Author Topic: Am I the only one that doesn't like the way Dresden is going.  (Read 6392 times)

Offline noquiexis

• Participant
  • Sailing on a Dream
    • View Profile
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't like the way Dresden is going.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 11:20:44 AM »
     For me, "Cold Days" was somewhat of a departure from what I love about The Dresden Files. "Battle Ground" was way over the top for that departure. I still look forward to the rest of the series, but I do that looking with some trepidation.

Since Jim Butcher no longer reads this forum, it is unlikely that any of our thoughts posted here will reach him.

??? :-X ???
"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
 Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

William Wordsworth

Offline Braincandy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 06:44:44 AM »
     For me, "Cold Days" was somewhat of a departure from what I love about The Dresden Files. "Battle Ground" was way over the top for that departure. I still look forward to the rest of the series, but I do that looking with some trepidation.

Since Jim Butcher no longer reads this forum, it is unlikely that any of our thoughts posted here will reach him.

??? :-X ???

I loved Cold Days. I loved Skin Game too. The only books I had real problems with were Ghost Story, for reasons most can guess, then Peace Talks and Battle Grounds. It's hard to put into words, there was just a dissonance with the works that came before. Maybe it was because it went deeper into pure grimdark than it had before. I am not sure that was it either.  In Changes,  Harry was pretty stressed and didn't go in for much humor either.

I just got the feeling that Jim had painted himself into a corner and wasn't quite sure how to execute the escape.

That said, it was still a Dresden book and a mediocre Dresden book is better than most stuff. I am kind of hard up for stuff to read now. Jim's release schedule has slowed to a crawl and my other series just wrapped up, the Alex Verus books.

Offline sayyadina

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2024, 09:13:20 PM »
No, you are not alone at all. I lost interest completely after Peace Talks and Battleground for many reasons. I understand plot and character development and am totally fine with being shocked, surprised and even unhappy about how a story goes. With PT/BG they felt like they were written by a totally different author. Its been a while since I read them and they're the only Dresden Files books I haven't re-read. Nor do I ever want to re-read them.

I haven't kept up with any short stories since I just don't care. From the sound of things I'm kinda right to feel that way. If there's ever a plausible in universe explanation for this, maybe I'll come back to reading them again. Right now I'm not holding out much hope for that.