Author Topic: The Archive  (Read 5713 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Archive
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »
We are led to believe she lives at least in the area...
Are we? (led to believe that)?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 01:36:12 PM »
Are we? (led to believe that)?

Yeah, in Small Favor I seem to remember Harry meeting her and Kincaid's train. My impression was at least during that time she didn't live in Chicago.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:25:15 PM by Mira »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 06:29:55 PM »
Yeah, in Small Favor I seem to remember Harry meeting her and Kincaid's train. My impression was at least during that time she didn't live in Chicago.

Yep.  She (seems to have) arrived on the same train with a group of school-children.

The "obvious conclusion" is that she arrived from out-of-area; on the other hand, maybe that's "too obvious" and is misdirection; on the gripping hand, this paranoid/obsessive "what if" loop is beginning to look a lot like Vizzini's logic...  ;-)

She may have been travelling with them in a form of "protective coloration."
She may have arrived in the train-station via magic (merely to make it seem like she had arrived by train, or because "travel nexus" location was a good site to arrive at, or etc).
She may have boarded the train just 1 station away.

We really don't know.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 08:11:23 PM »
Yep.  She (seems to have) arrived on the same train with a group of school-children.

The "obvious conclusion" is that she arrived from out-of-area; on the other hand, maybe that's "too obvious" and is misdirection; on the gripping hand, this paranoid/obsessive "what if" loop is beginning to look a lot like Vizzini's logic...  ;-)

She may have been travelling with them in a form of "protective coloration."
She may have arrived in the train-station via magic (merely to make it seem like she had arrived by train, or because "travel nexus" location was a good site to arrive at, or etc).
She may have boarded the train just 1 station away.

We really don't know.

No luggage or anything, I had gotten an impression it might have been a commuter line. People don't travel long distances by train as much as by air, especially outside the AMTRAK Northeast Corridor. Probably not city proper, but I had the feel it was area.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 10:08:00 PM »
No luggage or anything, I had gotten an impression it might have been a commuter line. People don't travel long distances by train as much as by air, especially outside the AMTRAK Northeast Corridor. Probably not city proper, but I had the feel it was area.

Actually millions of people commute into Chicago by train, they have to, going by car is a nightmare.  She may have lived in the suburbs or one of the neighboring towns like my son does.  He doesn't use a train to commute every day because of the nature of his job, but his wife did when she worked in Chicago.. It takes my son between one to two hours by car to get down town, it took my daughter in law half that time by train.  Any way you slice it, you can say that Ivy didn't live in Chicago. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 10:52:21 PM »
My guess is the Archive resides in Milwaukee, it vanished for a reason in the Unseelie Incursion of 94, so if it was for the death of the current Archives grandmother leading to the birth of the current Archive in 1995 then Ivy would be 18- 19 by Battle Ground in 2014. Harry remarks at how grown up she looks.

Harry estimated Ivy as 12 - 13 in Ghost Story in 2012, but this is only his estimation and he is an unreliable narrator, so he could be several years off. This timeline would make her 16 when she dismissed Kincaid, when she could reach the pedals and drive herself.

Milwaukee would be a simple train journey for the Archive as presumably she is subject to the normal mortal wizard fudge factors ruling out air travel, and her neutrality ruling out travel via the Ways largely controlled by Winter and Summer. Nick would have taken this into account.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2022, 10:58:02 PM »
I suspect that Ivy was on a train because you can get off if attacked. We won't mention that her stuff would have been in a baggage car.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
Harry estimated Ivy as 12 - 13 in Ghost Story in 2012, but this is only his estimation and he is an unreliable narrator, so he could be several years off. This timeline would make her 16 when she dismissed Kincaid, when she could reach the pedals and drive herself.

I think that works because when we meet her in Death Masks she appears to be anywhere from five to seven years of age given her reaction to Mister.  Then again Jim has a hard time writing young girls. Molly at the age of twelve or thirteen seemed like she was going on twenty, where as Maggie who is about twelve now reads more like a seven or eight year old.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
...  Then again Jim has a hard time writing young girls. Molly at the age of twelve or thirteen seemed like she was going on twenty, where as Maggie who is about twelve now reads more like a seven or eight year old.
This is a very good point.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 05:32:18 AM »
  Actually millions of people commute into Chicago by train, they have to, going by car is a nightmare.  She may have lived in the suburbs or one of the neighboring towns like my son does.  He doesn't use a train to commute every day because of the nature of his job, but his wife did when she worked in Chicago.. It takes my son between one to two hours by car to get down town, it took my daughter in law half that time by train.  Any way you slice it, you can say that Ivy didn't live in Chicago.

Seen NYC ? - Chicago commute is relatively easy. I'm thinking Metro north/LIRR/NJ Transit style.  She could be in the NW suburbs, for example. Southern Wisconsin - Lake Geneva? Jim might put her there for the gaming connection.   ChicagoLAND if not Chicago.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 05:34:05 AM »
This is a very good point.

He could write that off as the difference between growing up the eldest daughter of a pack of kids (assistant mom) as opposed to an only child in hiding. Plus... Charity? She'd age the kid....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 03:13:14 PM »
Seen NYC ? - Chicago commute is relatively easy. I'm thinking Metro north/LIRR/NJ Transit style.  She could be in the NW suburbs, for example. Southern Wisconsin - Lake Geneva? Jim might put her there for the gaming connection.   ChicagoLAND if not Chicago.

Whatever,  been to New York and stayed on Long Island and did drive into the city.. Both are bad, the problem is there are too many people, too many cars, and the infrastructure cannot deal with it. 

But that is neither here nor there, all I am saying is Ivy could live less than twenty miles out of town, and still take a commuter train into town..  Ten miles or twenty miles or a hundred miles, she still isn't living in Chicago.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 05:19:28 PM »
Actually she had a carry on bag with extra clothes in the train. Which means nothing since even if she was local she was staying in a hotel. Kincaid gives the impression that they had come from someplace without snow and maybe warmer but that is just an impression. You can't know what Butcher doesn't tell you. And he never mentions where she lives.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2022, 05:29:01 PM »

I absolutely do not know why -- cannot offer a citation, or even a vague memory -- but had always envisioned Ivy living somewhere in Europe.

???

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2022, 05:30:44 PM »
Actually she had a carry on bag with extra clothes in the train. Which means nothing since even if she was local she was staying in a hotel. Kincaid gives the impression that they had come from someplace without snow and maybe warmer but that is just an impression. You can't know what Butcher doesn't tell you. And he never mentions where she lives.

However it wasn't snowing if I remember correctly when they arrived.  I cannot remember what time of year they did show up, only either the Cubs had no home games when the duel was scheduled, or it was off season..   At that time the Cubs weren't in any playoffs either if I remember correctly so Mid- October to early spring, [not sure when baseball season begins] so yeah, it can get quite cool that time of year.  Actually in most parts of the country one can have chilly evenings and mornings.