Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 29550 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2023, 07:01:51 PM »
Hello everyone!
It is Good Friday. Here what we call the Holy Week is Thursday is a day without school, banks, and most people do not have to go to work, but other people have to. Good Friday is like a Sunday. For us Catholics these are days of introspection. But if you celebrate, I wish you a happy Easter Sunday!
We are also having a new raise in the temperature, not a heat wave. It is quite nice.
Last of us is in HBOmax for me. It is based on a game and yes, it is a zombie stuff indeed only the monsters are not real zombie but fungi infected people. The show is actually quite good, zombies are just the excuse for other things and for the post-apocalyptic word.

The Mandalorian is not so good this season as the previous ones, I think.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »
Hey everybody!
The kids have found all the chocolate eggs and bunnies I have the Easter Bunny has hidden outside.
At noon we are going to a restaurant with my mother. I'll take the bike, because there will be a lot to eat in the next days. We have 8 coloured eggs left.

I have started reading "Der Schwarm" by Frank Schätzing. It is a good book, though all the people, no matter who it is, are talking exactly like the author in direct speech. In a somehow pompous way, lol. Like one does, when one wants to sound intelligent.
But it is well written. And so far it is interesting.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2023, 11:58:08 AM »
Hi there! In general, we do not have eggs hunting. It is not a tradition here, but some people who loves to follow the USA trends is beginning to do it now. Anyways, as we have no children, hubby and I bought a nice chocolate egg, with pistachios and sea salt. It was delicious!  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 07:51:18 AM »
Egg hunting is an old tradition here. Though nowadays you just hide chocolate eggs and the painted eggs stay in their basket inside. At least this is what we do. Usually one hangs some empty painted eggs on twigs of catkin bush (?). Outside I have coloured plastic eggs.

About the book I am reading: I take back my comment about direct speech. I'm on page 60 now and it has become more normal speech. Or perhaps I just got used to it.  ;)

Parallel I am listening to Alera 3. But either my phone is starting to get worse or there is something wrong with the last update of the app. Probably both. The app fails a lot or doesn't even start. I already tried deleting and reinstalling. Power off, power on, deleting unused data, ... Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Sometimes I seem to generate some kind of murphyonic field, lol. Each device I have develops some quirk once I start to use it. Even wrist watches.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2023, 05:54:58 AM »
I am sorry about your difficulties to reread Alera with your phone.
I have a friend who always created a murphyonic field around him  :). That also happens when there are several coworkers wanting to use the same things, like a printer, or even a coffee machine.

We saw The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent in Amazon and we liked it. It was fun.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
Well, nobody is posting, so sorry for the double post.

My classes are going well but I feel my students are lazier every year. Perhaps it is a side effect of the pandemics, I know I am a little lazier myself, because I had a lot of cool things in power point, pdf, etc and now I have to go back to my sheets of paper and to the blackboard (actually it is a green one). Other years I had the problems anew every year, but I do not have the energy now.

I began watching Superman & Lois season 3 and Holy ...! I mean, the superman stuff is fine it appears to be a cool villain (I only watched 2 episodes so far) and the FX are the best of any DC show. But what really blew my mind was the storyline about what is happening with Lois. I am quite invested.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »
Hi, Dina.
I understand your feelings about going back to paper and your green blackboard. Is there no computer for powerpoint and a beamer?

I haven't heard of Superman&Lois. Sounds interesting. Is it on Netflix?

We've had Micro's birthday party yesterday. I made two sorts of muffins: lemon and raspberry. And a cheesecake.
In the evening we made hamburgers. Some patties with meat and some with cauliflower. It was nice.

After the guests were gone we started the newest season of the Mandalorian. Only the first episode so far.
I kind of miss his old space ship. One could get up and walk around while travelling. But in this small one all he can do is sit in his seat. Also I am always wondering where they all have their toilets, lol. I mean he can't just stop in the middle of space and get out. *shrugs*
Also I looked intensively to see how Grogu got out of the ship after landing. But one didn't see it, though the ship was in sight all the time. He just suddenly appeared beside Mando in his hovering half sphere. And where did he store that in the small ship?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2023, 10:48:31 AM »
Hi Regen!
Yes, we have a computer and a beamer (I did not know that was the name of the thing). in fact, in the classes of theory, which are like lectures, professors always use the beamer. But in the practical classes, like the one we teach, we often make the students themselves walk to the green blackboard ( :)) and explain one problem to their classmates, with our help/guidance, of course. So we only use the beamer for some bits of general explaining in the classes or when we decide to explain a whole problem ourselves because it is too complicated, tricky or whatever. In any case, we also give time to the students to do consultation (more privately) and that means I have to approach them with my papers on hand. During the pandemics we had zoom small rooms where we shared our screen with the resolutions to help them with problem-solving. We also had, and still have, a forum where students could ask their questions beforehand and we answered them, but now they do not use it. Apparently they prefer to ask us face to face instead of writing in the forum.

Ohhh, Superman & Lois is a show which is in season 3 now! It is more or less Arrowverse. I mean, producers are the same of the Arrowverse, there are some things in common, and Superman himself is the one who appeared in Supergirl, but in season 2 it was established they are living in another...dimension, universe, reality, whatever you call it. In summary, it shares things with the other Arrowverse shows but it has its own continuity. Easy to follow I guess. I believe in USA it was in CW network, but I have it in HBOmax.
Which is completely different about Superman & Lois it is that it is a show about the family, because Superman and Lois have two teenager boys, Jordan and Jonathan. The show has moments that are more "traditionally Superman" with him fighting supervillains and environmental catastrophes and things like that, but mostly it is about how to raise a family when you are a superhero.
The show begins with the family moving to Smallville from Metropolis, and what it means for them. I personally think the series has very good moments, and very bad ones too. And the worse is when is boring. For example, in my opinion in previous seasons it spent a lot of time with the family life of Lana Lang...who I do not care about. I believe the show starts weakly but it gets better, with a few abysmal episodes here and there. I also did not like season 2 main villain. But the show is quite watchable anyways. The acting of the main characters is very good.

I am so glad Micro had a good birthday party! It sounds like you did a great job with the food. I do not think I had cauliflower burgers. I had other kind of veggie burgers, like lentils, chickpea, rice, soy, and other combinations, but not cauliflowers. And you made two kind of muffins? And a cheesecake? That is awesome!

Yes, Grogu seems to magically grow his half-sphere around himself when needed  :). Last night we watched the last episode they aired and we laughed, because they gave Grogu a way of communicate with people! (Not a speech, do not worry).

I watched the Ahsoka trailer the other day, and it intrigued me and let me wanting to see more, so I guess it was good. Also, the story of the Mandalorian hints to have some connections with what is going to happen in Ahsoka.

We also watched Picard last night. The end is near! (one week I believe  :))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
Oh cool. I need to watch Picard, too!!!! We had to finish Breaking Bad first, which we called "zerbrochenes Bad" in German for fun since the bathtub episode in season one, lol. The one where the bathtub breaks through the floor, because (no spoiler) it was filled with disgusting bathtub destroying stuff. "Zerbrochenes Bad" means "broken bathroom". It is funny, because the English word " bad" means "bath(room)" in German. Yeah, well, the bathtub scene...  ;D  ;D  ;D

To be honest, I didn't bake the cheesecake. I always have some ready to eat frozen one in storage to safe time and for emergency need of cake. For example once my cat ate from the origininal cake and walked over the rest. It could not be served to the guests, so I put the emergency cake out of the freezer into the oven and 20 min. later everyone had cake.
Nobody ever noticed that I didn't bake it myself, muahaha! Except the guests who saw the cat incident. I just left the cake alone for a few seconds to fetch the coffee mugs. About half the cake could be saved and we ate it the next day.

I am so looking forward to Olympian Affair! But for now I am content with my current book.
The audible app sometimes works, sometimes not. If it works, I have to use it immediately or it will stop again. But most of the time when I want to use it, it doesn't work. I wanted it for household chores and for my way to work. Maybe I'll find a way to repair it, but at the moment I have no idea what to try next, because I have already tried everything.
Probably I'll have to look for a new phone soon. Not just because of the app, but because there are other things no longer working properly. And most of the time it is like with washing machines: the repair costs more than a new one.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2023, 12:03:20 PM »
Hi Weird!
That is hilarious about Breaking Bad  :) I've read something about an actor of BB appearing in the most recent episode of The Mandalorian, but I could not tell you who as I do not watch BB.

That is perfectly fine about the cheesecake. You baked 2 kinds of muffins! Here they sell a box with powder to make cheesecakes that does not need baking. I did it 2 times if I recall it correctly. It was long ago though. I still think sometimes the time you save is worthy to buy the cheesecake, even when is more expensive.

I get it about the phone, I changed it last year for that reason. For example, I could not play Pokemon Go anymore  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2023, 01:57:12 PM »
Hi Weird!
That is hilarious about Breaking Bad  :) I've read something about an actor of BB appearing in the most recent episode of The Mandalorian, but I could not tell you who as I do not watch BB.

Oh, OK. I didn't notice anyone. Maybe he was one of the non-humans.
There was Christopher Lloyd and Jack Black in the same episode.

We watched all available episodes in one day, lol. It was the day after the birthday party and we decided to watch the first two, as some of them are only about half an hour. And somehow we didn't stop.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
:D The struggle is real.
Did you read the news about Cinder Spires? Jim has finished book 2! He also began writing the new Dresden one.

That's good news.

And "Peace Talks" is brilliant. Now I have to get "Battle Ground" ASAP.
@Regenbogen - Season 3 is meant to be the best.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:47:31 PM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2023, 11:44:07 PM »
Oh, OK. I didn't notice anyone. Maybe he was one of the non-humans.
There was Christopher Lloyd and Jack Black in the same episode.

We watched all available episodes in one day, lol. It was the day after the birthday party and we decided to watch the first two, as some of them are only about half an hour. And somehow we didn't stop.

LOL! it is addictive that way.
I think it was the episode following the one with Christopher Lloyd that featured that person.
I am looking forward to the finale!  :)

That's good news.

And "Peace Talks" is brilliant. Now I have to get "Battle Ground" ASAP.
@Regenbogen - Season 3 is meant to be the best.

((((((((((((((((PD)))))))))))))))))))) Good to see you!
BG is an incredible ride. fasten your belt  :)  (No Spoilers here in Weird, so I won't tell you anything else.)
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2023, 08:19:22 PM »
As soon as I saw that a Fomor with an oversized eye covered with a patch had arrived, I immediately thought of Balor. And then it turns out she's not a Fomor, but a Titan - who takes out Mab, without breaking a sweat, mind, before blacking out Chicago. I was like:  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

It's good to get back into the series, and has the unresolved sexual tension between Harry and Lara ever been higher?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2023, 11:23:15 PM »
Uh, that is a little complicated to answer. And as I said, no spoilers in Weird.
Missing you, Md