Author Topic: Did I miss something...?  (Read 7109 times)

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
Did I miss something...?
« on: April 18, 2022, 11:56:29 PM »
What in the heck is Harry talking about here?  This is from BG, when Ethniu let loose with the eye on the northside.

"The world gasped and went scarlet again, red light flooding through the haze of war. The air screamed with unnatural power as the Eye of Baylor unleashed raw destruction upon the city, and my heart took a terrified flutter.  I had only once before witnessed destructive power on that order of magnitude, and that had been at the will of the Fallen Angel himself - and even then it had been carefully constrained, user for a purpose."

When did Harry witness the power of Lucifer?  Or am I misreading who he's talking about?  I don't think any of the nickelheads have shown anything like the power of the Eye.

I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did I miss something...?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 12:36:25 AM »
What in the heck is Harry talking about here?  This is from BG, when Ethniu let loose with the eye on the northside.

"The world gasped and went scarlet again, red light flooding through the haze of war. The air screamed with unnatural power as the Eye of Baylor unleashed raw destruction upon the city, and my heart took a terrified flutter.  I had only once before witnessed destructive power on that order of magnitude, and that had been at the will of the Fallen Angel himself - and even then it had been carefully constrained, user for a purpose."

When did Harry witness the power of Lucifer?  Or am I misreading who he's talking about?  I don't think any of the nickelheads have shown anything like the power of the Eye.

In the museum where the Archive is held, he talks about the power running thru the walls to fuel the circle.... says it was far beyond anything he'd ever be able to do, even with Lasciel. Think he calls it Archangel level, and says so again in the chapel after Michael is shot. Also says he can only think of one Archangel that would help the denarians. He doesn't SEE Lucifer, but sees his handiwork. Maybe angelic/demonic power is a little different, when they see Michael's safe room it was identified as Angelic... Raphael, or one of his underlings, maybe?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:04:08 AM »
In the museum where the Archive is held, he talks about the power running thru the walls to fuel the circle.... says it was far beyond anything he'd ever be able to do, even with Lasciel. Think he calls it Archangel level, and says so again in the chapel after Michael is shot. Also says he can only think of one Archangel that would help the denarians. He doesn't SEE Lucifer, but sees his handiwork. Maybe angelic/demonic power is a little different, when they see Michael's safe room it was identified as Angelic... Raphael, or one of his underlings, maybe?

Which underscores the gift that Uriel gave him in that moment, Soul Power. It counters the power that Lucifer can throw around, but at that moment when he suddenly he had it at the aquarium, Harry had no clue of what was happening.  To a large extent he still doesn't understand the gift that he was given. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »
This is why I think Lucifer is ultimately behind the Black Council, with a Denarian who is not Nick, on it. Nick was being used to recruit the Archive, not for the Denarians but for the Black Council.

Lucifer using his power like this has terrific consequences, the reward must be equal to the risk. The Archive is currently aligned with the White God through the Accorded Nations, the Denarians too were part of the Accords at that point, but subsequently left. Lucifers ultimate aim is to replace WG running creation and wants the archive to survive as a bailiwick against the Outsiders, under his wing fighting the oblivion war. The Outsiders want the archive destroyed. Given who the Black Council have targeted I think they want the White Court, White Council and Archive in their camp, the most human of the Accorded Powers

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »

Thorned Namshiel.  He uses it in Small Favor. The specific attribution is given by Jake(Uriel) in the Chapel at the end of Small Favor.
“You gotta think that maybe there’s a matter of balance, here,” he said. “Maybe one archangel invested his strength in this situation overtly and immediately. Maybe another one was just quieter about it. Thinking long-term. Maybe he already gave you a hand.”
In addition this was probably how Thorned Namshiel was able use so much Hellfire at Arctis Tor.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »
An unidentified magic user Denarian used Hellfire at Arctic Tor.

Thorned Namshiel’s archaic accent suggested he didn’t get out much. My theory is there is an unnamed Denarian who has been a double agent against Nick, a mole for Lucifer from day one. We have never seen all thirty. Nick suspects this, and one of the reasons for the two factions and the destruction of records is to hide that there may in fact be a small third faction working with the Black Council and Lucifer. Nick and the others are merely fall guys and distractions. Cowl may  in fact be a rogue Denarian hiding his identity and that of his Fallen.

Namshiel I think was suspected which is why Nick rarely let him out to play, the Archive (being recruited by Lucifer and not really Nick) mean’t Nick had to break out even his suspected mole. He needed everyone and he needed a magical heavy hitter.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 06:13:18 PM »
Mab's reaction to his name in the Chapel pretty much nails it down for me.  But whatever.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »
Mab's reaction to his name in the Chapel pretty much nails it down for me.  But whatever.

I think she believes Namshiel is the mole. I'm not sure she's correct - she can misinterpret things, like Harry's motives toward Molly.

And if Tessa and/or Rosanna are the real Circle mole(s), they may have been expending considerable effort on setting Namshiel up as their fall guy.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
I suspect Nick will at some point realise he has been played for millennia by Lucifer and at least one fellow Fallen as fall guys (pun intended) and misdirection. That may be enough for Nick and Anduriel to return to the White God, and perhaps bring the grail with them. That may have been one of his major past objectives, preventing the world seeing him as impotent.

Remember Mab didn’t know about Marcone and Namshiel, she doesn’t have an intellectus and her perspective is now quite alien making it difficult for her to assess human motivation.

And yes Namshiel may have been set up, learning about Arctis Tor when he had Namshiel in cold storage means he either had more than one mole or he had gotten the wrong Fallen.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »
I suspect Nick will at some point realise he has been played for millennia by Lucifer and at least one fellow Fallen as fall guys (pun intended) and misdirection. That may be enough for Nick and Anduriel to return to the White God, and perhaps bring the grail with them. That may have been one of his major past objectives, preventing the world seeing him as impotent.

I see Nic perhaps giving up the coin because he got what he asked for, the Grail.  Andruiel won't go with him, he will remain one of the Fallen.  And he has fallen pretty low as we saw at the end of Skin Game. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 05:44:32 PM »
The point is Anduriel has been played as well, given makework for two millennia. Either Anduriel has been in on it or is himself a victim of satan.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 06:04:15 PM »
The point is Anduriel has been played as well, given makework for two millennia. Either Anduriel has been in on it or is himself a victim of satan.

Well, you could say that all of the Fallen were victims of Lucifer, they were taken in by his lies, or agreed with them, rebelled and got kicked out of Heaven as a result.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 06:44:44 PM »
I think she believes Namshiel is the mole. I'm not sure she's correct - she can misinterpret things, like Harry's motives toward Molly.

And if Tessa and/or Rosanna are the real Circle mole(s), they may have been expending considerable effort on setting Namshiel up as their fall guy.
Exactly why do you set up a Fallen as a scapegoat? He's already a bad guy. If they are out to fool anyone it isn't Mab. But read it your way, that's the fun of it. :)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 06:59:27 AM »

Or he is Plan B. Could be a distraction, could be a Judas Goat (OK, I had to use that), or could be an alternative to see which works.   

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »
Exactly why do you set up a Fallen as a scapegoat? He's already a bad guy. If they are out to fool anyone it isn't Mab. But read it your way, that's the fun of it. :)

Whilst Nicky and the Denarians are running around noisily trying to bring on the armageddon, what is Lucifer up to? Perhaps he is running his own team of hand picked operatives trying to supplant the White God. We have confirmation of Lucifer impacting upon Dresden twice, he is definitely keeping a light hand because every time he directly intervenes Uriel cock blocks him. The Denarians allow for indirect intervention but they face off against the Knights a stalemate.

If I were Lucifer I would set up a body of mortal or near mortal beings of power able to use their lovely free will to do my bidding without incurring either Uriel or the Knights intervention. What does THAT sound like. Everyone keeps an eye out for Nicky and ignores Cowl altogether.