Author Topic: So Fitz is...  (Read 11323 times)

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: So Fitz is...
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2022, 05:35:03 PM »
Maybe Uriel would have been offended if Harry hadn’t tried to circle him? Harry at least tried to take what he thought was a sensible precaution.

Naw, Uriel isn't that small a being, it merely amused him that Harry even thought it was possible.  It shows that there still is a lot in the universe that Harry doesn't know about.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2022, 05:05:31 AM »
Maybe Uriel would have been offended if Harry hadn’t tried to circle him? Harry at least tried to take what he thought was a sensible precaution.

However we know that there is only one Uriel in the entire multiverse, he exists simultaneously in every universe, so you would have to draw a circle around the Multiverse to contain him. That’s what Uriel probably found so amusing, not that Uriel could bust through any circle Harry might devise, but it could never capture him in the first place. On the other hand it is one Mab per universe and Harry was able to circle Titania. When he tried it with the Mothers that didn’t work, so I presume the Mothers aside from being the full intellectus exist multiversally like Uriel and are incapable of being circled

I think we had WOJ they are universal. I think they just have too much mojo. Much like they could not lure Ethnieu into a circle and activate it. She'd just break out.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »
I think we had WOJ they are universal. I think they just have too much mojo. Much like they could not lure Ethnieu into a circle and activate it. She'd just break out.

As it was, it took all of Harry's mental power along with Bob to keep her trapped long enough to do what needed to be done to ship her to Demonreach, they nearly failed.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2022, 02:55:41 PM »
As it was, it took all of Harry's mental power along with Bob to keep her trapped long enough to do what needed to be done to ship her to Demonreach, they nearly failed.

And, one presumes, the Spear of Destiny (or whatever that artifact was, from Hades' vault).  THAT, I think, was the crucial element.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2022, 05:45:57 PM »
And, one presumes, the Spear of Destiny (or whatever that artifact was, from Hades' vault).  THAT, I think, was the crucial element.

Agreed, without that I don't think Harry could of pulled it off, it was still close.  He needed the Spear and a bit of help from Marcone/Namshiel to get that vital drop of blood to call up Alfred.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2022, 10:25:32 PM »

Yes the Spear opens up possibilities which didn’t previously exist, or were not realised in this case allowing Harry to realise Ethnui’s boast about killing the Carpenters was wrong, this realisation boosted his will and allowed him to erode Ethnui’s. Think about it like the time stone in End Game, it allows Harry to select the possibilities where he wins, but he has to seize the chance.

I suspect the Spear is especially potent in Harry’s hands as a Starborn, Harry has been unusually resistant to prophecy, entropy curses and death curses, all things designed to shape destiny but as a Starborn it gives Harry a partial shield to such things. The Spear turns this shield into a sword, allowing him to not only protect himself, but  reshape the destinies of others. This is why Alfred was happy to suggest he take the Spear in facing Ethnui nut perplexed about the placard.he saw no use in the latter.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2022, 01:07:18 AM »
... I suspect the Spear is especially potent in Harry’s hands as a Starborn, Harry has been unusually resistant to prophecy, entropy curses and death curses, all things designed to shape destiny but as a Starborn it gives Harry a partial shield to such things ...
That's an interesting theory, that being a Starborn gives him an extra "leg up" on the whole "destiny" schtick; do we have direct canon or WoJ on this point?

I don't think "death curses" are evidence, here:  I think Harry just found a loophole in Cassius' curse (and he had to become a ghost to do it!  So, it was a pretty-extreme reach, to get to that loophole; Odin himself suggests it's a pretty-rare occurence ... )

Also, I think the only "entropy curses" Harry dealt with were Papa Raith's, which seem to be Outsider-powered (so a Starborn already has the wherewithal to deal with those, without invoking further "destiny" powers).

The "Barabbus Curse" (an inescapable death, which is a pretty damned "destiny" sorta thing!) from Death Masks was Denarian, not Outsider ... but it was I think Shiro who broke that, not Dresden (and we know that the KotC's have their own freakin' "Destiny" powers!).

Early on, Marcone saves Harry from Capiorcorpus & the ghoul; Gard warns Marcone that it was Harry's "destiny" to die there; again, not Dresden's doing (I actually suspect Uriel's hand, here).

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2022, 12:05:59 PM »
I don't think "death curses" are evidence, here:  I think Harry just found a loophole in Cassius' curse (and he had to become a ghost to do it!  So, it was a pretty-extreme reach, to get to that loophole; Odin himself suggests it's a pretty-rare occurence ... )

I don't think Harry found a loophole so much as it wasn't the brightest curse in the matchbox.  Yeah, it sounds horrible, "die alone.."  But for starters, Harry was only mostly dead, he never was all dead.  Second, he was still conscious when he hit the water into Mab's arms, so if he went all dead, he wasn't alone.  Lastly and most importantly, when Malcolm told him "everyone goes through that door alone," it took all the sting and fear out of the curse.  So Harry still might very well die alone, but it is more of a shrug of shoulders than a curse or fear, as Malcolm told him, he might die alone but then go into the arms of those who love him who have passed on before him.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »
That's an interesting theory, that being a Starborn gives him an extra "leg up" on the whole "destiny" schtick; do we have direct canon or WoJ on this point?

Also, I think the only "entropy curses" Harry dealt with were Papa Raith's, which seem to be Outsider-powered (so a Starborn already has the wherewithal to deal with those, without invoking further "destiny" powers).

The "Barabbus Curse" (an inescapable death, which is a pretty damned "destiny" sorta thing!) from Death Masks was Denarian, not Outsider ... but it was I think Shiro who broke that, not Dresden (and we know that the KotC's have their own freakin' "Destiny" powers!).

Early on, Marcone saves Harry from Capiorcorpus & the ghoul; Gard warns Marcone that it was Harry's "destiny" to die there; again, not Dresden's doing (I actually suspect Uriel's hand, here).

We have WOJ that a decision of Harry in GP caused the universe split which is to be used in MM. not every person can make a decision which causes universes to divide. Harry has had so much aimed at him which should be inescapable, yet Harry escapes, deflects or diminishes the peril. Same with the Bloodline Curse in Changes, it got turned around on the Red Court. Harry is like the Spear, his destiny is not fixed and the Spear which does the same for non-Starborn amplifies this in Harry.

Listen or Drakul must not get The Spear. It is Harry’s ultimate advantage over another Starborn.