Author Topic: Little Things [spoilers]  (Read 16873 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Little Things [spoilers]
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2022, 06:01:21 PM »
Uriel ... loaned Michael his Grace so the mission would have a better chance of succeeding..

D'oh!  You're right, of course.  My bad.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2022, 07:13:38 PM »
D'oh!  You're right, of course.  My bad.
We all make mistakes, t'is hard to remember all the details... ;)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2022, 09:06:54 AM »
Just listening to the radio and the biography of Roald Dahl. In 1943 Dahl published The Gremlins his first childrens book. Disney bought it with the aim of animating it (which never came about). Disney still published the tie in and own the IP. Gremlins were not a traditional folk creature, they are like the Baku.

I have posited Winter has a beef with the Disney Corp (see the depiction of Mab in Sword in the Stone) when Disney looks to have chosen Summer.

Could the Magic Kingdom have attacked Castle Dresden as part of the ongoing feud? Harry had stationed Winter troops at the Castle making it a mortal fortress of Winter. Is The Mouse the new big bad in Harry’s life?

Interestingly the current Baby Yoda/Gremlins litigation should be seen in the light that Disney owns the IP to The Gremlins.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:24:38 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »
Interestingly the current Baby Yoda/Gremlins litigation should be seen in the light that Disney owns the IP to The Gremlins.

Other than his size and maybe his ears Grogu can't be called a Gremlin... Not even close.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2022, 05:19:52 PM »
... ?
Is there actual litigation?  A quick Google sees a flurry of press coverage a month back, "'Gremlins' Creator Joe Dante Claims Baby Yoda Was 'Stolen' From Gizmo" &c, but no actual lawsuits.

Other than his size and maybe his ears Grogu can't be called a Gremlin... Not even close.
Size, "tubby" sort of teddy-bear build, oversized/elongate ears, large eyes... The claim isn't utterly absurd on the face of it.

But there would be one GIGANTIC problem with any lawsuit: Yoda himself.  Yoda has all those features, too:  tubby build, oversized/elongate ears, large eyes.  Grogu is obviously a "baby yoda" (much moreso than a Gizmo-ripoff).

And Yoda pre-dates Gizmo (Empire Strikes Back 1980 -vs- Gremlins 1984).

If a lawsuit were ever filed, sith lawyers from the House of Mouse would eat them alive.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »

Yup, nor do Yoda or Grogu transform into mini monsters when they eat after mid-night.. If I remember correctly its been a long time since I saw that movie, but I seem to remember consuming food after a certain time having an unwanted effect.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »
Yup, nor do Yoda or Grogu transform into mini monsters when they eat after mid-night.. If I remember correctly its been a long time since I saw that movie, but I seem to remember consuming food after a certain time having an unwanted effect.

Also getting wet, IIRC.

But that "Mr.Hyde" feature being missing from Grogu wouldn't protect vs. a (c) claim.
What provides protection is that Yoda represents "prior art" & prior IP.

But apparently, Disney was aware of the resemblance ahead of time, and even leaned-in intentionally:
https://www.cracked.com/article_34668_star-wars-never-tried-to-hide-that-baby-yoda-is-just-gizmo-from-gremlins.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:10:44 PM by g33k »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2022, 09:22:27 PM »
... ?
Is there actual litigation?  A quick Google sees a flurry of press coverage a month back, "'Gremlins' Creator Joe Dante Claims Baby Yoda Was 'Stolen' From Gizmo" &c, but no actual lawsuits.
Size, "tubby" sort of teddy-bear build, oversized/elongate ears, large eyes... The claim isn't utterly absurd on the face of it.

But there would be one GIGANTIC problem with any lawsuit: Yoda himself.  Yoda has all those features, too:  tubby build, oversized/elongate ears, large eyes.  Grogu is obviously a "baby yoda" (much moreso than a Gizmo-ripoff).

If a lawsuit were ever filed, sith lawyers from the House of Mouse would eat them alive.

I believe Disney have a whole firm of lawyers who represent supervillains over at Marvel, there’s a documentary about it next week.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2022, 11:28:12 PM »
A documentary  ;D

Conspiracy Theorist, Mab seems to like Disney, at least Frozen. I am not sure if she saw "Tinkerbell, secret of the wings" though. I have not watched it myself, but apparently it is about warm faeries and Winter faeries becoming friends.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
... Conspiracy Theorist, Mab seems to like Disney, at least Frozen...

Maybe Frozen was Disney's peace-offering to Mab.

;D

= = =

Maybe Frozen marked Mab's conquest of Disney.
 :o

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2022, 01:12:02 AM »
 ;D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2022, 02:07:24 AM »
There is certainly a history between Mab and Titania and Disney. Titania’s daughter Aurora’s name was used for Sleeping Beauty, evidence Walt chose Summer over Winter

It’s Maggie who likes Frozen Mab doesn’t understand it, even though Elsa/Molly analogues.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2022, 04:14:30 AM »

Actually the "Blue Fairy" was Mab, her main complaint was she was only allowed to make Pinocchio's
nose grow for lying.. What she really wanted to do was freeze his - - - - - off, :o but she was overruled by Disney, on account of it was a family cartoon.  ::)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2022, 01:26:29 AM »
Mab should just Let It Go.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2022, 03:11:10 PM »
Mab should just Let It Go.

Mab has a mind like an elephant, she never forgets... And to quote Eleanor Roosevelt, [saw it in a movie about her and Franklin, don't know if she really said it, but it's a good quote anyway] upon hearing about Franklin's affairs with other women, " the heart forgives, but the mind never forgets..."