Author Topic: Lara Raith marriage consummation  (Read 15066 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Raith marriage consummation
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2022, 11:32:42 PM »
I don't think that will suffice.

Mab:  "Easily solved, my Knight.  Find some wench and tumble her.  There are many who are willing.  If nothing else, I can take you back to my own bower before the wedding is consummated... what is that mortal tradition, again?  Ah yes: ius primae noctis, right of first night."

My WAG is that Harry and Lara are hiding the touching problem for now. Once they are married, Harry would say that his vows forbid him to be unfaithful and, as she is of legal alignment, Mab cannot force him to break that vow. I admit I had not thought in the prima noctis thing, but for some reason I do not see her doing so. Her first thing with Harry was more than physical sex, it was something special, a reaffirmation of her claim over him, but remember Harry's body was still hurt and, if I am not mistaken, their union was a spiritual/mental something something. Harry's body still was in the same place.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:01 AM »
With just a little quick thinking, the protection can be used to Harry and Lara's benefit.

If during Next Book, they are seen working together and dating, they can "reveal" the protection as being with each other, get married and then have a perfect excuse for not cohabiting continuously. I doubt many in the House know of Thomas' solution with Justine so it won't be odd to be together rarely and make a show of tragic star crossed love blooming in times of turmoil and kept apart by the White Court curse. 

Given that justification, they can stay married but be separate.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2022, 08:26:16 AM »
... Her first thing with Harry was more than physical sex, it was something special, a reaffirmation of her claim over him ...

Oh, yes; of course.  It was a ritual.
Ritual sex is a Big Deal(tm).

Ritual sex between a Faerie Queen and a Starborn... on the Stone Table, which channels energy???

... but remember Harry's body was still hurt and, if I am not mistaken, their union was a spiritual/mental something something. Harry's body still was in the same place.

I'm pretty sure you're right, although I think it may be fair to say "it's more complicated than that."  Standing there at the Stone Table, negotiating with Mab as she stalked around him... Harry was standing there; i.e. not limited by his broken back.

Mab (as Harry realized) was closing a circle around him.

I think at some point she actually summoned him (physically) into the circle.  Probably after she he had him laying on the Stone Table (since he was laying down, back at the church).

She healed him there, on the table:  I think his body had to be there, for that to happen.  Not even Mab has unlimited power, after all.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2022, 11:32:10 AM »
The Stone Table transfers power, so I think Mab temporarily shared her immortality with Harry to heal him, she couldn’t do so otherwise, look at when Harry was shot, she had to heal him through other means.

That was incredibly risky, on par with Uriel giving Michael his grace which contained his immortality.

Note Uriel couldn’t do this for Harry, unlike Michael. Incompatible energies?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:34:44 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2022, 11:03:42 PM »
... on par with Uriel giving Michael his grace which contained his immortality.

Note Uriel couldn’t do this for Harry, unlike Michael. Incompatible energies?

I note that Uriel didn't give Harry his Grace.  I infer that he wouldn't, not that he couldn't.

More like "incompatible moralities," I think...  Harry has already proven (repeatedly) that he isn't suitable for a Sword of the Cross; Harry himself agrees with that (note that he never personally wielded a Sword... not even to rescue Maggie!)

I expect he's even less suitable to bear the Grace of an Angel.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2022, 11:52:13 PM »
The point is that healing with magic is difficult. The Alphas have worked out a nasty way for themselves but healing someone else is much more difficult.

We have Lea healing Harry from a concussion in GP, Uriel temporarily healing Michael in SG and Mab healing Harry’s back in Changes and that about it for gross physical injury.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2022, 02:25:03 AM »
... look at when Harry was shot, she had to heal him through other means ...

I think that was Mab supporting a critically-injured body that had no spirit or soul inside it (i.e. the body is trying to die) ...
And doing so for a timespan approaching a year (i.e. across the changing of the seasons, living inside Summer's territory!)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:01:55 PM by g33k »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2022, 07:40:53 AM »
It ascribes limits to Mab’s capability of healing outside of the Stone Table.

The Stone Table has certain ceremonial uses and Mab’s Mantle would prohibit her using it otherwise. Curing Harry on his becoming Winter Knight was acceptable. Healing him literally the next day from a gunshot was not.

I wonder is this is a proscription of the White God to protect human bodily autonomy, free will and to push mankind to advance medical technology? The exceptions are very limited, and this is something oft stated - medical technology is about as good as magic these days.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2022, 10:04:08 PM »
With just a little quick thinking, the protection can be used to Harry and Lara's benefit.

If during Next Book, they are seen working together and dating, they can "reveal" the protection as being with each other, get married and then have a perfect excuse for not cohabiting continuously. I doubt many in the House know of Thomas' solution with Justine so it won't be odd to be together rarely and make a show of tragic star crossed love blooming in times of turmoil and kept apart by the White Court curse. 

Given that justification, they can stay married but be separate.
Unlikely. It looks like a whamp's first method of overcoming protection. Remember Madeleine in Turn Coat? She taunted Justine by saying that she'll bring a "handsome young buck" to her room, whisper desire in her ear until she's "begging to be taken", thus overcoming the protection to allow Madeleine to feed.
Note that Madeleine is not the brightest whamp ever born.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2022, 10:53:01 PM »
Unlikely. It looks like a whamp's first method of overcoming protection. Remember Madeleine in Turn Coat? She taunted Justine by saying that she'll bring a "handsome young buck" to her room, whisper desire in her ear until she's "begging to be taken", thus overcoming the protection to allow Madeleine to feed.
Note that Madeleine is not the brightest whamp ever born.

The Raith’s breed for beauty, not brains, so why on Earth Harry?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2022, 11:00:07 PM »
Harry is good looking enough. And Papa Raith, Lara and Thomas have brains. Also, Maggie LeFay, who Raith wanted. I do not think they disregard brains. But besides that, the reason for anyone wanting Harry is almost always the same. Power.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2022, 05:22:35 AM »

I wonder is this is a proscription of the White God to protect human bodily autonomy, free will and to push mankind to advance medical technology? The exceptions are very limited, and this is something oft stated - medical technology is about as good as magic these days.

We saw TWG give Michael the power to heal Harry's mental block - likely because Mab, a supernatural, imposed it with likely no warning. Uriel doesn't heal Harry because he tried to climb up a ladder against  building on fire and fell. He made choices there.

Even the Apostles did some healing in The Bible. Vanilla humans.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2022, 05:25:10 AM »
The Raith’s breed for beauty, not brains, so why on Earth Harry?

Back in the day, there were many sailing ships with graceful lines. But some had ugly cannons to defend themselves. Harry is a cannon, and often a loose one. But they have uses.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »
I note that Uriel didn't give Harry his Grace.  I infer that he wouldn't, not that he couldn't.

Actually we do not know that he wouldn't if the situation was dire enough.  Lending his Grace is something archangels don't do, and Michael was a pretty safe bet, but even in his case there was some risk, because anyone can fall victim to temptation.  Michael's behavior was close to Christ like during the forty days in the desert.  In Harry's case, though not lending his Grace to him, Uriel did bend the rules a bit, that is why he is still alive.  A loop hole was looked for, found, and Harry was allowed to come back.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
Back in the day, there were many sailing ships with graceful lines. But some had ugly cannons to defend themselves. Harry is a cannon, and often a loose one. But they have uses.

Is that canon?