Author Topic: Magic bullets  (Read 2139 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Magic bullets
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 11:48:08 PM »
extraction? Some time, but if you get enough flux, not too much. It would hurt more, but Mab is a tough b1tch. She'd likely thank you for doing it as fast as possible, so long as you at least tried to keep the pain/disability at a minimum

<heh>
By her lights, Mab might owe you a favor for ripping through her flesh with myriad bits of cold iron...   :o

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 04:04:15 AM »
Harry charges his rings by punching a heavy bag - are you going to put the bullet in his gloves to charge it up? The propellant in the case has a surprising small amount of kinetic energy - an actual 9 mm bullet is under a third of an ounce. Even Harry's 44 is about a half ounce.

Yeah, the movies mislead most people about the kinetic energy transfer of the bullet (i blame actors, I am with Drax on this) Jim gets this right with Harry’s shield and Duster. The rings absorb kinetic energy from normal movement, they just need to ride around in a pocket for long enough. Speedier recharge is the punching bag.

IDEA-- RE:Harry's inlaid spells on his duster...he rewrites them so that the kinetic energy absorbed is then transferred to some magical foci and redirected towards a foe. We've seen him redirect incoming magics (incoming from the left to redirected with the right? Entropy curse and frozen turkey meet blampire) Just thinking on the fly here. Seems there are tons of things Harry could be doing with the kinetic energy stuff--charging up magic bullets, using the incoming kinetic energy absorbed by his duster to regen his electric ca..uh..hmmm)

Thanks for all the chat on this one. Fun stuff!

Brien

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »
Rewrite it so the kinetic energy of the bullet travels back along the trajectory to the point of origin? Blowing up a gun or at least shooting it out of an assailants hand?

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2022, 09:52:58 PM »

Pull iron filings out of a body with a rare earth magnet? Would hurt like heck, but she'd heal.

Pull iron filings out of a BRAIN. What you get back may not be the same.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2022, 10:11:41 PM »
Better hope you can do it before Halloween

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2022, 10:20:29 PM »
My theory is, the "Mistfiend" isn't from the Nevernever, but is a very-minor Outsider, primarily dangerous because of all the Mordite... which is a substance native to the Outside (so, no:  I doubt a Mordite Bullet would affect an Outsider).

IIRC Jim retconned the Mistfiend's nature in one of the later books where Harry was reflecting on the events of TC, to say Peabody explicitly let loose an Outsider to kill all those wizards.

Mordite being the substance of the Outside, I doubt it would be effective against Outsiders. Harry would probably have to use Soulfire to craft anything that would be bane to them by virtue of being made of a Starborn, and then the massive liabilities of having pieces of your soul floating around that others can take and use against you would probably overwhelm the utility.

I'd bet he probably could enchant a bullet to spread Winter cold throughout a body as soon as it contacted blood, but any target whose magical defenses he can't overwhelm with the Infriga spell anyway - at much less effort - is probably going to be good enough with shields, veils and kinetic speed boosts that the chances of getting a bullet into them are remote anyway.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 04:09:50 AM »

I'd bet he probably could enchant a bullet to spread Winter cold throughout a body as soon as it contacted blood, but any target whose magical defenses he can't overwhelm with the Infriga spell anyway - at much less effort - is probably going to be good enough with shields, veils and kinetic speed boosts that the chances of getting a bullet into them are remote anyway.

Ah, but could he make those bullets AND GIVE THEM AWAY? Tilly or Bradley if he becomes a new buddy might like a magazine or two? Carlos if he comes in from the cold, so to speak? All carry guns. Heck, Harry put them in his own in case he gets caught in another circle like the Shedd. It appears magical charms stay charmed, you just can't pull in fresh.