Author Topic: How much information does the WC have  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: How much information does the WC have
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2023, 03:03:49 PM »

Harry knows Carlos pretty well, he only needs to order Alfred/island to handle him based on his weaknesses and his strengths.  No contest.

Mira, the LOS here is not Carlos, it's Line Of Sight for the combat. Three letter acronym time. It's Harry trying to effectively vanish

Okay, but easy to get confused because it is also used as a nickname for Carlos.  Why this assumption that defense of the island would be one on one at all?  It is made pretty clear that
though Harry is dealing with a creature whom he name's Alfred.. Alfred/creature and the island are one and the same.. So whoever attacks the island or is unwelcome on the island by Harry, is fighting the whole island.. And the island I think will use any means necessary to combat the intruder or intruders, all at once.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:22:34 PM by Mira »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 07:37:05 AM »
Arianna was in an arena and circling to attack because it was a 1v1 fight. In this scenario, Harry gives Alfred the order and runs away. No staying close, no positioning for an attack, not angling for a better view, he just runs away until Alfred says the job is done. Harry has perfect knowledge of the terrain and can sprint away with no need to watch his footing because of his intellectus. Any WC pursuit won't have these advantages and the terrain will be actively working against them. And all the while, Alfred will be taking them out. Unless they get Harry right at the start of the action, he's going to win. All he has to do is give the order and have Alfred start with Eb. Alfred is going to be doing all the fighting and it has shown to be able to withstand the combined power of both Ladies and the power to take Mab with no prep or binding while on the island.

and while he does this LtW, Mai, or a Warden shoots him in the back.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2023, 07:42:32 AM »
Okay, but easy to get confused because it is also used as a nickname for Carlos.  Why this assumption that defense of the island would be one on one at all?  It is made pretty clear that
though Harry is dealing with a creature whom he name's Alfred.. Alfred/creature and the island are one and the same.. So whoever attacks the island or is unwelcome on the island by Harry, is fighting the whole island.. And the island I think will use any means necessary to combat the intruder or intruders, all at once.

Because we have not seen the island or Alfred engage two enemies at once. He's not a rapid fire machine gun, at least that we have seen. He's the Death Star turbolaser, an incredibly devastating shot - but single shot and reload. He alternated between Lara and Freydis. He didn't hit both at the same time.

Online vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2023, 07:59:55 AM »
and while he does this LtW, Mai, or a Warden shoots him in the back.

They get one shot at Harry, who'll have his shields at maximum plus whatever boost Alfred can provide and then he's gone. I concede that he has to survive their initial attacks, but we've seen Harry do that on multiple occasions.  After that, Alfred stomps them while Harry makes himself scarce and uses his intellectus to monitor the proceedings.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2023, 12:17:19 PM »
Because we have not seen the island or Alfred engage two enemies at once. He's not a rapid fire machine gun, at least that we have seen. He's the Death Star turbolaser, an incredibly devastating shot - but single shot and reload. He alternated between Lara and Freydis. He didn't hit both at the same time.

Not really, they didn't attack at once together.. Harry hadn't fully applied the defenses against them either.  He wanted to try and talk sense to Lara, so the least dangerous means were used on both.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2023, 08:04:19 AM »
Not really, they didn't attack at once together.. Harry hadn't fully applied the defenses against them either.  He wanted to try and talk sense to Lara, so the least dangerous means were used on both.

They were both still advancing to the attack. Neither was a threat, and Harry had more than enough power to do whatever he wanted, and he chose to simply restrain.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2023, 11:05:49 AM »
They were both still advancing to the attack. Neither was a threat, and Harry had more than enough power to do whatever he wanted, and he chose to simply restrain.

So the incident really doesn't reveal what the island could really do if pressed.

Online vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »

Because Harry didn't want them dead just subdued. He used his bare minimum powers. If he had hit them with the powers that he learned of that were capable of stopping the Nemesis beach landing, I think we wouldn't find the pieces without a microscope. That Deathstar turbo-laser is a pretty wide beam compared to a man-sized object though. I think it would constitute an area of effect big enough to handle a small group of humans on a beach.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2023, 03:34:23 PM »
In terms of the island's defenses vs. multiple opponents at one time, I think we really don't know.  We haven't seen it need to do that.

However, I surmise the island can deal with that -- "ganging up" is a classic tactic, and I cannot imagine the OG Merlin (who designed the defenses) would leave such an obvious, gaping hole.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2023, 02:38:10 AM »
So the incident really doesn't reveal what the island could really do if pressed.

Right. We don't KNOW what it can do.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2023, 02:50:14 AM »
In terms of the island's defenses vs. multiple opponents at one time, I think we really don't know.  We haven't seen it need to do that.

However, I surmise the island can deal with that -- "ganging up" is a classic tactic, and I cannot imagine the OG Merlin (who designed the defenses) would leave such an obvious, gaping hole.

But the plan could be sealing the jail, and then picking them off one by one. If my door is locked and they can't get past Merlin's wards, Alfie can go about squishing people till they are All Gone. No rush

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2023, 06:40:28 PM »
But the plan could be sealing the jail, and then picking them off one by one. If my door is locked and they can't get past Merlin's wards, Alfie can go about squishing people till they are All Gone. No rush

I could see that.

Trigger the big ward atop the island -- which only lets in things of the island -- and then treat the rest of the island like a meurtrière (murder hole).  That would be a very old tactic, I could see it being in Merlin's go-to tactical vernacular.