Author Topic: Molly's cellphone ...  (Read 4138 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Molly's cellphone ...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 10:03:56 PM »
Mab specifically takes credit for the car, it's the plot hook for the conclusion.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 12:13:00 AM »
Mab specifically takes credit for the car, it's the plot hook for the conclusion.

I will have to go re-read that section.
Can you point me to the right chapter?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 01:02:26 AM »
I didn’t show any of the nervousness I was feeling. I think. “They both damaged the company car in the course of their attack.” Mab stared at me for a long moment. “The automobile I had prepared for your use,” she clarified. “Yes.” “It is damaged now?” “Yeah,” I said. “I’ve got Mike on it.” “Visibly? That others may see?” “It’s repairable,” I said. “But yes.”

Butcher, Jim. The Law: A Dresden Files Novella (p. 92). Imaginary Empire LLC. Kindle Edition.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2022, 02:05:25 AM »
If I remember correctly there is also a woman in one of the short stories in Side-Jobs, who is a fae and uses a credit card. With a microhip in it if I recall correctly (and as far as I understand it, the US is way behind Europe for that).  Don't have the book, so I cannot verify, but I recall Dresden realising that she could use it meant that she was supernatural and not a wizard/sorcerer.

We have plenty of chipped credit cards. Even the riff raff like me had one for years.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 02:15:16 AM »

Could still be read as "I had [flunky's name] prepare it."  if it is done under Mab's orders, she prepared it. I should think Mab might find it useful to have a human agent or two besides the Knight who can deal with the mundane things. Renting or buying a car. Touching iron. Maintain a safe house of sorts.  Maybe even intelligence.  As noted, a powerful supernatural should have no issue getting a nice financial footing. Heck, send out a subject or two to be human models - they look good enough, would get worldwide travel, "ins" in many circles, make big bucks....  get moles out there.

Might even explain why Christie Brinkley looks the way she does at like 65. She ain't human.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
It's a company car. Owned by Winter Inc. She or her crew have arranged for several cars for Harry. Toot Toot drove one.

If your worried about the alloys of iron then imagine that Mab has Mike, who is really a master ferromancer, coat the cars in an invisible polymer. If you're kinky consider Mab in an invisible cat suit like Justine wears.  Trust me that Butcher doesn't let logic stand in the way of the story.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 07:11:22 AM »
It's a company car. Owned by Winter Inc. She or her crew have arranged for several cars for Harry. Toot Toot drove one.

If your worried about the alloys of iron then imagine that Mab has Mike, who is really a master ferromancer, coat the cars in an invisible polymer. If you're kinky consider Mab in an invisible cat suit like Justine wears.  Trust me that Butcher doesn't let logic stand in the way of the story.

Alloys? Plenty of cars are fiberglass or the like, hardware can be aluminum, or, for the fae, titanium sounds nicer.  Clearcoating is easy though.  Picture Lea getting out of some carbon fiber job with gullwing doors? Ice blue.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »
If I remember correctly there is also a woman in one of the short stories in Side-Jobs, who is a fae and uses a credit card. With a microhip in it if I recall correctly (and as far as I understand it, the US is way behind Europe for that).  Don't have the book, so I cannot verify, but I recall Dresden realising that she could use it meant that she was supernatural and not a wizard/sorcerer.

The maenad; not a faerie, unless the Greek Gods' courts are "faerie" in nature.

She was a demigoddess/follower of Dionysus and/or Pan.

I'm sure the fae can use modern tech (if they can avoid the ferrous stuff); I'm unclear that they would, as I think it's kind of alien to (most of) them.  Much easier to just beguile a mortal to do it for them (usually more fun, too!).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »
Use of modern tech by fae is reported several times but I think it was mainly the lower ranks who did so. The younger gruffs in small favor used guns and somewhere fae with jet skis and firearms are mentioned.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2022, 03:50:29 PM »
Like everything else, the Fae use tech when it suits the plot, mostly to Harry's detriment.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2022, 09:45:22 PM »
Use of modern tech by fae is reported several times but I think it was mainly the lower ranks who did so. The younger gruffs in small favor used guns and somewhere fae with jet skis and firearms are mentioned.
Like everything else, the Fae use tech when it suits the plot, mostly to Harry's detriment.

Excellent points!
Thank you both.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 04:02:55 AM »
Hey, doesn't Fix have a motorcycle he rode Lily on? the fae like to style a bit... cars could apply.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2022, 11:06:40 PM »
It's a mortal cell phone. In SG she walks away and Harry sees her use it. In PT he summons her and she's using a cell phone that the mortal summoning magic lets the magic smoke out of.

Molly also thinks she can leave the circle, but when she presses a finger to it, the fingertip deforms like she's pressing it against glass.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2022, 01:17:01 AM »
With an attack on the Company Car being an attack on Winter, did that inspire Harry to invite Toot and the Za Guard as part of the Garrison of the Castle to make it an official Winter Outpost rather than a personal residence? That way rather than Mab not doing anything to help Harry, she has to defend the attack as an attack on Winter.

In that regard the person who organised the Boom made a rather serious mistake in their timing and is being set up for some major woe. That potentially rules out Marcone and Nameless, neither would be that stupid, not after The Law and the Company Car. The Merlin on the other hand was always my favourite candidate for that, Nick would go for Maggie, too amateurish for for Listen, the Genowskwa would just pull Harry’s head off from under a veil, Mavra and Drakul probably have better things to do with their new recruits, Larry Fowler would sue, Darth Wannabe the previous bomb-maker couldn’t persuade a Gremlin to do anything.

Gremlins are actually a modern folkloric invention from WW1 and the RAF according to Wikipedia, another nod towards the Merlin perhaps? Too recent to be engaged by one of Harry’s enemies in Faerie, like the Redcap.

Is Harry at some point going to trick the Merlin into admitting that he was behind the Boom and point Mab at him?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2022, 04:22:22 AM »
My money's on Evil Bob as the sender of the gremlins.