Author Topic: If you were a Minor Talent?  (Read 7274 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: If you were a Minor Talent?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2022, 02:28:52 PM »
Harry would make a fairly decent Necromancer, (an oxymoron) enough Necromancers have commented such.

However Mort is far and away a better Ectomancer than Harry could be an Necromancer. He is closer to being the finished article than Harry. Harry admits that Carlos is more technically accomplished than he is in BG, Thats the difference.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2022, 04:19:28 PM »
Doesn't someone (Lea, perhaps?) say in his way, Mort may be more powerful than Harry?

I'm pretty sure we have WoJ on this, and I think we may even have Harry admitting it.

the wizards are arrogant as heck 

Harry also says this; and doesn't really exclude himself.
But it helps tremendously to be self-aware about it, and open to learning.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:45 PM »
Mort may actually be the strongest of all mortal practitioners in spirit, not just minor practioners, but all wizards including the Senior Council.

That certainly would be a reason for the White Council to belittle him, to keep him frightened and to make him waste his talent, when that talent they do not understand and fear.

I could see him being a future candidate for Soulfire, we know he was working with Harry and Mr Sunshine to allow Harry’s ghost to protect Maggie without going mad.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »
Mort may actually be the strongest of all mortal practitioners in spirit, not just minor practioners, but all wizards including the Senior Council.

That certainly would be a reason for the White Council to belittle him, to keep him frightened and to make him waste his talent, when that talent they do not understand and fear.

Honestly, I don't think they (as a group) understand ectomancy, or Mort, well enough to put in that effort to "keep him down."
They've dismissed him in their own minds, so they see no need to spend the effort.

I could see him being a future candidate for Soulfire, we know he was working with Harry and Mr Sunshine to allow Harry’s ghost to protect Maggie without going mad.
That sounds interesting... and rather terrifying, actually.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2022, 11:55:06 PM »
Yes I suspect a Soulfire powered Mort could make a ghost a really durable ectoplasmic body one which could survive dawn, and extreme damage.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2022, 12:02:34 AM »
Yes I suspect a Soulfire powered Mort could make a ghost a really durable ectoplasmic body one which could survive dawn, and extreme damage.

I suspect that if Mort infused a summoning with Soulfire, that would suffice in and of itself -- no ectoplasm needed.
The Soulfire itself would survive Dawn... and thus so would the ghost!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »
Mort plus Harry equals Einenjharen

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2022, 12:29:20 PM »
Yeah, it's interesting to speculate what a cool ability like Soulfire could do in the hands of someone that had a little imagination instead of a two-bit dropout sorcerer who's just like "But what if I made the fireballs I'm shooting do slightly more damage???"

Like, Luccio is a master Smith, I bet she could use Soulfire to give everyone a lightsaber instead of just Butters.
Who knows what someone like Eb or Langtry could do with it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:31:24 PM by forumghost »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2022, 04:16:21 PM »
For all we know Harry is using Soulfire whilst meditating, I have theorised he is moving the access to the Never Never from Leas Murder Garden to his quarters at Arctis Tor. Soulfire would help.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2022, 04:47:50 PM »
Yeah, it's interesting to speculate what a cool ability like Soulfire could do in the hands of someone that had a little imagination instead of a two-bit dropout sorcerer who's just like "But what if I made the fireballs I'm shooting do slightly more damage???"

Like, Luccio is a master Smith, I bet she could use Soulfire to give everyone a lightsaber instead of just Butters.
Who knows what someone like Eb or Langtry could do with it.

Actually, Harry is exceptionally good at magical craftsmanship.  Bob says most other wizards couldn't have created Little Chicago, for example.  And most of Harry's substantive magical growth (tutoring Molly... being trained by Mab...) happened after he created LC!

I bet (for example) that if Luccio trusted Harry -- and Harry would put in the time -- she could tutor him to make new Warden Swords; in fact, once his mundane skills as a smith were good enough, I bet Harry's swords (even without Soulfire) would be at least as strong as Luccio's... of course, just getting the skills would probably take well over a decade of devoted work.

He's just usually too busy, with higher priorities (although that's likely just a lack of judgement).

But no... Luccio isn't likely (nor Harry) to be able to duplicate Angelic-caliber Soulfire!  If she were that strong, Peabody would have fried his own brain when he tried to mentally-coerce her.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »
But no... Luccio isn't likely (nor Harry) to be able to duplicate Angelic-caliber Soulfire!  If she were that strong, Peabody would have fried his own brain when he tried to mentally-coerce her.

No, nor is Soulfire a gift that archangels hand out willy nilly...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 06:11:07 PM »
It should also be noted that most of the significant magical artefacts in the Universe gravitate to Harry, the Eye is only the most recent example.

As the Placard shows, Harry has an intrinsic understanding of how such things work and how best to deploy them, making him their best possible custodian. The same with the Castle, he understood it immediately when other practitioners didn’t, and how to improve it. He understood how Demonreach was built and it’s defences without anyone mortal to help him. He understood how the Sword of Faith works and was likely a catalyst in its Transformation.

By The Law he has all his old tools rebuilt in record time. Previously this was months if not years of effort.

Harry is an expert technomancer, a maker of magical objects, probably up there with Klaus The Toymaker, but capable of applying his talent to large structures as well as smaller tools.

Harry is both a Destroyer and a Builder.

He is I think going to make a new major magical artifact with Soulfire, before the end of the series.

It probably won’t be a hat.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2022, 06:41:36 PM »
It probably won't be a hat.
You just killed my dreams and pissed on their corpse... :(
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2022, 08:36:38 PM »
It should also be noted that most of the significant magical artefacts in the Universe gravitate to Harry, the Eye is only the most recent example.

As the Placard shows, Harry has an intrinsic understanding of how such things work and how best to deploy them, making him their best possible custodian. The same with the Castle, he understood it immediately when other practitioners didn’t, and how to improve it. He understood how Demonreach was built and it’s defences without anyone mortal to help him. He understood how the Sword of Faith works and was likely a catalyst in its Transformation.

By The Law he has all his old tools rebuilt in record time. Previously this was months if not years of effort.

Harry is an expert technomancer, a maker of magical objects, probably up there with Klaus The Toymaker, but capable of applying his talent to large structures as well as smaller tools.

Harry is both a Destroyer and a Builder.

He is I think going to make a new major magical artifact with Soulfire, before the end of the series.

It probably won’t be a hat.
I completely agree. Especially about the swords! Ever since Luccio told Harry she can't make them any more, I am convinced she would someday teach him how.
Probably she will leave the White Council some day soon. At the latest, when it is destroyed or self-destroyed. Then she could start to teach him. Together they can found a new council with wardens who defend it's members with their new swords created by Harry.

Or Harry might be able to use his talent without Luccio's help to make himself a sword. He is a knight after all  ;)
And I believe he would be able to do so, if he learns how to make normal swords first. And every castle needs a smithy, doesn't it?

@ original post  8)

If I were a minor talent, I would like some ice powers. But foresight would be cool, too. Or illusions and veils. That's what I would like.

What I think I would get:
Random mind reading and reading of emotions through other people projecting their emotions on me.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »
You just killed my dreams and pissed on their corpse... :(

Hoping for the Hat of Retcon? As soon as Harry makes it, it magically propagates through time and space on Harry’s head wherever and whenever he is/was, so Harry always wore a hat, in every universe, all the time.

I think perhaps more likely a magical device which aids in point to point teleportation. Harry has had significant interest in teleportation and sees how useful it is. Being able to grab an enemy and teleport them to the lakeshore to Alfred would be of tremendous benefit. Saves all the trouble of having to lure them there. I note nobody teleports to Demonreach, even Mab, it may be because it is over a significant body of water and  magic is grounded by water, a signal degradation effect which might be fatal, an added protection of Demonreach perhaps. Embarrasing if only 20% of you arrives or it is all jumbled up.

Teleportation is also forbidden to Wizards perhaps because of the reasons set out above, so no one has made a magical artifact aiding in it. So a safe, reliable teleporter artifact which is Dresdens ultimate Hail Mary, and can be used by others.

It strikes me Harry would have mastered teleportation using Little Chicago, at least within the City if he still had it. Little Chicago would be out of commission if it was still around as Ethnui altered the Cityscape too much. Maybe Lea or Mab rescued it after all and will give it him back now it’s broken and he can keep it properly secure this time. Of course he now has the Za Guard to help him collect samples and plenty of space to make a Map Room as part of the Castle. His hand is much better as well. New Little Chicago?

Harry wouldn’t make a sword.

He would make a gun capable of doing the same.