are making him a lot of money, and he deserves to enjoy his success.

But it's annoying.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2023, 08:24:31 AM »
I totally get it. Of course it is his right and he can write whatever he pleases, but it is annoying for old readers.

For a couple of weeks I watched just so much Pedro Pascal  :). "Last of us" and "the Mandalorian" overlapped for a while. Now, it is only the Mandalorian. Which is going well but not as well as season 1, in my humble opinion. Season 2 was a mild one.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2023, 11:10:07 AM »
Alera is good, but I never felt like I couldn't stop reading, sometimes it has its lengths.

We are still watching Breaking Bad, though I think it's the last season. There have been funny moments.
Mini is watching Stranger Things with us. We had only seen the first 3 seasons before.

Last of us is some zombie stuff, isn't it? But I think it isn't free yet on prime.
The Mandalorian will have to wait until after Breaking Bad and Stranger Things.

I am not sure if I want to see House of Dragons.
I've read ASOIAF in parts. I have never owned the books, but got them from a friend. So I didn't remember the titles of the books I already knew. The friend moved away and our constant book flow back and forth suffered from the distance. But she once gave me another of the books, convinced that I had read everything before that. But I was confused. It was the part, when Sansa was Alayne. It took me a long time to understand who this Alayne was. So there must have been a book missing in between.

All in all I liked the books, but I am no fan of multiple POVs. This basically doesn't get the story very far but only makes a fat book. Especially when it's too many POVs.