Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18427 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Law and novella
« on: April 16, 2022, 12:12:09 PM »
The Law.  Evidently we have half a story (17.5) before Twelve months and only on Audible.

Offline Mr. Mouse

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 03:33:58 PM »
I pre-ordered immediately in an attempt to provide positive reinforcement for the idea of more Dresden.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 04:11:57 PM »
I do not like that at all. If someone writes a story it should be widely available for a reasonable price not something for a subscription I do not want. Hopefully it will be available via normal channels later.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 04:39:46 PM »
I do not like that at all. If someone writes a story it should be widely available for a reasonable price not something for a subscription I do not want. Hopefully it will be available via normal channels later.
It may also be available in print, reddit wasn't clear.  I won't be buying in either case.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
It’s Bigfoot all over again.

However it is being read by Jim himself. I wonder if this falls outside his normal publication agreement and consequently his divorce settlement? It may be a way of making quick money for himself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 08:18:24 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 08:37:59 PM »
Amen

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 07:11:46 AM »
It's 2 hours 46 minutes, and Jim reads it himself.... no Marsters.

but if it is like Bigfoot - that WAS eventually printed...  in Brief Cases ? I don't mind if he gives them a head start and some exclusive time, if he does release print at a later date.   Remember he had a smaller house print Backup first, then it was rolled into Side Jobs. Jim's been good about eventually getting his work out to us without having to buy other people's fiction too, if we choose not to. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
It does mean the next short story collection is almost done, this is the big lead novella, we have Christmas Eve and the Heroic hearts story unpublished, plus the microfictions.

Call it Cold Cuts please.

THIS may be why the novella, he wants a short story collection out next year. Jim may have other short story commitments in the pipeline as well, and the novella rounds it out.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:56:27 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 11:10:11 AM »

My question is the new collection, new stories aside from this one or just a reprint collection of the ones he has already written and published in the collections with other authors? 

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 03:23:59 PM »
Does anyone know the plot or when The Law takes place in the timeline?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »
After Battle Ground.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 08:08:14 PM »
After Battle Ground.

Might go to the library though to get it since I have all the other short stories in the anthologies that he was a part of the last few yearsl

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 09:15:44 PM »
Jim is pretty much up to date on his shorts with Brief Cases. Only The Good People, the microfictions and his Toot story haven’t been published that are known to exist. We didn’t know about The Law until a few days ago. For all we know Jim’s been spelling chapters of the Olympian Affair with the novella and new short stories and we are going to get a book of 80% new material the same time as the Olympian Affair.

How about RANDOM SHORTS (A nice hark back to GRAVE PERIL) as a title if COLD CUTS doesn’t appeal. If it was several stories about everyone’s favourite Sprite wooing Lacuna I would go for TOOT’S SUITE.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 09:23:35 PM »
Personally I am really happy to get anything substantial from Butcher and is willing to pay what it takes to get it.

But I think audible offers the first credit for free, so maybe that means anyone can get this one for free if they are willing to make an account?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »

So far it looks like it is an audible book only, the only reason it is free is Amazon wants you to join
their audio book club for fourteen dollars or so a month. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:30:01 AM by Mira »