Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 29744 times)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2023, 04:03:15 PM »
Oh, Jim just announced on Twitter that Book 2 of Cinder Spires will be released on November 7.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2023, 04:56:11 PM »
Uh, that is a little complicated to answer. And as I said, no spoilers in Weird.
LOL

@PilgrimDan

Well, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the book. Do you already have it?

Oh, Jim just announced on Twitter that Book 2 of Cinder Spires will be released on November 7.

*dance of joy*

I hope the next Dresden will go as smoothly as this one.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2023, 07:36:25 PM »
@PilgrimDan

Well, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the book. Do you already have it?

Just got it today. Banging opening. Literally.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2023, 11:31:58 PM »
Get ready, PD! It is a ride!

Yay!!! It is so good to have a date  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2023, 10:39:16 PM »
Hi Weird!
That is hilarious about Breaking Bad  :) I've read something about an actor of BB appearing in the most recent episode of The Mandalorian, but I could not tell you who as I do not watch BB.

Aaaah, I just noticed I am so stupid! Of course there is this actor in plain sight. It's Moff Gideon. I saw him first in Once Upon A Time. He played Regina's mirror, as in "mirror, mirror on the wall".

@PilgrimDan

Have you finished the book? Did you manage to sleep between?  ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2023, 10:56:42 PM »
Hi!
No, that is not who I was talking about. Moff Gideon appears in several chapters, the person I was talking about had appeared only in one episode (perhaps two, I have not see the season finale yet). I finally checked and according to what
I read the actor I was talking about played a character called Skinny Pete in BB.

We never watched Once Upon a Time for two reasons 1) I thought it sounded like a ripoff of the comic Fables, and I did not want to support it  :) 2) we were tired of the character of Cameron in "House" so we did not want to see the actress again (Jennifer Morrison).

On Thursday my colleague was ill and I was the only teacher in my class. It was exhausting because it had a while of exercise in computers and another about pen & paper excercises. It was logistically bothersome to be alone. But I think it went well anyway.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2023, 11:21:00 PM »
Oh, Skinny Pete! Didn't notice him. But I googled it. He was there at the end of the second to last episode, not very noticeable, one of the
(click to show/hide)
. Wouldn't have recognised him. Skinny Pete always wore his beanie, he was one of Jesse's friends and fellow drug users/drug dealers.

It is always bad to work alone when it is supposed to be a team. Or doing the job of two or more persons while being expected to achieve the same quality, speed and workload, as if they were there. One can manage for a time, but it gradually exhausts you.
Glad you made it.  8)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »
Get ready, PD! It is a ride!
Yay!!! It is so good to have a date  :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's putting it mildly. I seriously think Jim may have outdone himself here.
Rudolph is a stupid trigger happy SOB and I hope he doesn't just get drummed out of the CPD but serves serious jail time.

Oh, and "Christmas Eve" is adorable. The notion of Mab doing something so ordinary as watching a Disney movie is hilarious.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2023, 10:52:11 PM »
(((((((((((PD))))))))))
I agree with both statements. Besides, Christmas'Eve really moved me, my eyes were shiny.

I have been quite busy these days doing some paperwork and other formal things Boring but necessary stuff. Also, my colleague is healthy again, so today was a normal class, without any problems. It went well.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2023, 04:09:10 PM »
I also think Mab is right in her assessment of Disney movies weakening humanity's psychological defenses against Faerie, especially its more malicious inhabitants.

A side note: I swear Jim quoted James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom from the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie with the line: "What is the sword compared to hand that wields it." (Jones straight up steals that movie with every scene he's in BTW.) Of course, Doom is neglecting an even more important point: what is the hand the wields the sword compared to the will that drives the hand?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2023, 04:18:26 PM »
Agree again.

I remember when Disney released a Tinker Bell movie (I do not remember the name) when she faced a Winter fairy. I laughed a lot because the blurb reminded me to JB sidhe. i know I posted that in this forum and all. That is why any references to Disney faeries in canon makes me chuckle.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2023, 05:49:34 PM »
I actually admire Mab. She's a monster yes, but she is unfailingly attentive to her duties and the needs of her vassals. And look at how she supported Harry when he insisted they had a duty to recompense the fallen and their families. Granted, some of that was self interest, but she also correctly points out that they have a moral duty, as well.

Other things:
Freydis shoving a grenade into the Kraken's head wound to blow it up: Hell yeah.
Harry and Lara are now betrothed? Dear God.  :o.
For all the White Council losing their "s" over Harry, look at how Michael reacts to him. With exactly the same trust that he always has.
"You think your mother and I are blind, as well as old?"
Marcone is a Knight of the Blackened Denarius? That's fairly terrifying.
Ordinary Chicago residents fighting back to save their city.
Any scene with Maggie, Harry and Mouse together.
And, of course, Butters. Pick a scene, any scene, with him in and tell me he's not stone cold awesome in it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:23:48 PM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2023, 10:58:01 PM »
I do not know if I "admire" Mab but I respect her. I also can understand her a little.
i love Butters and in BG he was awesome. And Michael, of course.

Today was a good class. Also, the weather became suddenly warmer. it feels nice.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2023, 12:02:18 PM »
I love Mab. I remember feeling very excited when she first appeared in Summer Knight. 8)

PD, if you want more... I don't know if you know already, but there are several other interesting microfictions on Jim's website. Just look at the upcoming works page.

I am still reading "Der Schwarm". I'm at about 60%. It's 1000 pages. I like it a lot. I know people who couldn't read it because of the boring parts. The boring parts being mostly scientific stuff (biology, geology,...), so not boring for me. But I can understand how someone who wasn't interested in this stuff before can get bored by it, lol. The book is basically one about an apocalypse with fantasy and science fiction elements but so far with plausible explanations, at least for how it is all happening. At this point they are getting nearer to why and a theoretical who.

My audible app sometimes works, but most of the time not. But I managed to continue anyway with Alera, because the newer kindle e-books all have audible function. You can use it via Bluetooth.

Last week I worked the nightshift, so this week I am at home. Yay! I always use the time to read a lot and to sleep at noon. I need the sleep because of the jet lag.

Today it is raining, yesterday it was cold, but the other days it will get warmer. Everything is green, birds are singing, insects crawling.... Spring time is here.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2023, 12:28:32 PM »
Hi Regen!
Yes, Mab is an awesome character.
I am now feeling a little disappointed about Marcone or, better said, about the Marcone-Dresden interaction. But most of the other characters are so good.
I hope you can get some well-deserved rest.

Oh, i finished the Mandalorian, and I liked it. Grogu is such a badass.
Missing you, Md