Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18005 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2022, 04:28:40 PM »
It is rare for an adaption to succeed when they seek to go beyond the original work unless they have the author with them, otherwise they baffle newcomers and enrage old hands.

Marvel have perhaps avoided this with their Disney Plus shows, but they often mix and match from different runs as they have far more source material to adapt then they can actually adapt, and often a superfluity of creators, and a readership familiar with retcons. They can afford to discard some things and ramp up others, and giving a show runner with a definite vision to be able to add there own stamp. Moon Knight is a case in point they merged several different stories into a single narrative, retconned the main identities and appointed a show runner with a strong vision in a way which has satisfied the fan base and new viewers.

Can’t see this myself with Wheel of Time or the new Tolkien series. If there is a Dresden Series Jim needs to be heavily involved and that cuts time from writing. The trade off better be worth it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2022, 11:01:46 PM »
I agree with your last line about a DF show, CT.

I think comics are somewhat more flexible, as we have seen many incarnations of the characters in different situations along the years. On a side note, I enjoyed Moon Knight but I still have some problems with the season finale. That said, I am a fan of Layla and I would gladly watch an spin-off about her. And I love Taweret with all my heart.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2022, 11:34:49 PM »
Did you watch to the end credits sequence?

The Layla/Scarlet Scarab is a case in point, in the comics her father was the Scarlet Scarab, he appeared in the Invaders comics set in WW2, so they gender flipped and gave a previously unused god Tawaret as her patron. No one was unhappy with how that played out. Layla as an amalgam of her father and Marlene, Marc’s love interest, showed herself to be far more than a mere love interest in the earlier episodes. Tawaret was a completely new character who didn’t appear in the comics, (but does in mythology) but whose addition certainly improved the narrative and became an immediate fan favourite.

Not something I think that could be pulled off with the Dresden Files other than bringing in elements from the comics and RPG.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2022, 01:46:26 AM »
Yes, I did watch the scene.
Layla and Taweret for the win  :)

I agree, I do not think they will do something like that with a DF show. I hope any tv show adaptation follows the books as much as possible. Still, what they did with Bob in the show was excellent, and I also liked the hockey stick, so who knows? They may surprise me.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2022, 04:42:12 AM »
Yes, I did watch the scene.
Layla and Taweret for the win  :)

I agree, I do not think they will do something like that with a DF show. I hope any tv show adaptation follows the books as much as possible. Still, what they did with Bob in the show was excellent, and I also liked the hockey stick, so who knows? They may surprise me.

I feel in love with what the show did with Bob, but that had a lot to do with the actor playing him. Since I watched the shows before I read the books, I was actually disappointed when I read how Bob was described.  However my reaction to the hockey stick was opposite from yours, I thought it looked silly.  For a man as tall as Harry Dresden, a staff to aid in walking would not be out of place, but carrying around a hockey stick would in my opinion.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2022, 07:19:35 AM »
What they did with Bob in the show cut quite badly across the books, especially Dead Beat.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2022, 01:41:52 AM »
What they did with Bob in the show cut quite badly across the books, especially Dead Beat.

It wasn't what I'd call a faithful adaptation, sure. But the actor and the writers got the sarcastic essence of the character down right, and changing his origin story from the book version of a spirit into a condemned human ghost wasn't anywhere near the worst thing the tv adaptation did.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2022, 02:03:19 AM »
I feel in love with what the show did with Bob, but that had a lot to do with the actor playing him. Since I watched the shows before I read the books, I was actually disappointed when I read how Bob was described.  However my reaction to the hockey stick was opposite from yours, I thought it looked silly.  For a man as tall as Harry Dresden, a staff to aid in walking would not be out of place, but carrying around a hockey stick would in my opinion.

Yes, I remember we talked about this years ago :)  I found quite normal to see adult people with hockey sticks, as long as they are young. At some point, Harry would look too old, but at the time, I thought it was good.
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2022, 09:39:01 PM »
The Law exists within the Dresdenverse to allow Supernatural creatures to hunt mortals, it is referenced in Welcome To The Jungle and Zoo Day. It may be a coincidence of wording, as this is supposed to be the long heralded showdown between Harry and Marcone, with litigation and explosions but is it? We know so little about the story.

It certainly takes place after Little Things, but it is not clear whether it takes place after The Good People/Christmas Eve. I would hazard afterwards, indeed all the care packages Molly delivered from the Wizard of Chicago may be what sets Marcone off. No good deed goes unpunished, and Molly did thousands of good deeds in Harry’s name.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2022, 09:43:09 PM »
Yes, I remember we talked about this years ago :)  I found quite normal to see adult people with hockey sticks, as long as they are young. At some point, Harry would look too old, but at the time, I thought it was good.

Yeah, I remember, since then my son has moved to Chicago, I finally was able to spend Christmas and some time with them.  Anyway, hockey is a big thing in Chicago, lots of small neighborhood outdoor ice rinks and hockey leagues advertised at all of them.  My six year old grand daughter caught the ice skating bug for a bit.  Anyway as a result we visited a couple of these small rinks, but never did I see one kid, let alone adult walking around with a hockey stick.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2022, 12:56:10 AM »
Also, it's a bit of a recurrent element that Dresden uses McCoy's staff-pattern, and a tree from his farm.

I wouldn't wonder if there's some setup there, where McCoy is following something Blackstaff-influenced, and that Harry's own staff habits are (in some ways) pre-conditioning him to wield the Blackstaff itself...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2022, 03:59:24 AM »
The exception is Harry’s current staff, made from an Oak branch from a Demonreach Tree.

Given Harry’s intellectus he would have been able to select the perfect branch physically and magically.

Still to the McCoy pattern though.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2022, 11:09:25 AM »
Yeah, I remember, since then my son has moved to Chicago, I finally was able to spend Christmas and some time with them.  Anyway, hockey is a big thing in Chicago, lots of small neighborhood outdoor ice rinks and hockey leagues advertised at all of them.  My six year old grand daughter caught the ice skating bug for a bit.  Anyway as a result we visited a couple of these small rinks, but never did I see one kid, let alone adult walking around with a hockey stick.
I heard you, you are not the first to tell me that. It surprises me because hockey is not too much of a big deal here (I mean, there are a lot of people practicing Hockey, it is just not something people plays everywhere) and still is common to see teenagers (especially girls) carrying hockey sticks in the bus and, not so common but not weird, a few adults too. Harry would have passed for a hockey teacher or player without any problems, at least in his first years.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2022, 04:59:51 PM »
I heard you, you are not the first to tell me that. It surprises me because hockey is not too much of a big deal here (I mean, there are a lot of people practicing Hockey, it is just not something people plays everywhere) and still is common to see teenagers (especially girls) carrying hockey sticks in the bus and, not so common but not weird, a few adults too. Harry would have passed for a hockey teacher or player without any problems, at least in his first years.

I don't think there are many hockey players that are nearly seven feet tall with their skates on.  So that in of itself would make him seem odd. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2022, 06:52:11 PM »
That is true, I never thought of that because the actor of the show is not so tall.
Anyways, I am sure an eventual reboot won't have Harry carrying a hockey stick. I think they are going with a magical solution where Harry's staff can magically shrink to appear as a normal walking cane or even more, to something that can be hidden in normal clothes.
Missing you, Md