Author Topic: The Law  (Read 15686 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Law
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 01:12:57 PM »
Harry does mention Maggie. He talks about money he's left aside for her and how he has barely enough left to run the castle for 18 months.
Ah, yes. Thank you. I have missed this, I think. One should not read at 3 a.m. lol.
I also missed the part about Marcone and Mouse. Maybe I should read it again while more awake.  ;D

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 04:24:30 PM »
Ah, yes. Thank you. I have missed this, I think. One should not read at 3 a.m. lol.
I also missed the part about Marcone and Mouse. Maybe I should read it again while more awake.  ;D

Well, don't feel too bad, I think the same thing happened to a lot of us. ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 04:26:58 PM by Mira »

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
Well, don't feel too bad, I think the same thing happened to a lot of us. ;)
LOL
Yes, nice to know, that I am not the only crazy one to read in the middle of the night.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 08:33:14 PM »
LOL
Yes, nice to know, that I am not the only crazy one to read in the middle of the night.

Well, on the night of the 4th I waited up until midnight waiting for it to download onto my Kindle.. It didn't until 12:30 a.m.  But I blithely read half of it until 2:00 a.m. and realized that words were running together and I knew that my dogs would enthusiastically wake me sometime between 4:00 and 5:00 am... So I went to bed, should have just stayed up because I had a hard time getting to sleep anyway... Sigh, so I finished it the next morning.. ::)

Oh one more significant fact not mentioned yet and forgotten in my sleepy haze, Thomas is still in his cell on Demonreach.  Currently Harry doesn't have a clue as to how to release him without him dying shortly after.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:36:06 AM by Mira »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 05:22:16 AM »
Harry does mention Maggie. He talks about money he's left aside for her and how he has barely enough left to run the castle for 18 months.

18 months is fine> He'll be a trophy husband by then, and the little woman can afford it.....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 09:57:36 AM »
18 months is fine> He'll be a trophy husband by then, and the little woman can afford it.....

True.. :o
 :-[ In rereading last night I discovered that it was "pub" not "pup" that Marcone was threatening.
So Mouse is in no danger.. :-[  However one has to wonder why Macone would threaten to close neutral territory as designated by the Accords?  Then again was that Marcone or Namshiel talking?

Another thought, much of the dialogue in those chapters was very much in the manner of both the movie and the book "The Godfather.." 

One more interesting factoid, Mab sent Mr Winter Winter to the mortal world to practice law just after Arctus Tor was attacked.. Me thinks this will be brought up again in a later book.. ::)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:06:10 AM by Mira »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 10:36:01 AM »
The Athame was the source of Nemfection in Winter, the attack was to free the Nemfected Lea. Did she think Nameless or Laplander were potential vectors from Lea? Maeve was the last known Nemfected member of Winter, or that they may me used by Maeve? She had Recap spying on Maeve before her infection.

There is definitely something more going on. Nameless is clearly bound by Winter Law OR is content to give that impression for the moment. Does she think him a sleeper for someone else? The Circle perhaps? Do we have a new candidate for Cowl? Or is he a separate member.

Cowl knew Bob contained the Word of Kemmler, Nameless worked with Kemmler rather than as an Heir so would have known about Bob, and Nameless has a honking great Bear Spirit Skull in his office. Was Justin working for Nameless? As a lawyer he could have made Harry legally disappear with Justin, he could have bound Justin like he did Laplander, or used Laplander to do this for him when Kemmler was finally apprehended. Justin now bound takes Bob and waits for the next Starborn to appear.  This may make the Elaine is Kumori theory much stronger. As a Demi -god, Nameless is much stronger than a wizard but still weaker than Mab. That fits Cowl. The Word would fix this,  powering up Nameless to full godhood and capable of overpowering Mab breaking the link to Winter perhaps? That the Future Winter Knight prevents this is very apt. It parallels Butters own future Knighthood in the same book, whic was deliberately commented upon in Skin Game. Sacrificing the Erl King a Vassal of Mab in the power up and the rest of the Wild Hunt weakens Mab.

This is why the Circle and Outsiders are working together, they both want Mab weakened.

My favourite candidate for Cowl is now Nameless. I need to re-read the Nameless/Harry interactions.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
My favourite candidate for Cowl is now Nameless. I need to re-read the Nameless/Harry interactions.

If he was, he was astoundingly polite to Harry, given the way the two parted the last time.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2022, 02:38:36 PM »
Big clue as regards someone new working with Kemmler who would know about Bob, and a powerful new character both in the same Novella, in what is otherwise an inconsequential case. Is this Jim thumbing his nose at the readers?

You have to wonder what Nameless has been doing since Arctis Tor and why Chicago. He is working for Marcone, but for how long? Nicky targeted Marcone since Small Favour, when Marcone took Namshiel’s coin. As a member of Winter Nameless would have potentially had access from Arctis Tor (via the ice Dungeon Lea was in) to Demonreach through the NeverNever, a route I posit the Gatekeeper used. Exiling him from Arctis Tor blocked him from using that route. Maeve then used it in Turncoat to take Peabody and the Spiders to the Island, and that exposed her to Mab as Nemfected.

I have also posited a Denarian member of the Circle at Arctis Tor, a rogue Nicky doesn’t know about and a hidden faction amongst the Denarians. If that was Namshiel is that a connection? Nameless is the best lawyer in town, so Marcone would hire him and pay top dollar anyhow.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2022, 06:37:28 PM »
... Maeve then used it in Turncoat to take Peabody and the Spiders to the Island, and that exposed her to Mab as Nemfected...
Peabody got himself to Demonreach.  Harry hired Vince to get photographic evidence of it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2022, 08:05:15 PM »
Oh dear, I have to explain it again. There is a way from Chicago (Pell’s Theatre, Harry used it) to just outside Arctis Tor. Maeve let’s him in the fortress and takes Peabody to the Ice Dungeon and takes him plus Spiders to Demonreach. She brings him back, takes him back to Chicago and he goes back to Edinburgh. He makes his own way to Chicago.

The time dilation of Arctis Tor and the shortcut through the Never Never, means Peabody leaves Edinburgh first, and catches up with the Senior Council on Demonreach. He leaves Demonreach and gets back before the Senior Council.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
Is there some support for an ice dungeon in Arctis Tor?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 12:13:56 AM »
Oh yes, that’s where Lea and others were stashed when Harry and Charity went to rescue Molly.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 02:21:20 AM »
So you think that Maeve could haul a Wizard through to a portal at the Wellspring and that Mab would allow it?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 04:26:44 AM »
Not more than once. Which is why Maeve had to use another method of travel in Cold Days, that route was barred to her after that little stunt, and probably confirmed to Mab she had to die.

Mab is very much about giving you enough rope to hang yourself, the Revelation in Battle Ground that the Redcap had been her sleeper agent for decades confirmed this. The attack on Arctis Tor may have been for Lea, but it may have also been a scouting trip for access to Demonreach as well. Nameless being barred left only Maeve to use it, it’s use condemning her to Mab. Remember this is when Molly likely came to her attention as a possible lady,  an alternate, alternate to Maeve.