Author Topic: Explanation behind Harry's ID?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Explanation behind Harry's ID?
« on: December 31, 2022, 04:47:10 PM »
In a reread of DB I came to the part where Harry was talking with his ID about the decision to release Lasciel for assistance, and Harry's ID described him as:

"I'm simply the more primal essence of yourself. The one most concerned with such matters as food. Survival." His dark eyes flickered idly over Lasciel. "Mating"

This reminded me of another Harry we meet in the future. Winter Knight Harry. Winter Knight Harry's priorities are very similar to ID Harry's priorities. Which brought me to my next question, where did the ID come from? The best answer I could come up with (admittedly, this is a stretch), but ID is the echo of himself that Harry creates when time traveling. We know that time travel is dangerous and when used at a large enough scale (CD attack on Demonreach), it creates ripples in time. We don't know of any other wizard with an ID, so it might be unique to Harry (no way of knowing for sure). If that is true, then we need to look at unique things that Harry has done, will do, or is. I don't think anything he has done (except maybe dying) that would create a second version of himself. If it was his death, I would imagine the ID would only appear after he is revived. We know per WOJ that Harry will break every law of magic, so my echo through time theory is possible. It could be a starborn thing, but I don't think that fits with what else we know about being starborn. It could also be the fulcrum/destroyer part of Harry, and the ID is what destroyer Harry will look like, and the ID is trying to "come out" sooner.

Again I know this is all a stretch but interested to hear your thoughts.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Explanation behind Harry's ID?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
Id Harry and the Winter Knight Mantle looked at each other for the first time in Harry’s head and became bosom buddies for life. They complete each other.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 10:00:36 PM »
Quite a few others have theorized that the Id consciousness is actually future Harry influencing his past self under a guise that misdirects the past self enough to avoid serious causality problems. It's pretty suggestive that Id Harry first appeared in FM wearing a fine leather long coat shortly before Susan gave real Harry the leather duster.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 10:10:21 PM »
Harry had already had the first canvas duster and probably dreamt about being able to buy leather, so nope.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 04:12:02 AM »
or Susan saw the old duster and SHE thought she'd like him in leather.... plenty of mens' fashion choices are actually their woman's fashion choices....

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 10:43:37 AM »
Of course Molly bought him his second duster so there are two datapoints for this theory.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 02:56:42 AM »
Of course Molly bought him his second duster so there are two datapoints for this theory.

his third, i think - by then it was his trademark. Be like seeing Gilligan without his white bucket hat....

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 04:37:45 AM »
Second leather duster, the Canvas one was replaced by Susan’s gift, and that fell apart after Changes.