Author Topic: Getting to the Island  (Read 6631 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Getting to the Island
« on: July 13, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »
Why is it that Harry -- the Warden of Demonreach, owner of the Ways of LeFey -- keeps taking a stupid *BOAT* to & from the island??!?

Wizards mostly seem to get there via Ways... except, for some reason, Harry Dresden(?!).  I mean... we do recall him first getting his mother's gemstone, and pre-scouting the Ramp storage-facility in Nevada.  15 minutes each way.  Maybe the Ways to Demonreach are less-convenient.  Half an hour?  An hour?  Nah, an hour seems excessive.

Yet Harry keeps taking a multi-hour boat trip.

I find this very odd indeed.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Getting to the Island
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 01:05:28 AM »
Because Butcher is lazy.  It pauses the action and gives him a chance to show his skills with dialog.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:48 AM »
The Way might not be particularly pleasant, given the way the Never Never's topography parallels the Prime Material Planes. 

On the other hand, Harry has not even THOUGHT about his Mother's stone since Changes.  This makes me wonder whether Mab has done some redecorating inside Harry's head again. 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 02:58:21 AM »
I point out that when the SC went to the island, Eb, Joe, and Mai arrived by boat as well. Recall that Jim also said places near nasty places in RL tend to be linked to nasty places in NeverNever. So what does DEMONREACH link to? Margaret knew more Ways than anyone - doesn't mean she knew them all. Might not know Rashid's. Or... wasn't there word he walked across the Moon a short distance for one? maybe that is why Harry can't do it? And Peabody traveled them with someone. NN creatures might be leery of attacking his companion, but not afraid of Harry. Cowl? a Walker?

Maybe Harry sees the trip as a way of prepping himself for whatever comes next - shift from Real World to island thinking. And it shouldn't take THAT long - while we don't know where the island is (there are no islands in southern Lake Michigan - that we know of) the lake is only about 45 miles across by Chicago. I'm a little surprised Thomas doesn't have a nicer boat, but maybe he figures like most Big Brothers, if I get something nice, my little brother is likely going to break it. (should have been able to find an old diesel engine and slap that in, give it some pep when needed)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 05:14:05 AM »
Why is it that Harry -- the Warden of Demonreach, owner of the Ways of LeFey -- keeps taking a stupid *BOAT* to & from the island??!?

Wizards mostly seem to get there via Ways... except, for some reason, Harry Dresden(?!).  I mean... we do recall him first getting his mother's gemstone, and pre-scouting the Ramp storage-facility in Nevada.  15 minutes each way.  Maybe the Ways to Demonreach are less-convenient.  Half an hour?  An hour?  Nah, an hour seems excessive.

Yet Harry keeps taking a multi-hour boat trip.

I find this very odd indeed.

Do they mostly uses Ways though? I don't recall them doing so in the books.

With allowances for OG Merlin, the only times we have seen someone reach Demonreach through a Way were in TC. That was Rashiid for one and Peabody+his ally second.

Every other visitor has used mundane or direct methods even counting Harry and Murphy's "bike ride".

Nic and crew in SF used boats while Gard came for Marcone in a helicopter. In TC, Shagnasty swam carrying Thomas, the Senior Council rented a boat, Lara used helicopters and Binder/Madeleine used Jet-skis. In CD, the Nemesis assault force used barges and tugs, the Summer and Winter forces shapeshifted and flew in, Fix used a hang glider and Mab is summoned. And finally in SG, Mab uses a boat.

So we have one instance of dramatic reveal for the purpose of exposition(Rashiid) and another of  the Bad Guys using secret knowledge(Peabody+) and no other known instances.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 01:32:41 PM »
So we have one instance of dramatic reveal for the purpose of exposition(Rashiid) and another of  the Bad Guys using secret knowledge(Peabody+) and no other known instances.

I don't know if it is so much secret ways, but the ways that exist are very dangerous.  If Rashid knows a way through the Nevernever, why didn't he share that with his fellow Senior Council members?  Did Peabody use the same way as Rashid?  I'd say that perhaps the Senior Council knows of the way also but didn't want to take the risk. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 08:59:05 PM »
I don't know if it is so much secret ways, but the ways that exist are very dangerous.  If Rashid knows a way through the Nevernever, why didn't he share that with his fellow Senior Council members?  Did Peabody use the same way as Rashid?  I'd say that perhaps the Senior Council knows of the way also but didn't want to take the risk.

Rashid, quite reasonably does not trust his fellow Senior Council Members, and it might not be his secret to reveal. If the Way is controlled by Mab as I speculate, she has likely placed a geas on Rashid (with his consent) not to reveal this to other than a new Warden. Peabody’s ink wouldn’t have worked on that, and if she did the same to the Warden before Harry, who I posit was Fortier, then it wouldn’t work on him either, at least in this regard, forcing his murder once the link is confirmed, Maeve is nemfected and access is granted. One could guess that Arctis Tor backs onto Demonreach, but one would need a scouting party to confirm this. It would be embarrassing if instead it came out at somewhere like Pontiac in Chicago instead.

As pointed out, Mab has no compunction about redecorating mortals minds, and she has the power to back it up. She always has her colour charts to hand when she meets with Harry.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »

The wizards only trust each other so much. I don't think Rashid uses the one ON the island, He seems to be very reluctant to upset Alfred (good move, Rashid!). Did Harry rebuild the Whassup Dock right over the old one? Could someone have BUILT a Way just above the old dock, possibly to get to the island "politely" - maybe talking as they get off the dock to say hi or ask permission?

Peabody may be using an unknown Way, or it might be a hazardous path, but his companion is that kinda powerful? (If Eb won't take it, I doubt Cowl would. But a Walker could)     

Now a question - I assume Alfred could tell Harry WHERE the other Way is - and if there are any others. Would he have any perception of where they are linked TO in Never Never? Might tell us something about the opponent.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 01:55:05 PM »
First the island and the prison aren't the same thing. You go through a door to get into the prison from the island. From the text you can make some assumptions.

Mab has a high degree of trust from Alfred or Alfred is powerful enough to not fear Mab being inside the gates. The second is supported by Mab not touching the island until invited by Harry.
Mab made a low, disgusted sound and turned to face me. “I have heeded your summons; yet I would not enter this domain unless specifically bidden. Have I your permission to do so?” “Yes,” I said. “Yes, you do.”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 501). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
The inmates do not get keys to the  asylum. Neither Maeve or Lily understood the hazard that they were in in Cold Days.
Mab nodded her head slightly, and descended to the ground. From me, she turned to Demonreach. “I thank you for your patience and your assistance in this matter. You could have reacted differently but chose not to. I am aware of the decision. It will not be forgotten.”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 501). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
By implication they were a moment away from a padded cell in the prison, which would cause all kinds of problems of balance in the  Courts. Following that reasoning, giving Mab access, but with her afraid to use it, makes the idea of a Portal in the garden dubious. This is reinforced considering the portal  opening would open both ways.  Mab could have a Portal placed in the Garden, but why risk an attack through that Portal?

Rashid is the international man of mystery who goes where he wants to go, when he wants to go there. My money is on Rashid being able to create Portals anywhere, at will.

Final note.  Summer Knight establishes the rule for Mab controlling mortals.  She can't unless they are linked to the the Courts.  See the dialog where she has Harry stab himself with a knife.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »

I doubt seriously that Mab has access, she wasn't just being polite when she asked Harry if she could bury the Ladies on the island.  That is an acknowledgement that the island is his realm now.  Also the fact when Harry threatened her by saying if she didn't answer his questions he'd have Alfred take her below.  She turned pale, he can in effect do that.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 04:19:45 AM »

I doubt seriously that Mab has access, she wasn't just being polite when she asked Harry if she could bury the Ladies on the island.  That is an acknowledgement that the island is his realm now.  Also the fact when Harry threatened her by saying if she didn't answer his questions he'd have Alfred take her below.  She turned pale, he can in effect do that.

the Winter Queen has power, but Alfred put ETHNIU on ice, so to speak.... I think Mother Winter could mouth off, but not below that.

What is the real difference between opening a portal and a Way? Is a Way a stable wormhole of sorts? You already KNOW the two ends?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 04:22:33 AM »

Rashid is the international man of mystery who goes where he wants to go, when he wants to go there. My money is on Rashid being able to create Portals anywhere, at will.

He's not making one on Demonreach, for fear of becoming an International Puddle of What's That?. He and Big Al aren't chums.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
the Winter Queen has power, but Alfred put ETHNIU on ice, so to speak.... I think Mother Winter could mouth off, but not below that.

What is the real difference between opening a portal and a Way? Is a Way a stable wormhole of sorts? You already KNOW the two ends?

A portal is a deliberate thinning of reality between the mortal world and the Never Never, a way is a route between portals in the NeverNever which is not congruous in distance or time to the equivalent points in the mortal world.

My guess is that Rashid doesn’t have the power to make a portal to anywhere he wishes, he more likely has an extraordinarily well developed sense of where such a portal will come out in either the mortal world or Never Never. So he might sense  that opening a portal in Mab’s Ice Dungeon opens out into the prison itself, but that a corridor or antechamber near to it opens up on the island itself.

Margaret also must have had a similar well developed sense, especially for her youth. It’s like a sense of direction.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
I described what he does.  If he needs Harry then he always finds him. No matter where he is.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 02:48:36 AM »
I described what he does.  If he needs Harry then he always finds him. No matter where he is.

He was Margaret's friend. He put a tracer on her amulet, and now Harry has it. Tracks like the Summer Pin....

(KIDDING!!!!)