Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18052 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2022, 10:55:45 PM »
I could care less about Bezos or Musk or any other Robber Baron. I'm not income restrained and I've had Audible for years. It will come out sooner or later on the library lending service either alone or in some type of bundle. I also suspect it will sooner or later end up on Kindle and as a paper book. But he made me wait six years for a new book and then he gave me a sub par performance, IMO. Now Butcher needs to earn my trust to entice me to spend my dollars on him.

Having said all that it does make me wonder if something is going on in the background.

You and me both, he also split a book into two that didn't benefit from being split into two.. And if you add up the cost of the two books it came out to more than what one bigger book would have cost.   I know there are really good reasons for some who want the audible book. That is their choice and maybe their only choice.  However it isn't mine nor apparently Dina's choice, we are fans just like the rest of you, so why should we be forced to buy a format that we don't want if we want to enjoy a Dresden story along with the rest of you? If Jim or his publishers are playing games with us I wish they would stop.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2022, 01:04:24 AM »
You and me both, he also split a book into two that didn't benefit from being split into two.. And if you add up the cost of the two books it came out to more than what one bigger book would have cost.   I know there are really good reasons for some who want the audible book. That is their choice and maybe their only choice.  However it isn't mine nor apparently Dina's choice, we are fans just like the rest of you, so why should we be forced to buy a format that we don't want if we want to enjoy a Dresden story along with the rest of you? If Jim or his publishers are playing games with us I wish they would stop.
Agreed even though I am interested in audio books.

I've been looking for some information about a readable version, and I found something on Twitter. One of the answers to Jim's post: someone asks if it will be audio book only and there is an answer from podium audio:
Podium Audio
@PodiumAudio
·
28. Apr.
It will be available in both audiobook and ebook formats

But so far I have found nothing, not even on subterranean press.

So there will be a ebook version someday, but no idea when.

And I think there might be a print version in an anthology containing all the microfiction on the website someday.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2022, 11:06:30 AM »
And I think there might be a print version in an anthology containing all the microfiction on the website someday.

Which screams that it is some kind of marketing ploy, I think Jim needs to get a new agent.  I don't think he is served by these marketing ploys in the long run.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2022, 12:44:24 PM »
Which screams that it is some kind of marketing ploy, I think Jim needs to get a new agent.  I don't think he is served by these marketing ploys in the long run.
I just got the idea: remember, he gave away all those microfictions in 2020 for free. Could be he was reminded to produce something fast that could be sold.

And I am thinking of "Christmas Eve", the story that was finally published in the last pages of "Battle Ground".

So yes, it totally is a marketing ploy, but I don't think you'll miss out on the story, because I believe it might be in one of the new books, either Cinder Spires or Dresden Files or a collection including all the microfictions of 2020 and "Little Things".
I definitely won't buy from US audible, but I will wait if it comes to audible.de someday.
I am sure the story will be available to everyone in their preferred format someday.
It is just sad, that we won't be able to discuss it here at the same time until then.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2022, 03:01:18 PM »
I just got the idea: remember, he gave away all those microfictions in 2020 for free. Could be he was reminded to produce something fast that could be sold.

And I am thinking of "Christmas Eve", the story that was finally published in the last pages of "Battle Ground".

So yes, it totally is a marketing ploy, but I don't think you'll miss out on the story, because I believe it might be in one of the new books, either Cinder Spires or Dresden Files or a collection including all the microfictions of 2020 and "Little Things".
I definitely won't buy from US audible, but I will wait if it comes to audible.de someday.
I am sure the story will be available to everyone in their preferred format someday.
It is just sad, that we won't be able to discuss it here at the same time until then.

The question becomes, why?  One is simple greed, the other is financial problems, either one is sad for him and us.. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
On a business level I don't care why Butcher does what he does. I don't really know him.  I know his work.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »
I am going to go with the positive: maybe it is because there are negotiatings for a high quality series on Amazon prime (if that is the name of their streaming service). And this is part of those negotiations. I have not followed the news about the lord of the rings series, but it sounds like they take it serious.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2022, 09:11:07 PM »
I am going to go with the positive: maybe it is because there are negotiatings for a high quality series on Amazon prime (if that is the name of their streaming service). And this is part of those negotiations. I have not followed the news about the lord of the rings series, but it sounds like they take it serious.

Something like the Jack Reacher series which did everything right that the Dresden sci fi series did wrong in an adaption. But yes, marketing across Prime and Audible does make sense in that context. Content is key these days, and there are a lot of Dresden files to adapt, and Prime doesn’t have much in the urban fantasy genre at the moment.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2022, 01:18:10 PM »
The question becomes, why?  One is simple greed, the other is financial problems, either one is sad for him and us..
Someone asked him to write a story and he did. We get it sooner or later
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2022, 02:05:21 PM »
Someone asked him to write a story and he did. We get it sooner or later

You and I both know it isn't that simple.  Nor do I think it has anything to do with creating a new series on Prime. That doesn't make any sense at all if anything Amazon would want to broaden the viewership as much as possible.  That isn't done by putting a Dresden Story on just one format, nor is there any proof that there are more audio users using Prime to stream than non audio users.  I think the answer is in the first line of the advertisement for the story, oh this is free, then after a month for fourteen dollars or so a month you can get more audio books.  Cancel anytime helps but this is what this is about.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2022, 06:15:00 PM »
  You and I both know it isn't that simple.  Nor do I think it has anything to do with creating a new series on Prime. That doesn't make any sense at all if anything Amazon would want to broaden the viewership as much as possible.  That isn't done by putting a Dresden Story on just one format, nor is there any proof that there are more audio users using Prime to stream than non audio users.  I think the answer is in the first line of the advertisement for the story, oh this is free, then after a month for fourteen dollars or so a month you can get more audio books.  Cancel anytime helps but this is what this is about.
Amazon has all kinds of plans with that story and other stories. Jim just sold a story. After some time Amazon loses the exclusive rights and then we can read it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2022, 07:46:29 PM »
Ok, I did not want to spark such a controversy. I was just worried I would not have the chance to read the book.
I personally do not like audiobooks too much, but my problem in this case is simply. While I can read acceptable well (obviously) I have problems understanding oral English. Many years ago, when I buy my first kindle, I used the audible free sample for Storm Front, a book that I knew almost by heart as the time, as before Ghost Story I've reread the entire series everytime a new one was released. Well, I needed to give the audiobook my whole attention to been able to barely understand what was going on. It was exhausting. I am a little more familiar with oral English now, but even so, it is difficult for me.
Of course, I think audiobooks are great, providing a chance to visually impaired people to enjoy books, and also lots of people like to listen to them while doing other things. As Mira says, that does not work for me (even in my own language, and definitely not in English).
But Regen's post made me happy. Perhaps I will have it, and I would not to need to wait so much (but if it is included in a short story book it will be fine). It could be refreshing to read Toot-Toot POV  :)

Meanwhile, do you have any update in "the Olympian affair" status?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2022, 01:39:32 PM »
Of course, I think audiobooks are great, providing a chance to visually impaired people to enjoy books, and also lots of people like to listen to them while doing other things. As Mira says, that does not work for me (even in my own language, and definitely not in English).
But Regen's post made me happy. Perhaps I will have it, and I would not to need to wait so much (but if it is included in a short story book it will be fine). It could be refreshing to read Toot-Toot POV  :)

Then again it makes some of us buy stories twice..

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
Yes I really want to hear Marsters in Toots voice say “Mab’s frozen Boogers” when Little Things is collected.

As I suspect does Jim.

Not sure why Jim is doing the audio on The Law, after Ghost Story you would have think they would have learnt better.

Offline Mr. Mouse

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2022, 02:43:10 PM »
Yes I really want to hear Marsters in Toots voice say “Mab’s frozen Boogers” when Little Things is collected.

As I suspect does Jim.

My reading of the title details for the audio version of Heroic Hearts on Amazon is that each story has its own narrator with Marsters doing "Little Things."