Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 26536 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 03:01:53 PM »
Hi.
My father is still in the hospital. They postponed his release twice now. The new date is on Monday. We'd like to have him at home. My mother and I have started to make space in the living room so we can put a bed there. He should sleep downstairs at night, because we don't trust him with the stairs alone.

I have started watching the German series "Dark". Interesting. I almost laughed as I realised that finally someone is portraying German weather accurately, lol. A lot of rain. Though nobody seems to have an umbrella except one. If one asked the actors how it was on the set, I am sure they tell them "wet".  ;D

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 06:31:36 PM »
I hope this time is true and he is released on Monday.

LOL about "Dark". I think the show is on my Netflix but I have not seen it. It is true that sometimes weather characterizations are not good. I did not know Germany was so rainy, but I can tell I was surprised by how rainy was the end of year in Paris, and I've been told it is quite common. You don't see that in the movies  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »
Autumn is always rainy and windy. Summer can be too. Usually it alternates between hot and dry days and days with pouring rain.

Dark is, well, dark, lol. It is more tragic mystery, no fun, at least not intended. The rain is intentional to increase the dark atmosphere. I like it, but my husband is annoyed by the music, meaning the background music which I admit is often overly dramatic. Nothing is happening, but it sounds like there is always some evil menace in the background.
I like the ideas though. I am at episode 10 or so. Maybe I'll watch another one today, because he is asleep on the sofa.  ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 01:34:44 AM »
I normally ignore the background music, but it bother me too when it is too invasive.
Yes, I know Dark is...dark  :)

It has been too hot this week but apparently it will be the last week, and the next one will be milder.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 03:59:24 PM »
Hi!
Regen, I hope your father is at home by now.

Here temperature is more tolerable, thank God. Also, I can work from home today so I am enjoying it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »
Hi!
Regen, I hope your father is at home by now.

Here temperature is more tolerable, thank God. Also, I can work from home today so I am enjoying it.
Hi, Dina.
Sadly he ist still in hospital. We are thinking of transferring him to my hospital which has a very good palliative care unit. What medical care he needs right now, we can't provide at home. He sometimes gets better for a few days and then he gets worse again.

It is still cold here, though not as cold as last week (-10°C) but no snow.
Today is about -2°C with a tiny bit of rain, which means it may be slippery in some places and in the afternoon it will be sunny and +4°C.

I am on sick leave with purulent tonsillitis. Everything hurts. Even the parts far away from my throat, though it's been better since yesterday evening. The doctor gave me antibiotics yesterday. This means I am not allowed to visit my dad. So we wait until next week with the decision where to take him. I hope I'll be healthy again by then.

Book update:
I have finally finished reading "Dead Man's Hand". Now I am back at "Soul Music" by Pratchett. And waiting for the "Instinct" short stories in march: the Cerberus/Mouse story and there will be a story from the Mercy verse by Patricia Briggs (something about the cat which got adopted by a mysterious crippled werewolf with memory loss; in the last book his identity was revealed and he started to remember).
Later in the year (summer or autumn) there will be a new Mercy Thompson book I am looking forward to. And the next book by Jim's son will be out, which I also plan to read.
And I have the feeling that I will soon want to reread all the Lord John novels and short stories by Diana Gabaldon. He is an interesting and likable side character from her Outlander novels. So likable that he even got his own spin off series. I have reread this several times already, lol. He is a gay officer in the British army from a wealthy aristocratic family. The books are mostly about him solving riddles and crimes and in the process uncovering secrets and trying to avoid scandals.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 03:06:54 AM »
Sadly he ist still in hospital. We are thinking of transferring him to my hospital which has a very good palliative care unit. What medical care he needs right now, we can't provide at home. He sometimes gets better for a few days and then he gets worse again.
Sorry to hear that, Regen. But sometimes, there is only so much we can do. Transferring him to your hospital sounds like a very good idea, all things considered. And perhaps it will be easier for your mom too. I wish I could give you a long, tight hug in person, but please, accept my virtual one.

Now, about your tonsillitis, that sucks. Hopefully the antibiotics you are taking will control it soon. As you said you are better, it seems that it is working. Silver lining...you have time to read! Or do duolingo! Or watch TV, whatever you find more interesting right now.

I've got a few bad but expected news at my work (I think I already told you about how I am probably going to loose one of my jobs soon). As this is not a surprise, I am mostly resigned. I receive a formal communication, I have 10 days to present a reconsideration appeal. I am pretty sure this will be ineffective, but I will do it anyway because I have nothing to lose. And then I will focus in trying to renew my main job. Hopefully it will work.

The weather is being quite nice now but there is a fair chance of raining tomorrow. We will see. I am looking forward at the weekend though because it is XXL. Monday and Tuesday are Holidays for the carnaval (Mardi Gras, if it is clearer to you). And there is a chance that I stay at home on Friday unless we had a meeting or something. If that works, hubby and I have plans I will tell you about in a later entry  for this bulletin  ;D

Enough for now. Get well soon, Regen!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 06:38:03 PM »
Hello people!
I hope you are healthy again Regen, and wishing all the best to your dad.
We had a polar wave! Around 10 C  in Feb 17! Incredible. But now we are having 27 again, a good temperature. I am on Holiday but I need to go to buy some things, so I need to go. But I wanted to say hello to the Weird  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »
Hi everyone!

Mab is still sending frost and some snow. But there are already some spring flowers peeking out.

I need to wash my cat today. She is quite dirty and isn't capable of cleaning herself
properly any more.
Last week I tried to clean her in the bathtub, but as expected she was not amused, lol. But I managed to get her belly clean at least.
So I keep doing it with two bowls of water and washcloths. Sometimes she even lets me blow-dry her fur.

I am doing a reread of the Lord John books by Diana Gabaldon. IMHO he is the most interesting and fun side character of the Outlander series (the books, not the TV show). And sometimes parallel listening to Codex Alera.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 12:31:56 PM »
Hi Regen!
Here is hot again, but I do not think it will last too long.

About your cat, have you tried with a dry shampoo? It could be a good option. And most cats like to be rubbed with a towel or something as you have to do when you removed the shampoo. In any case, I hope the cat enjoys her bath, wet or not  :)

I've been enjoying Last of Us. Never played the game, but the show is good (I have not seen the last episode yet). I am also looking forward to The Mandalorian season 3, which arrives tomorrow. Oh, I am also, slowly, watching the season 2 or the Hardy Boys. I think I only read one Hardy Boys book when I was a child, but I've read a couple of Nancy Drew ones and played several ND books, so I am familiar with the characters, as they are Nancy's friends. Not in the show though, no Nancy. Season 1 has been interesting in a nice way, but it has a supernatural twist I am not sure I like. It also starred Linda Thorson, and actress I know since "The Avengers" show and who also appeared in one interesting Star Trek TNG episode. I am just beginning with season 2, it appears like the supernatural twist of s1 carried on to s2, but I am interested so far. Two of the characters are now played by different actors, LOL.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »
Oh, the Mandalorian! Yay! Will definitely watch it.
Honestly, I have only heard or read of Nancy Drew as a mention or comparison in some books, but not who she is. I admit, I had to ask Dr. Google for further information.

We are watching Breaking Bad. I never informed myself before, what it was about, and honestly I wouldn't have watched it after the information. But my husband saw the first episode and convinced me. LOL, I thought it was about two guys breaking out of prison. But that was Prison Break, lol.
We are at season 2 or 3, not sure, but I like it.
Micro asked me what it was about and I told her, it is about a chemistry teacher and criminal activity. Boring and not for children.  ;D
One of the actors is Q from Star Trek. :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 01:13:03 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 10:05:21 PM »
Ah, I did not know Q worked there. I am not interested in the BB story myself, but everybody says it is very good. Also, you made me laugh with your confusion with Prison Break. What is fun of the latter, for me, is that both main actors worked in the Arrowverse as friends (villains, cold and heat based).

I watched the first 2 episodes of Picard, so far it is fun.

About Nancy Drew, I read a couple of books when I was a child, but the translation was not very good and it showed because the writing sounded too artificial. But I played a lot of the computer games by Her interactive, which are perfect for me because they are text and puzzle based. I like them.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
Hi people! I just wanted to say hello, as it is been a while.
We are surfing a heat wave, but apparently it is going to recede starting today. I hope so. It has been exhausting to go to work with this heat, thanks God for the air conditioning in buses. That was not so common a few years ago.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023, 01:57:20 PM »
Hi, I am here! Was just busy for a while. Now everything starts to go normal again.
I have read the news about JB having finished The Olympian Affair and started the next Dresden.

I am still re-reading the Lord John series, occasionally taking a break reading this and that short story.
I plan to read "Der Schwarm" by Frank Schätzing afterwards. They recently made a TV adaption, but I didn't have time to watch it. My cousin's wife told me, the book was great but since the TV series she could not bring herself to eat any more fish, lol.
So I decided to eat the yummy fish at the family gathering and read the book after that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(Sch%C3%A4tzing_novel)
I don't know if I will like it, but I got the book for free on prime reading for quite a while now.

Spring time is here, the birds are back and today it has been sunny and warm 18°C.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2023, 03:51:08 PM »
Oooh, I did not know that. I had checked his twitter a few days ago, with no news! I am super happy to hear that.
We had a few hard days, as hubby had trouble with his legs again and we had to go to the hospital, but luckily he was only given an at-home treatment with antibiotics, and he seems to be responding well. So I am relieved.
Next week I will begin my classes, I am anxious but also happy, I like to teach.
I will check that series later. I would have no problem as I do not eat fish anyways (I am probably allergic to them).
Here is Autumn! And it shows! It came with cloudy, cool days. Around 20ºC but with a nice breeze, so it feels a touch cooler. I love days like these ones.
I need to work a little, but I wanted to say, welcome back and ((((((((((((Regen))))))))))
Missing you, Md