Author Topic: Adaptation Do's and Don'ts  (Read 12402 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Adaptation Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2022, 03:46:16 PM »
We have no reason to assume it IS spread equally ...

The two assumptions are not equivalent.

But perhaps we should drop this tangent, as it's trending in kinda-ugly real-world directions that I believe are explicitly against the forum rules.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »
I just want something as slick as Moonknight or Kenobi, but a bit less sweary than The Boys.

Six episodes, six episodes, eight episodes (Kenobi is an adaption of several games, books, comics and cartoons so I count it). None stick to their source material but the final version works well.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2022, 11:46:17 PM »
... None stick to their source material but the final version works well.

Honestly, I get pretty hardcore-meh about a new DF adaptation onto the screen, as soon as I envision it not being relatively faithful to the printed "canon."

The stuff we learn from novel to novel, the gradual increase in scope and scale and risk and stakes... all of this is part of what I enjoy in the Dresdenverse.

Something I don't need maintained:  each novel covers a very short time, typically a few days, with a year of downtime between.  Instead, I would envision the various books' plotlines being a bit more intertwined, so by the time "plotline A" is mostly resolved, we're launched into "plotline B," with some forshadowing & hints forward to C & D & even later.  Add in the shorts, the graphic novels -- maybe even some of the microfictions! -- to round things out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:16:27 PM by g33k »

Offline Lehane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2022, 09:29:12 PM »
The show writers, directors, and producers do need to be faithful to the series as much as possible.  However having said that viewers/fans have to realize what not everything on page translates on to film very well and have to be changed.  I think if Jim takes the time to work closely with the script writers it will be okay..

I don't disagree about what you saying about changing the color of an actor, but that doesn't bother me half as much as changing the sex of a character.. Because the character remains the same, just a different actor of color plays him or her.  Opera has done it for years, Tosca remains Tosca no matter the race of the singer playing her.  Dr Who is the latest, suddenly both the Doctor and the Master are women?  Why?  There are strong Time Ladies out there, Ramoda was one of them, so why change the sex of the Doctor? They did it with Captain Marvel as well.. Okay, now I wonder when Wonder Woman will become Wonder Man or Black Widow becomes Black Widower? ::)

The bolded part will only happen in Disney buys out Warner Brothers. Wonder Woman is part of the DC Comicbook Universe while Wonder Man is part of The Marvel Comicbook Universe. I think you are safe from that for awhile.