Author Topic: Harry's possible Denarian form?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline ApollonianAcolyte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Harry's possible Denarian form?
« on: April 10, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »
So, according to multiple comments by Jim, Harry had 3 choices or 'paths' in Changes: become Mab's Winter Knight, perform the Darkhallow or pick up Lasciel's coin.

Obviously in our timeline Harry became the WK but it got me thinking: if Harry had picked up Lasciel’s Coin in Changes, what would his Battle Form be like?

The obvious answer is like Hannah’s Battle Form. But, at least for me, that’s kinda… weird. I have a hard time picturing Harry transforming into something like that. But it probably would still be something at least somewhat alluring given that Jim has described the ‘Denarian path’ as being James Bond - lite.

So if not Hannah’s Battle Form, what would his form look like? What are your headcanons on this?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's possible Denarian form?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 12:46:22 AM »
A giant terrifying king of course.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 02:39:08 AM »
I'm not sure the "James Bond" thing was meant so much for a battle form as what Lasciel would have augmented him into the rest of the time, in social situations and such.

In terms of combat, presumably she would have been trying to build on what he already is, instead of turn a caster into a primarily physical fighter.  So count on supercharging his spells with Hellfire, and otherwise mostly focusing on improving his survivability.  It's not a form, but she probably could have taught him to improve the defensive enchantments on his clothes to something commensurate with Eb's, that gives a sort of force field even over what's not covered. Likely augmenting that with the same protective smoke around him that she was doing with Hannah.

I doubt Harry and Lasciel as a pair would have gone heavy on the shapeshifting - maybe toughened skin around the vitals and arms for fighting anything with claws, and some extra muscle in a pinch. But I'd guess down that path Harry probably still would have preferred in the longer term to do extreme exercise and use the Fallen to accelerate recovery between sessions - basically what he's doing with the Winter Knight path, only primarily for fight-preparedness instead of as strategy to keep the mantle tired.

It would have been an interesting arc, if the story had gone that way, between Lasciel teaching him enough advanced magic and going along with supporting workouts that the decision to pick up the coin seems rewarded, but vastly preferring improvements like the smoke and shapeshifting that push him deeper into dependency. Vs Harry knowing that's her game, and being way more interested in learning new spells that he can then use on his own, and putting on his own muscle even if she's helping.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:34:26 AM »

Yeah, I doubt that Harry's form would have changed because Lasciel wasn't into that.  Hannah the last person who took Lasciel's coin never changed her form.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
So, according to multiple comments by Jim, Harry had 3 choices or 'paths' in Changes: become Mab's Winter Knight, perform the Darkhallow or pick up Lasciel's coin.

Obviously in our timeline Harry became the WK but it got me thinking: if Harry had picked up Lasciel’s Coin in Changes, what would his Battle Form be like?

I'm betting on Mirror-Mirror Harry to be a Denarian; so I think we will get to see this!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
I'm betting on Mirror-Mirror Harry to be a Denarian; so I think we will get to see this!

I suspect that a lot of people will be disappointed when this book finally comes out.. ::)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 12:13:02 AM »

I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 01:31:17 AM »
If Susan died or was turned in Grave Peril Changes would  have never taken place since there couldn't have been a child.  Assuming she survived I don't know that Lasciel would have put up with a girlfriend who wasn't a Denarian.

However in the spirit of the thing, I suspect  Harry would be more polished, cleaner, more like ID Harry. But human looking otherwise.  And he has to have a hat. I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about Lasciel's eyes opening up over the brim. And she would have helped him heal his hand.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:45:03 AM by morriswalters »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:21:58 PM »
... If Susan died or was turned in Grave Peril Changes would  have never taken place since there couldn't have been a child.  Assuming she survived I don't know that Lasciel would have put up with a girlfriend who wasn't a Denarian.
It's just another mortal to corrupt.  Harry staying a KotBD would show where his real loyalties reside... Susan's just his side-piece.  I don't think a Fallen would condescend to any sort of "jealousy" or the like.  The Temptress -- via their host -- is going to sit in the center of a web of victims.

Harry+Lasciel looks an awful lot like unreformed Thomas, actually.  Mirror!Harry (edit: if he picked up Lasciel's coin) is liable to have more than one (mortal) lover... and maybe some immortals too.

... However in the spirit of the thing, I suspect  Harry would be more polished, cleaner, more like ID Harry...
I'm pretty sure there's a WoJ saying exactly this.  Remember who the Shadow said was "much more reasonable, my Host."

But with a neat little beard, exactly like the one Mirror!Spock sported in TOS.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 04:14:55 PM by g33k »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 12:14:16 AM »
Well it would depend on when he got the coin and which coin he got. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
Harry+Lasciel looks an awful lot like unreformed Thomas, actually.  Mirror!Harry is liable to have more than one (mortal) lover... and maybe some immortals too.

I think there was a WOJ about mirror Harry being close allies with Mavra...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 10:00:28 PM »
That would mean he is Black Council or Black Council adjacent in the Mirrorverse.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 12:04:04 AM »
That would mean he is Black Council or Black Council adjacent in the Mirrorverse.

I mean we don't know that. Cowl is Black Council and Mavra was the one to sic Harry on him in DB.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
My theory is the Black Council and Drakul are each playing their own game to the same end.

One of the purposes in the party in Grave Peril was for the Black Council to reach out to the Black Court for an alliance, in the same way they had with the Red Court and then the Fomor.

Battle Ground shows each is willing to use the other, but no real alliance. Mirror Harry isn’t going to go full blown Black Court. One of the outcomes from Garry’s decision in GP is that there is a full blown alliance. Each has their Starborn, so the Black Court cannot afford to be standoffish when Harry has the Word, and they don’t.