Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 26558 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2023, 11:14:29 PM »
It is that second 2? i have not watched it yet (I watched all season 1 though). So many shows to watch...
This week is the show finale of The Flash and I watched the Titans finale a few days ago.

Sleep well! (((Regen)))
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2023, 11:23:26 AM »
Yes, it's season 2. Oh, I haven't seen the Titans yet. Is it good?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2023, 06:57:56 PM »
Quite uneven. The main storyline is fine, but there are too many silly things. And the ending feels rushed after several new paths were outlined. But I did like the costumes. There is also an episode full of cheap cameos...some of them i could not help but like, because I am such a silly DC fan  :D

I think I will use the long and rainy weekend to catch up with some shows. I have not see the last Mrs. Maisel season for instance. And I suppose I should watch Carnival Row. I watched the first season because I loved the setting and the main actors, but I have to confess I was bored. So I am not enthusiastic about the new season, but I probably watch it. Just for closure.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2023, 05:33:58 AM »
So, we started with Titans. Only episode 1 so far, but it starts promising.

I also watched Carnival Row. Because there were wings and because I realised that Orlando Bloom actually looks better with age, lol. I have not yet seen season 2.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »
Sorry, are you watching Titans season 1 or season 4, which is the final one? i was talking about season 4. I think the first season began weak but got better.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2023, 11:06:27 PM »
Sorry, are you watching Titans season 1 or season 4, which is the final one? i was talking about season 4. I think the first season began weak but got better.
Season 1.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2023, 11:32:26 PM »
Ok, in my opinion the first episodes are weak but it becomes more interesting later.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2023, 08:30:57 AM »
Cool. I liked the first one.

I also watched the first two episodes of "Der Greif" (the Griffin). It's on German Amazon prime. It is a new series made of a young adults book by Wolfgang and Heike Hohlbein, famous German fantasy authors. There are a bunch of books for kids from 10 years and older. I read them all as s kid. For adults he writes more like horror, but there is fantasy also.
I remember the Greif being one of the last ones I read by him and his wife. But I don't remember much.
It's about a boy who inherited a duty from his family, he at first didn't believe in: to be the guardian of the Black Tower. The Black Tower is a very big one, there are whole dangerous worlds in each of its floors and under the roof the griffin lives. Nobody has ever been there and come back alive.
The griffin rules the tower, but he is cruel.

All I remember from the book were the big tower and the griffin.

Of course the boy is special, because he is the only family member who can wish himself into the tower and out again. All the others (OK, so far only his older brother is left) have to take a secret portal.

And I suppose the endgame will be that they fight the griffin and free the people living in the tower.

And there is always at least one character who is not what he seems to be. At first I thought it was the new girl, but now I think it is someone else. How fortunate I don't remember the book. I don't remember if there even was a girl. Or a brother... Maybe they are free creations for the series or maybe they were in the book but with lesser roles.

I like how they made the tower look. And they made the time look like the early 90s when the book was written.

I'll definitely watch the rest of it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:34:09 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2023, 02:31:12 AM »
That sounds interesting (The Griffin).

I had some very good news today at work, so I am superhappy. I am also very tired and I need to go to bed soon (((((everyone))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2023, 06:15:11 PM »
I went biking along the river with my husband today. The kids wanted to stay at home. Better for us. No complaining, mwahaha!
My PT told me to use the bike every day. It's good for my knee. And as I like biking anyway that's not so bad. It's just that I don't always find the time. Thank God we also have an exercise wheel at home that my husband bought about 20 years ago, when he tried to loose weight. So there is also fun in biking when it's icy outside or when it's raining. I placed it in front of the TV, lol. And I could read while using it.

Tomorrow my mother is going to have surgery and I'll have to sleep at her home, because the doctors said they can only send her home if someone stays with her all night in case she starts to bleed. She is taking heparin so there is a risk. The surgery is not big, just a small knot that has to be cut out.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2023, 11:52:58 PM »
That sounds so good about biking along the river with your husband. And I am glad you have the wheel at home, for when weather is not good. And you can enjoy the TV or a book while doing exercise. I hope it all helps you indeed with your knee.

Wishing the best for your mom, try to have some fun together at night. You will be children-free for a night, so perhaps you can find some rest  :D. Next time we talk, please, tell us how it went.   
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »
I am back. All went well. No bleeding. She has to get the dressing changed every day. Today I drove her to the hospital for that. Tomorrow she is allowed to drive on her own.
After the hospital we went to two cemeteries to water the plants on 6 graves. 3 of our family and the others of the neighbours' family, because they are on vacation. It is not hot, just warm, about 20-26°C. But there is a dry wind and there has been no significant rain for weeks now. So the ground is very dry.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2023, 06:21:59 PM »
Super glad to hear about your mom!
Wow, I am surprised to hear about the cemeteries. Here people is going less and less to cemeteries. I have not been in years.
We have 23 C which is a record or something for June. Winter begins on june 21 and here we have such warm temperatures, it is incredible. It is quite clouded though, so perhaps it will rain later.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2023, 05:25:57 PM »
Oh, it's warm then for winter or soon to be winter.
Today we were quite lazy and tired. But that's OK to be on a Sunday. I even fell asleep in the afternoon.

About the cemeteries: I think it is quite usual to take well care of the graves in rural areas. You see lots of people frequenting their cemeteries. When my grandmother was still alive I always had the feeling all the old widows of the village took part in some sort of competition whose grave looks best. Mostly it was about how well kept the flowers were. I do believe there is still some of this spirit alive, inherited by the daughters and granddaughters. Yes, it is mostly women caring for the graves.

The cemetery in my village is also used as a shortcut during the day, but I guess every cemetery in the right position with one gate on each side can be used that way. You are just not allowed to drive through with any vehicle, but walking is OK. It is not that big. When I walk through I often visit my grandparents' grave to say hello.
There are two bigger family graves of my family in this cemetery. But only one is occupied by more than two people yet. There are my great grandparents and their children and one grandchild (my mother's cousin, who died young of a heart attack). This one is mostly tended by another of my mother's cousins, but she lives a few villages further away and so we water the grave too.

My mom decided that when it is her time, she would rather share a grave with my dad in the cemetery of her village and not in the family grave. That's why we water 3 graves now. My mom's brother took over the family grave a few years ago, but I think my mom doesn't trust him to water the plants correctly, lol. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2023, 10:07:17 PM »
Yes, it is ok to be lazy on a Sunday!
We had some rain, but only for short periods of time.
It is very interesting all what you told me about the cemetery. I think here too it is more common to go the cemeteries and taking care of the family graves in rural villages. I also liked what you told us about it being a normal walk. For us, it is such an event to go to the cemetery that it is loaded and for me particularly it has become something that makes me too sad. So, I do not go there, and it is a circle, because more time I stay away more difficult it is to go.

In other topics, I saw Shazam 2 yesterday. I liked the first one better. This one was quite meh.
Missing you, Md