Author Topic: "Dog Men" questions  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
"Dog Men" questions
« on: July 27, 2022, 01:53:10 PM »
I just finished reading it, and I'm wondering about two things:
1) When Harry nearly punched a guy wearing an animal mask, Listens-to-Wind all but threatened to report him to the White Council. What for? I mean, not to defend Harry's overreaction, but White Council deals with breaking the laws of magic etc., (nearly) punching someone in the face doesn't count.
2) After Harry shot the female ghoul's hand off, we see him tossing it out the car's window (after he decided not to use it to find her). Later on, he tosses what I think is the same hand to one of the Dog Men, saying they have a common enemy. Where did he get it? Is that a continuity error, or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:55:51 PM by Dagroth »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: "Dog Men" questions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:46 PM »
I just finished reading it, and I'm wondering about two things:
1) When Harry nearly punched a guy wearing an animal mask, Listens-to-Wind all but threatened to report him to the White Council. What for? I mean, not to defend Harry's overreaction, but White Council deals with breaking the laws of magic etc., (nearly) punching someone in the face doesn't count.
2) After Harry shot the female ghoul's hand off, we see him tossing it out the car's window (after he decided not to use it to find her). Later on, he tosses what I think is the same hand to one of the Dog Men, saying they have a common enemy. Where did he get it? Is that a continuity error, or did I miss something?

Where is this story?

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 03:49:18 PM »
I have it as a separate comic book. No idea, if it was published as part of some larger collection.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 04:28:06 PM »
The Merlin is a secret Furry and will not countenance insults or violence against one of his subculture.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 06:58:57 PM »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 08:27:59 PM »
The graphic novels are supposed to be canon, written by Jim. They refer to events in the novels and stories but are rarely referred to in reverse, which is why there are stories some people have not read. Might be worth re-reading them for things which are coming up now.

The last one I read was Wild Card where trickster Wildfae Puck comes to Chicago setting the various groups the Outfit, the Cops and the White Court at one another’s throats, trouble is Puck is as powerful as the Leansidhe, and is owed a favour by Mab, forcing Lea to back off. There is a scene in it which is given new relevance by Peace Talks and Battle Ground and the flashback scene to Harry’s childhood where Malcolm is teaching Harry sleight of hand. It all comes down to a game of cards where Puck insists they play in a magic circle and he examines the cards for magic. Harry looks in the comic as though he won through pure dumb luck. In retrospect I think Harry used those sleight of hand skills to beat Puck. He cheated mortal fashion, which Puck wasn’t expecting. Thank you Malcolm. Jim retconned the scene.

The bargain was that Puck would stay away from Chicago for a century. It would be interesting if post BAT In a postscript Harry is there waiting for Puck with Alfred. Puck is the kind of entity Demonreach was made for, a being of pure chaos.

The favour to Mab is very consistent with Skin Game and Battle Ground and the reference to Winter Law runs to The Law. Reading them gives a little extra context. I do wonder if The Law was intended originally as a graphic novel, but just grew in size and importance.

Offline JTass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »
Puck is the kind of entity Demonreach was made for, a being of pure chaos.

I have to disagree with you there... To me, at least, Alfred comes across as an embodiment of Order/Law. He's the locus genii of the most secure prison in the mortal world after all.
In D&D terms, his alignment would be lawful neutral. That is to say, follows the letter of the law (although maybe not the spirit), regardless of what the law says.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:51:24 PM by JTass »

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »
I have to disagree with you there... To me, at least, Alfred comes across as an embodiment of Order/Law. He's the locus genii of the most secure prison in the mortal world after all.
In D&D terms, his alignment would be lawful neutral. That is to say, follows the letter of the law (although maybe not the spirit), regardless of what the law says.

I think they mean Puck, not Alfred, there. (though I only have a vague idea about the events of "Wild Card", having not read it yet)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 02:21:13 PM »
Puck has inmate written all over him, and exactly the type of troublemaker Alfred is happy putting down.

Puck was intent on starting a three way war between the outfit, the cops and White Court, with Harry in the middle, just for the fun of it, not for wealth or power, but for fun.