Author Topic: Why EVERYONE is ok with a wardenless demonreach  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Why EVERYONE is ok with a wardenless demonreach
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »
Two points.

1) I suspect LaFortier was Warden.
2) I also suspect Harry didn't do the Warden ritual, but the the Sanctum ritual- and there will be weirdness

It is Harry Dresden, there will alwaysbe weirdness... ::)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 09:18:44 PM »
The LaFortier theory

LaFortier was murdered after the Black Council found out that he was secretly the absentee Warden of Demonreach, as this meant one of their number could assume the role. Harry however blundered in before their candidate (Peabody) could discretely beat the vacillating White Council to the punch. Peabody was an expert on summoning and binding (his book on the Erl King) making him the ideal candidate. LaFortier appears to have had a similar background, given the description of his rooms. The motive ascribed by Eb that it was to make way for Christos as a Black Council nominee doesn’t stand up following Christos actions in Battle Ground. More Ink I think, playing on the fact Eb and Christos are chalk and cheese.

The identity of the Warden was closely held amongst the Senior Council, Peabody was obviously looking for clues using his ink. He may have had a previous misfire incorrectly identifying Simon Pietrovich, his murder by the Red Court may have been what Cowl was after from the Red Court in Grave Peril, and he and Peabody supplied the information to get past his defences.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 10:14:12 PM »
There was a better candidate to be the Warden than LA Fortier. If they were looking for integrity and power, Morgan should have been given the post. If McCoy can be the Blackstaff without being a Senior Council member, then the Warden could have been Morgan. Perhaps that would have led to fewer executions and more imprisonments among the marginal warlocks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:16:51 PM by vincentric »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 01:50:10 AM »
I think the Senior Council wanted to keep the role within their ranks, and McCoy would not have been on the Council when LaFortier assumed the role.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
I don't think Peabody was SC material. They could have used him to weaken the SC to get their guy in, but if you look at it... he's a clerk. a Supreme court clerk has to be very knowledgeable, but they don't usually get the job - it's a stepping stone.  He's a beancounter/paperpusher. And if they put him on the Council... they lose a mole. That little gray man who is trusted may hear more than an actual SC member - because he deals with all of them.

As to who could have been Warden? What have we seen the Warden DO? Jail Ethniu? So he can't work beyond the Chicago waterfront? LaF could have been loyal and trustworthy and been in the job years before Morgan came along. Morgan could have done the job - whatever else, he was loyal. But... Eb speaks of trusting Harry's judgement - does that mean the Warden may have to break rules now and then? Morgan is not that guy. He might stretch one - he didn't turn in Molly - but not the way to usually bet

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 03:29:01 PM »
... If McCoy can be the Blackstaff without being a Senior Council member, then the Warden could have been Morgan ...
n.b. "the blackstaff" can mean either the WC's wetwork-guy, or the item itself.  And the item is... not well understood by the WC, I think.  They know it's very powerful, and even more dangerous; iirc WoJ says that the main way the WC "decides" who gets it is when someone is strong enough to bond with it, and crazy enough even to try.

I doubt they realize how much it really isn't under their control at all... it's like they're little kids playing dress-up with mommy's fur coat.  But when Mommy decides it's time to go out...

I'm anticipating the scene where Mother winter says to Harry, "Fetch me my walking-stick, boy!"