Author Topic: Personality and Magic Affinity  (Read 1247 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Personality and Magic Affinity
« on: July 30, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
With the recent thread on minor talents, it got me thinking about what causes someone to be better at some elements than others. I wonder if personality has a role in this? Harry is very emotional and can go on rampages. Fire is very destructive, spreads quickly, and can rampage. On the other hand, Morgan was very sturdy and had a strong belief in the law, and was a very talented earth mage. Earth is very much the same.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Personality and Magic Affinity
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »
Could be something that plays a role in affinity. Like wizard-Molly, who likely has always been sensitive.

But what would you think is for example Carlos' character trait, which causes him to be good in water magic?

Listens to Wind is a healer.
Who else have we got?

Harry would be fire and force, but he also says about himself, that he is really good at finding things. Is this hubris? Are all the other wizards good in finding things, too, but just don't make a fuss? I mean he has turned it into a profession by becoming a PI.
I believe Harry's talents tend toward creating: focusses, magic items and I think Names.
All the other stuff, the fire, the force, are just him having a lot of power to let those loose. You put a lot of power in your fire and force and the result us a  bigger kaboom.

Or maybe it is tradition. Justin taught Harry to use fire very early. So he has a lot of practise.
Someone taught Carlos the use of water magic. So logically this is what he does best.
Could be the personality or could be personal taste.
Or it is what zodiac one is born...

So far there is nothing in the books about it, but I don't think it is either the one or the other, but more a combination of everything.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
I'm not sure about this, but I seem to remember a WoJ that said that Harry is actually good at Water Magic too, but really hadn't received much training in it and so doesn't think he's good at it.

I feel like this is the hinted at "back to school," thing that has been foreshadowed where Harry trains with River Shoulders and maybe learns some shapeshifting.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:41:37 PM »
With the recent thread on minor talents, it got me thinking about what causes someone to be better at some elements than others. I wonder if personality has a role in this? Harry is very emotional and can go on rampages. Fire is very destructive, spreads quickly, and can rampage. On the other hand, Morgan was very sturdy and had a strong belief in the law, and was a very talented earth mage. Earth is very much the same.

How about flipping that around?
What if different kinds of magic -- magic you practice a lot, and/or magic for which you have an affinity -- can shape your personality?

Just a thought...

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 04:13:39 PM »
Another thought...

Jim has made a point to show us that a wizard needs to believe in what they are doing for it to happen. This was shown recently in The Law but also in Torn Coat when Laccio didn't/couldn't use magic to kill LaFortier. Could this system of belief have a role to play in what you are best at? So if you believe you are good at finding things or elemental magic, maybe that becomes stronger? I admit this is a bit of a stretch but an interesting thought.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
Another thought...

Jim has made a point to show us that a wizard needs to believe in what they are doing for it to happen. This was shown recently in The Law but also in Torn Coat when Laccio didn't/couldn't use magic to kill LaFortier. Could this system of belief have a role to play in what you are best at? So if you believe you are good at finding things or elemental magic, maybe that becomes stronger? I admit this is a bit of a stretch but an interesting thought.

I loved “Torn Coat” aka Changes (damn autocorrect)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
Another thought...

This only shows a characteristic lack of imagination in old wizards. Anyway, your theory has merit. I believe therefore I can is quite popular in magic systems (And inspiring clichéd parts of most movies).
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير