Author Topic: The Law and novella  (Read 18606 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Law and novella
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2022, 02:55:15 AM »
A look at some artwork and a synopsis for The Law at Subterranean Press press.  The price made my eyes water.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/91ead2c5-f838-4aa5-9384-01fd8e2614d4

2000 copies of a novella (so, shorter than any prior Dresden novel), at $45 each.

And 26 collectors-editions at $300 per.

And the website states "Ours is the only print edition currently planned."

I don't think Jim Butcher has previously done anything that felt quite so much like a massive "F^@K YOU" to his millions of fans.

Maybe he's "planning to plan" to republish later, in another venue/format...  Though that'd be a really mealy-mouthed & weasel-worded thing to do, I for one would appreciate it!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »
Yup..  And it did start a while back, breaking the last novel into two books wasn't saving us any money, as claimed, the math didn't add up. Is it just me or is someone, either the author or the publisher, or both, suffering from under some kind of delusion of grandeur and popularity?  I mean we love Dresden Files and Jim, we've also been starved from lack of printed material about our favorite character.. But really? Last I heard Jim wasn't nominated for the Nobel Prize for Literature.  ::) In this economic climate they want to charge us $45.00 for a novella?  ??? $300.00 for a collector's signed edition? :o Honestly what makes it so collectable? ??? Does the author provide some of his DNA? For that price we should at least get a free beer with it@##$$!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:45:44 PM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »
I assume it will end up in a new collection of short stories sooner or later but it is frustrating to know that it is there but you can not realistically get it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2022, 07:02:44 AM »
... breaking the last novel into two books wasn't saving us any money, as claimed, the math didn't add up ...

I understood that rationalle to be something different.  Not an "absolute $ outlay" issue, but that Jim didn't want to be the first "genre fiction" author to put out a novel at the above-$50 pricepoint.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »
I understood that rationalle to be something different.  Not an "absolute $ outlay" issue, but that Jim didn't want to be the first "genre fiction" author to put out a novel at the above-$50 pricepoint.

Yet I doubt that it would have been more than fifty dollars, or even fifty dollars.   At least not because of the length of the book, "The Order the Phoenix" is eight hundred and fifty pages and sells for $30.00, it did when it came out and it still does new, I just checked.  Inflation hadn't hit when "Peace Talks" and "Battle Ground" came out, and the two together might be close to eight hundred and fifty pages, so one big book shouldn't have cost fifty or over fifty dollars.  Now the author does get a significantly higher royalty for a thirty dollar book, and I guess you can double the profit if you can sell two thirty dollar books.  That seems to be more of a factor, than wanting to keep the price of a book down for us.  Also the way the two books read, one longer book would have been better reading.  So it doesn't make any sense, especially the bit about not being the first popular author to demand fifty dollars for his work.. That sounds like fiction to me, especially in the light of the original information you gave us about the new novella.  Sounds a lot more like someone is peeing up our backs and calling it rain, because they want to maximize profit while still seeming to be on our side...  With the latest information about how they are marketing the new novella, it looks like they have dropped that pretense and are now going for "special and exclusive signed and limited copies."  Usually those kinds of offers to readers are given after copies are sold through normal means at "normal" prices.  If the demand is high, then the publisher and author go for the "special and exclusive" limited and signed copies for the rabid fan to buy.  Apparently now they are just going for the higher prices..
I don't think Jim Butcher has previously done anything that felt quite so much like a massive "F^@K YOU" to his millions of fans.

Maybe he's "planning to plan" to republish later, in another venue/format...  Though that'd be a really mealy-mouthed & weasel-worded thing to do, I for one would appreciate it!

Actually he has, when he published the last two novels the way he did, you may not want to believe that, but that's where the evidence is heading.. I can accept that like everyone he wants to make money and perhaps needs it, but I wish he or his publishing company wouldn't B.S. us about it. >:(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:00:17 PM by Mira »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
With the increased delay between Dresden Files books, I find myself less of a fan than I was before.  A main novel needs to come out at reasonable price for me to get interested in the series again.  I've moved on to the litrpg genre.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2022, 03:53:42 PM »
In a recent podcast Jim is trying to get back up to 2 books a year, we have The Law definitely this year in July, and in the April Podcast he said that he had nearly finished the Olympian Affair, so hopefully September/December. One and a half books in 2022 (hopefully) and at least one short story.

He isn’t travelling or going to Cons much this year except probably Dragoncon, so less distractions, but his son is publishing his first novel in Hardback on October 11, don’t know whether he would want the Olympian Affair to get in the way of that with a publication around that date, or whether they go for a bit of synergy, but the Olympian Affair isn’t up for pre-order yet whereas Dead Mans Hand is and has been for a couple of months.

Of course Jim has a second divorce to pay for,  so ramping up the workload may be a necessity, and probably explains why nothing came out in 2021.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2022, 05:06:56 PM »
Of course Jim has a second divorce to pay for,  so ramping up the workload may be a necessity, and probably explains why nothing came out in 2021.

It could explain the song and dance as far as prices go.. Divorces can be expensive. Hopefully we will seeing new Dresden books sooner.. But as Raidem said, he has already hurt himself by the long time lag between books, the price song and dance with the last two novels and now the novella isn't going to heal any wounds.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2022, 08:43:21 PM »
He seems to be shut in the house with just a laptop, Brutus and Fenris. I would say Brutus and Fenris are too much of a distraction but bizarrely they appear to have become the real life Mouse and Mister, so thats okay.

Jim really needs to get the Olympian Affair out this Fall, then Twelve Months/Next Book in Spring 2023 and either Cinder Spires 3 or Maggie and Mouse 1 Fall 2023, and then new short story collection including The Law out Spring 2024 and Mirror Mirror out  Fall 2024 then he might win back the fans. Three solid years of two books at least 3 of which are Dresdenverse. Plus short stories. Goodman Grey I think works better for short stories, to build towards a collection and would work having different supporting characters in the Dresdenverse hiring him for different things they don’t want to bring to Harry, or when he is busy, or are not Harry’s thing, or is against Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2022, 11:05:08 AM »
He seems to be shut in the house with just a laptop, Brutus and Fenris. I would say Brutus and Fenris are too much of a distraction but bizarrely they appear to have become the real life Mouse and Mister, so thats okay.

Jim really needs to get the Olympian Affair out this Fall, then Twelve Months/Next Book in Spring 2023 and either Cinder Spires 3 or Maggie and Mouse 1 Fall 2023, and then new short story collection including The Law out Spring 2024 and Mirror Mirror out  Fall 2024 then he might win back the fans. Three solid years of two books at least 3 of which are Dresdenverse. Plus short stories. Goodman Grey I think works better for short stories, to build towards a collection and would work having different supporting characters in the Dresdenverse hiring him for different things they don’t want to bring to Harry, or when he is busy, or are not Harry’s thing, or is against Harry.

All well and good, but milking his fans for every penny he can get isn't the way to go.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2022, 02:56:04 AM »
All well and good, but milking his fans for every penny he can get isn't the way to go.

I think you need to revisit your assumption about Jim's motivations:  the money doesn't add up the way you think it does.

The Law:
26 * $300 = $7,800
2000 * $45 = $90,000
So, just shy of $100K in toto (these are limited print-runs; there's no more blood in that turnip until The Law gets re-released in another format).

Skin Game sold 50K copies in the first week (per a reddit thread, dunno the source of the number, but seems viable).
50,000 * $28 = $1,400,000 in one week.  So more than a tenfold-larger insta-sales... with ongoing sales thereafter (not available to The Law, as noted above) probably doubling that over the course of a few months, amd dribbling off after that.

In both cases, of course, we don't know Jim's share of the price; but since Subterranean Press' collectors'-edition is gonna include color plates, and is a small print-run, I presume their manufacturing costs-per-book are MUCH higher than a mass-market mainstream book.

I'm pretty sure sure Jim is getting less money this way (or at least, getting the money slower).

###

My own WAG -- a realworld WAG vs a Dresdenverse WAG -- is that the issue isn't "revenue" but contracts & "exclusive rights..."  I theorize that Jim has negotiated the end of Subterranean's "exclusive" rights to this novella, so they match closely with the end of a bunch of other anthologized shorts.  So it'll all be available around the same time, for him to produce a new Dresden collection.

But the story is written & available, and big enough to be its own thing; so he releases it in a "deluxe" collectors' edition, and the well-heeled megafans can get their hardcore itch scratched, and Jim gets a bit of revenue, pending the rest of his collection exiting their excusive-first-rights periods.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2022, 04:31:21 AM »
I think you need to revisit your assumption about Jim's motivations:  the money doesn't add up the way you think it does.

The Law:
26 * $300 = $7,800
2000 * $45 = $90,000
So, just shy of $100K in toto (these are limited print-runs; there's no more blood in that turnip until The Law gets re-released in another format).

Skin Game sold 50K copies in the first week (per a reddit thread, dunno the source of the number, but seems viable).
50,000 * $28 = $1,400,000 in one week.  So more than a tenfold-larger insta-sales... with ongoing sales thereafter (not available to The Law, as noted above) probably doubling that over the course of a few months, amd dribbling off after that.

In both cases, of course, we don't know Jim's share of the price; but since Subterranean Press' collectors'-edition is gonna include color plates, and is a small print-run, I presume their manufacturing costs-per-book are MUCH higher than a mass-market mainstream book.

I'm pretty sure sure Jim is getting less money this way (or at least, getting the money slower).

###

My own WAG -- a realworld WAG vs a Dresdenverse WAG -- is that the issue isn't "revenue" but contracts & "exclusive rights..."  I theorize that Jim has negotiated the end of Subterranean's "exclusive" rights to this novella, so they match closely with the end of a bunch of other anthologized shorts.  So it'll all be available around the same time, for him to produce a new Dresden collection.

But the story is written & available, and big enough to be its own thing; so he releases it in a "deluxe" collectors' edition, and the well-heeled megafans can get their hardcore itch scratched, and Jim gets a bit of revenue, pending the rest of his collection exiting their excusive-first-rights periods.

Then it makes even less sense...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:35:53 AM by Mira »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:14 AM »
Then it makes even less sense...
See my "realworld WAG" at the end of my post.
It's about contractual timings, and the next Dresden-shorts-collection.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2022, 10:36:56 AM »
See my "realworld WAG" at the end of my post.
It's about contractual timings, and the next Dresden-shorts-collection.

Jim has something to do with those contracts, they do not happen in a void.. 

Online Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
Your calculations don't take into account either the profit margin, or the turnover rate.
the signed-lettered-hardcover are much more profitable than paperback. They also take a long time to turn in revenue. The limited edition thing is a significant amount of cash in more or less 3 days.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير