Author Topic: If you were a Minor Talent?  (Read 7324 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: If you were a Minor Talent?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 12:46:35 PM »
I think you mean Lacuna, not Mab.

No, I mean Mab, Tinker Bell is not her idea of a Fae..  She also had a problem with the Blue Fairy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 02:04:28 PM by Mira »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 09:02:14 PM »
No, I mean Mab, Tinker Bell is not her idea of a Fae..  She also had a problem with the Blue Fairy.

I know the ‘Blue’ Fairy is just foul mouthed.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 03:42:33 AM »
I know the ‘Blue’ Fairy is just foul mouthed.

She turned Pinocchio into a real boy even after he broke his bargain.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 04:09:32 AM »
My luck my minor talent would be enhancing plant growth, so I have to mow the lawn more often

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »
My luck my minor talent would be enhancing plant growth, so I have to mow the lawn more often

But if you had that talent couldn't you also stop it? ???

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 05:11:48 PM »
Come visit. My corn is a little late this year. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 09:54:17 PM »
Oh!

I should also drop a minor-talent character concept that I came up with for the DF RPG...

My guy is a bike-courier in some major downtown metro area.  As originally envisioned, he's in San Francisco ... but any city would work, where lawyers & financiers &c need physical doc's moved on an "ASAP basis" from office to office.

His "minor talent" is that anything closed that he touches, he can fully-envision the contents.  Read documents, look at plans, etc.
 8)

(n.b. he has a supernaturally-comprehensive overview of all the contents (like an intellectus); but once you unseal it that's gone, and he's got to physically turn every page to find anything...)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:55:00 PM by g33k »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 02:12:58 AM »
But if you had that talent couldn't you also stop it? ???

Murphyonic field. That's why Harry had no gas or electric in the old place.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 02:15:10 AM »
Oh!

I should also drop a minor-talent character concept that I came up with for the DF RPG...

My guy is a bike-courier in some major downtown metro area.  As originally envisioned, he's in San Francisco ... but any city would work, where lawyers & financiers &c need physical doc's moved on an "ASAP basis" from office to office.

His "minor talent" is that anything closed that he touches, he can fully-envision the contents.  Read documents, look at plans, etc.
 8)

(n.b. he has a supernaturally-comprehensive overview of all the contents (like an intellectus); but once you unseal it that's gone, and he's got to physically turn every page to find anything...)

doesn't sound very minor to me. Get this guy in the right spot, and front run acquisitions and the like?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 03:00:54 AM »
doesn't sound very minor to me. Get this guy in the right spot, and front run acquisitions and the like?

I mean that's kinda on point for "minor talents" in the DF. Mort is a minor talent, but give him a Wizard'S ghost, and he can do anything a Wizard can.

Wizard's just like to dismiss non wizard's because they're all arrogant as fuck

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »
Mort is not a minor talent. His power level is that of a wizard but his powers set it almost all spiritual, comparatively little of the other elements, but still more in all those areas than a minor talent. He was able to do a relatively sophisticated tracking spell in front of Harry for example.

Mainly it’s his lack of tutelage, however I bet he is studying under a deceased wizard, perhaps even Morgan, as that is the most powerful wizard Mort met who is dead whilst they were alive.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 02:02:27 PM »

You can leverage it to good mundane effect, sure.  But as magic goes, it's comparatively minor.  LOTS of magic can be mundanely leveraged that way...

It doesn't actually *do* anything.  Cannot summon the slightest breeze, light a candle, levitate a single bead, etc etc etc.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 02:11:36 PM by g33k »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
Mort is not a minor talent. His power level is that of a wizard but his powers set it almost all spiritual...

Yeah.
I'm pretty sure there is a WoJ from a signing or 'Con event, where Jim said as much.

IIRC, the only reason(s) Mort isn't on the White Council is
 (a) he intentionally "flies low" on their radar, looking like a "minor talent" & sometime con-artist so they dismiss him
 (b) ectomancy "don't get no respect" in the White Council

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
Ectomancy the White Council think is too close to Necromancy, but in their ignorance they do not realise that the two are diametrically opposed. Necromancy is all about forcing the dead into subservience, Ectomancy is giving the dead a voice and helping them to resolve issues with the living and within themselves. With Mort it’s not just a gift, it’s a vocation. Fitz was a minor talent in this area, Mort is a major talent.

We don’t know what Mort did during Battle Ground, he wasn’t in a position to take on the Necromancers so the was otherwise involved. He wasn’t in the pub. I like to think he was busy summoning Morgan and defending his neighbourhood against the Fomor. Morgan is Welsh, he would know about the Huntsman immediately and figure out a way to use Earth Magic to take out the entire group of 13 simultaneously, with Mort using ghosts as spotters to target them. Together they would be extremely formidable.

I could see Sir Stuart and Morgan being great friends, two old soldiers just fading away. I would like to see the ghost of Morgan brought back just to build upon Journal, but there is much you could do with the characters development after he dies, Morgan’s ghost can give exposition about Margaret, the Starborn and Harry’s loss into the adoption system

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2022, 07:14:27 AM »
I mean that's kinda on point for "minor talents" in the DF. Mort is a minor talent, but give him a Wizard'S ghost, and he can do anything a Wizard can.

Wizard's just like to dismiss non wizard's because they're all arrogant as fuck

Doesn't someone (Lea, perhaps?) say in his way, Mort may be more powerful than Harry?

the wizards are arrogant as heck.