Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18228 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 12:37:00 PM »
Maybe Amazon requested it from Jim as part of an adaption package? To sweeten the deal on a full blown Reacher style adaption of the Dresden Files?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
Maybe Amazon requested it from Jim as part of an adaption package? To sweeten the deal on a full blown Reacher style adaption of the Dresden Files?
Or it is a "hook," to get you to join though supposedly you can quit at any time.  They have something like it for Kindle, I have a friend who belongs to that.  I have a Kindle, and it has it's uses, but I prefer reading the old fashioned way, turning the pages of a book.  So it may be an attempt to get their sales up, and with all his personal problems the royalties might give Jim a financial boost.  What I don't understand, and I know nothing about audio books is it says it is two hours long..  I wonder how that translates into pages?  And will we ever see it in old fashioned book form?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 07:59:33 PM »
It seems to me Jim is very good about getting all his anthologized work into his own exclusive anthologies. So I would have to assume this could be the main piece in the next one, but that it will be available in print at a future date. I don't think he is close to having enough for another volume, though.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 10:25:41 PM »
Or it is a "hook," to get you to join though supposedly you can quit at any time.  They have something like it for Kindle, I have a friend who belongs to that.  I have a Kindle, and it has it's uses, but I prefer reading the old fashioned way, turning the pages of a book.  So it may be an attempt to get their sales up, and with all his personal problems the royalties might give Jim a financial boost.  What I don't understand, and I know nothing about audio books is it says it is two hours long..  I wonder how that translates into pages?  And will we ever see it in old fashioned book form?
To give you a rough idea Peace Talks is close to 13 hours long. I'm a long time subscriber but no credits for Butcher going forward. If it's any good it will be one Libby either as a ebook or as a audiobook. As an aside if you like audio books Audible isn't a bad deal.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 04:13:09 PM »
So, anybody got it and has a summary?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2022, 10:20:46 PM »
So, anybody got it and has a summary?

I doubt it.  From Audible's website (linked in the OP):
Releases July 05, 2022

Summary:
a forthcoming novella that thrusts Chicago’s only professional Wizard, Harry Dresden, back into battle–both a legal one…and the kind with explosions.

I speculate that the Larry Fowler lawsuit is finally coming to a head... of some sort.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 11:26:44 PM »
I doubt it.  From Audible's website (linked in the OP).

Ah, I overlooked the release date. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 11:49:41 PM »
I speculate that the Larry Fowler lawsuit is finally coming to a head... of some sort.

Or Rudolph is trying to get him on attempted murder or some such..

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 12:19:23 AM »
Or Rudolph is trying to get him on attempted murder or some such..

Or Harry is trying to get Rudolph for murder, but it is difficult:

1. There is only one witness: Harry himself.

2. Rudolph was hurt by Harry's attack.

3. Rudolph has damn good lawyers (OK, Harry might get help from Lara here).

4. Murder? What murder? There is no body!

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2022, 01:06:55 AM »
4. Murder? What murder? There is no body!

This is an excellent point... I don't think Murphy's murder is going to the (mundane) courts.  I bet there were a substantial number of Missing Persons -- including law-enforcement -- from the Battle of Chicago.

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 03:18:22 AM »
Jim's talked about this in a Q&A last year. It's about Harry getting back to doing PI work after Battle Ground, sort of getting back on his feet. Marcone will be involved. Check out the link for the exact words.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g6EbjOFxKY&t=17m55s

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 06:12:45 AM »
It’s going to be Harry getting his PI Licence back and negotiating the post Battle Ground Chicago. It could easily be the civil authorities such as the Mayor directly hiring Harry to investigate something significant arising out of the aftermath of the battle where he butts heads with Marcone. Harry has the full force of THE LAW behind him for the first time ever? Harry no longer operating on the fringes? Harry having to be a small p politician without Murphy to intervene on his behalf? Harry having to level up his people skills?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2022, 07:57:58 AM »
Jim's talked about this in a Q&A last year. It's about Harry getting back to doing PI work after Battle Ground, sort of getting back on his feet. Marcone will be involved. Check out the link for the exact words.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g6EbjOFxKY&t=17m55s
Thank you. I began to doubt it was real, because there was no information other than amazon.com.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
It’s going to be Harry getting his PI Licence back and negotiating the post Battle Ground Chicago. It could easily be the civil authorities such as the Mayor directly hiring Harry to investigate something significant arising out of the aftermath of the battle where he butts heads with Marcone. Harry has the full force of THE LAW behind him for the first time ever? Harry no longer operating on the fringes? Harry having to be a small p politician without Murphy to intervene on his behalf? Harry having to level up his people skills?

Harry has proven to have good political skills in the past, but it was with wizards and it did make him enemies.  Remember Proven Guilty, Molly is alive because Harry proved to be as good as, and in some ways better than the Merlin on her behalf.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »
Keeping Harry alive in Proven Guilty required a whole team working together.  Left to his own devices Harry would have become the poster boy for the headless horseman.