Author Topic: Who else is out there?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Who else is out there?
« on: December 04, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
During a recent reread of BG one of Eb's lines stuck out to me.
Not everybody, boy. Not even close.
Battle Ground page 53 (hardback). So my question is, who or what else is out there? I know we haven't seen many gods or demon kings, but while there are many parthenons I feel like there is more out there that we haven't seen or thought about. Doing some quick math, there were 13 groups active in the defensive (White Council, White Court, Winter Court, Summer Court, Ghouls, Mortals, Svartalves, Odin/Vadderung, Forest People, Erlking, Archive, Knights of the Cross, Ferrovax) if these major groups are not even close to the whole of the supernatural who else is there and how many groups haven't we seen? Or who do you want to see?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who else is out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 04:48:05 PM »
Well, drawing from my knowledge of mythology and some speculation.

We've seen nothing from any Hindu, Chinese, Japanese, Polynesian, African, Australian or Middle Eastern Pantheons. Rakshasa have been mentioned but we have no Djinni. We have had the Loup Garou and Hexxenwolves but no traditional lycanthropes. Vadderung is our only active Legendary Hero but that will probably change in the wrestling book. The Amerind/Aleut pantheons probably should have had something in BG.

I'd guess the world will expand some in the coming books but there is a limit to how much the Wizard of Chicago will travel and to how much Jim wants to add.

I guess you can count Mouse and his brethren as part of an Asian contingent and we did have the bird people in Change.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 05:12:53 AM »
Haven't seen roman or Greeks. Lea is definitively Celtic, but have we seen any other named beings from the Tuatha? Their enemy fomorians have been seen. The Morrigan could be an interesting spice. And she's higher up the chain than Lea.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 03:28:49 AM »
Haven't seen roman or Greeks. Lea is definitively Celtic, but have we seen any other named beings from the Tuatha? Their enemy fomorians have been seen. The Morrigan could be an interesting spice. And she's higher up the chain than Lea.

The Morrigan would be fun to see. But with the Morrigan being a triple goddess, there might be a greater connection to the founding of the Fairy Queen Mantles.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 05:28:32 AM »
The Morrigan would be fun to see. But with the Morrigan being a triple goddess, there might be a greater connection to the founding of the Fairy Queen Mantles.
I always had the feeling that Mab shows aspects of the Morrigan when she turns black.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 09:49:01 PM »
Think outside the box, the Baku is not from any mythology, it exists because people believed it into existence from the Never Never.

This leads to the terrifying possibility of an entire pantheon coming into existence in a similar fashion to which Harry would be powerless to oppose.

Ronald McDonald, the Hamburglar, Grimace, Mayor McCheese, Birdy The Early Bird, The Fry Kids, The McNugget Gang they all exist in part of the Never Never known as McDonald Land. The one part of the Never Never Harry never wants to be stranded in. Clearly every McDonalds Restaurant borders upon McDonaldland in the NeverNever, so if Harry were ever to open a Gateway in a Restaurant that’s the particular Hell it would open onto.

Of course food in the Never Never has no nutritional value, just like McDonalds in the real world.

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 01:07:37 AM »
Ooh, like in "American Gods"! Or the random beings created when the Hogfather is assassinated (sort of).

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 01:03:12 AM »
Very much so, there are so many humans believing so many things that they will express themselves in the Never Never and eventually cross over into the mortal world and manifest.

That is the danger of the Eye or Ferrovax breaking reality, you would have breakfast cereal mascots rubbing shoulders with superheroes and cartoon characters in the “real” world. This is why I suspect the Mantle of Santa was created in the first place, it was a lightening rod for all that belief, grounding it in a single individual, same with churches and organised religion. However you now have the all these other things where belief is collecting and not being grounded, especially since WW2 with cinema and television and the internet - and because wizards have problems with these things they have a tremendous blindspot.

Indeed I post that human belief and its technology will give rise to the singularity, also known as the White God.