Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18012 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2022, 03:01:25 PM »
In Proven Guilty the White God intervened by having Michael turn up saving baby wardens and Senior Council.

It required the Intervention of the most powerful being in the freaking multiverse to pull Harry’s political fat out of the fire on that occasion. In Turn Coat it required merely a Mist Fiend.

It’s like when Carlos in Peace Talks has to dissuade Harry that he was NOT suited for a diplomatic role. “Oh God, Harry No!”

Harry may be taking on his greatest foe to date, his own smart mouth. If he is to be the Wizard of Chicago he needs to make it a thing to political and civil authorities of Chicago, he needs to impress them with his non-wizard skills as well as those as a wizard. Dear god, he may have to show them that he is smarter than he looks, he can hold his smart mouth, that he can respect figures of authority in their own spheres of influence, that he can be diplomatic, and most of all that he isn’t going to set the building on fire. Or blow it up. Or given his recent interest in Carlos technique, disintegrate it as a change of pace.

Harry is going to have to deal with the Mayor, the Chief of Police (“Harry Dresden, why do I know that name?”) the Fire Chief (“Harry Dresden, why do I know that name?”) etc and carry that past baggage with him. The Feds will also be interested, so he has to dance to their tune as well, and smile while he is doing it.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2022, 10:48:29 PM »

Harry may be taking on his greatest foe to date, his own smart mouth. If he is to be the Wizard of Chicago he needs to make it a thing to political and civil authorities of Chicago, he needs to impress them with his non-wizard skills as well as those as a wizard. Dear god, he may have to show them that he is smarter than he looks, he can hold his smart mouth, that he can respect figures of authority in their own spheres of influence, that he can be diplomatic, and most of all that he isn’t going to set the building on fire.

He can have his new sweet wife-to-be deal with them, and take notes on it....

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2022, 04:34:28 AM »
Ah but Jim loves tormenting Harry, so Harry having to do the “political thing” whilst his inner monologue would just prefer a nice “Fuego” to resolve the situation is what we are likely to see.

Harry may have problems adapting some of Lara’s ‘techniques’ to his own use, and will have to figure out something which works for him.

For a start though he is going to have to sharpen up his image, and there Lara might be of some use, decent tailoring, haircut and personal grooming. Harry has worn some ridiculous things over the years, he is going to require clothing for meetings for the school, city officials etc, basically a wardrobe rather than just jeans, sneakers and humerous black tee shirts. ID Harry had the idea. I would go with a white shirt with proper double cuffs,  black waistcoat (with mechanical pocket watch) , black trousers and black shoes, no tie but the amulet for more formal wear. Leather versions of the trousers and waistcoat Spell enhanced for battle, as The Duster allowed far too much damage to get past it in Battle Ground, swapping out for black jeans and White Tee for more casual wear. As always the  duster over  everything. Otherwise Mab, Lea and Molly will dress him like a Ken Doll.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2022, 07:55:15 PM »
In Proven Guilty the White God intervened by having Michael turn up saving baby wardens and Senior Council ...
That was just Harry taking a leap of faith (specifically, taking Michael's leap of faith, by proxy...)
 ;D

... the Chief of Police (“Harry Dresden, why do I know that name?”) the Fire Chief (“Harry Dresden, why do I know that name?”) ...
<heh>
<heh-heh>
I expect that -- even with an image-upgrade by Lara -- Jim would write at least some of this to run Harry through the wringer!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2022, 08:24:52 PM »
I forgot the Chief Building Inspector (‘Harry Dresden, why do I know that name”) the Head Librarian (“Hello Harry, you have three books overdue, and we aren’t accepting the excuse that you were dead for six months, and then marooned on an spooky island for 18 months, pay up or replace them. They were burnt in a fire weren’t they?)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 12:42:11 AM »
I forgot the Chief Building Inspector (‘Harry Dresden, why do I know that name”) ...
;D
Jim could launch a whole new line of Harry-Torment, as various city, county, & state officials (maybe even some fed!) begin a conversation with "Harry Dresden, why do I know that name..."

Harry grits his teeth, and counts to one hundred
by prime numbers
in Latin (because guilt & self-flagellation, thy name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 06:59:38 AM »
Pratchett did this with Vimes, I can easily see Jim doing this with Harry.

If you are going to borrow, borrow from the greats, it shows good taste.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 11:38:44 PM »
Ok, I am worried.
I don't understand audiobooks too well. I hope this is going to be eventually published some way I can read.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2022, 02:24:48 AM »
I would guess yes after a period of exclusivity.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2022, 04:44:55 AM »
It will be published either as part of a Story Collection, or I am wondering as part of a fix up novel maybe the already announced Twelve Months? With Christmas Eve plus other new material. The Big Foot Stories were re-published as Part of Brief Cases, bulking up that collection and enabling Jim to use River Shoulders in Peace Talks and Battle Ground.

Fix ups are where connected stories were published in the likes of Analogue or Fantasy and Science Fiction and then republished with new connective material in book form. Foundation and Voyage of the Space Beagle are examples of Fix up novels.

If so I doubt The Good People and Little Things would be part of a fix up novel as they are not Harry’s point of view, and they will be republished in the next short story collection, hopefully called COLD CUTS if they involve Harry as Winter Knight.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »
Ok, I am worried.
I don't understand audiobooks too well. I hope this is going to be eventually published some way I can read.
Yeah, the "exclusive" part pisses me off a wee bit..  I don't buy them, have no desire to, I prefer to and have the time to read my books.  This is a strict marketing ploy designed to "hook" more customers for Amazon, and apparently Jim is going along with it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2022, 12:04:38 PM »
It means you can’t buy it from the Apple Store or other audio book market places, so definitely an Amazon marketing ploy. When published in hard copy format Amazon have no hope of keeping it exclusive to them. They hope you will buy the rest of the series on audible, get audible pay money to Amazon.

Obviously Jeff Bezos is Black Council in the Dresdenverse.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »
It means you can’t buy it from the Apple Store or other audio book market places, so definitely an Amazon marketing ploy. When published in hard copy format Amazon have no hope of keeping it exclusive to them. They hope you will buy the rest of the series on audible, get audible pay money to Amazon.

Obviously Jeff Bezos is Black Council in the Dresdenverse.

Amen, though I buy a lot of crap from Amazon and enrich Mr Bezos, I am not going to switch to audible books just for him, nor for Jim as far as that goes.  Still love the Dresden Files but I am not going to buy a format that doesn't fit me. I understand that others like audible books for a number of reasons and I respect that and see nothing wrong with them.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2022, 02:35:50 PM »
I got Audible when I had significant vision impairment for several months. The first thing I bought was the Bigfoot Stories, they weren’t published in text until 2 years later.

It’s like Zoom and Facetime they are both good enough for the deaf to lip read or sign on, so having a mobile phone for the deaf has made their life so much easier, rather than be a distasteful joke.

So to the extent it is giving a bonus to the visually impaired community then I do not regret pre-ordering on Audible. It’s just that the evil ferromancer Bezo’s doesn’t need my money.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »
I could care less about Bezos or Musk or any other Robber Baron. I'm not income restrained and I've had Audible for years. It will come out sooner or later on the library lending service either alone or in some type of bundle. I also suspect it will sooner or later end up on Kindle and as a paper book. But he made me wait six years for a new book and then he gave me a sub par performance, IMO. Now Butcher needs to earn my trust to entice me to spend my dollars on him.

Having said all that it does make me wonder if something is going on in the background.